How to swap a solar panel (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Can I ask for your guidance please?

Do I need to follow specific sequence of steps to swap a failed solar panel with an identical new solar panel.

I only have one panel in the system.

The current (unhealthy) 110 W panel is wired directly into a victron 75/15 MPPT.

Many thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Disconnect one wire at the solar regulator input, and the negative from the output (or pull fuse). On the roof disconnect from the brackets and unplug the connectors. Then fit new panel and reverse procedure

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Disconnect one wire at the solar regulator input, and the negative from the output (or pull fuse). On the roof disconnect from the brackets and unplug the connectors. Then fit new panel and reverse procedure
For the OPs setup I would add one initial step if it is a SmartSolar 75/15 MPPT .... go into the config with VE.Connect and turn off the charger before doing the above.
Then turn it back on as the last thing after the swapover.
(belt and braces)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When it's all sorted reconnect the controller to battery first then the panel to controller..
Many controllers need a voltage so the controller knows it's a 12v battery and not 24v.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
When it's all sorted reconnect the controller to battery first then the panel to controller..
Many controllers need a voltage so the controller knows it's a 12v battery and not 24v.
With a Victron controller, once it has been connected for the very first time, it remembers so the order is not important.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back