ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
It's not quite that straight forward Alan. CCP push their services but only later do you find out the detail:

No where in that page does it say anything about limiting electric use to charging batteries.

I agree it's for a reason, to help their profits.

If the site states battery charging only or has low amperage outputs, it’s for a reason, not a challenge. Use the gas you carry with you so you can stop faffing around trying to use appliances that they obviously don’t want you to use.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
That sounds very cool. Being very mean im more inclined to abide by 6 * 220 watts and make sure we're both careful what we plug in than I am to go and spend 2k on inverters batteries and load monitors (some of our cars have cost less than that) but I do like the sound of it. I like the idea of the usp too that prevents one from tripping. I guess part of what puts me off is say we move vehicles again in 2-3 years ... although I suppose the equipment could be moved from one vehicle to another?

[QUOTE="marc4242,
Reallyretired, how do you connect eg a kettle to the inverter, is the inverter output connected to the mains circuit?
Yes
[/QUOTE]

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It's not quite that straight forward Alan. CCP push their services but only later do you find out the detail:

No where in that page does it say anything about limiting electric use to charging batteries.

I agree it's for a reason, to help their profits.
I agree, if it’s not clear on those sites, but my comments were aimed towards those who stay at a site or aire which actually states battery charging only or 6amp hookups then complain when their kettle or fan heater trips the power or try to get round these restrictions.
If low power outlets are common in Europe, then locals will know the limitations, that’s why most non UK market built vans do not come with electric hobs, microwave ovens or electric options on their heating.
They have gas and are not afraid to use it.
;)
Edit. Just spent less than a minute perusing CCP terms and conditions and it clearly states...”
  • Use electricity only to recharge my motorhome’s battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That sounds very cool. Being very mean im more inclined to abide by 6 * 220 watts and make sure we're both careful what we plug in than I am to go and spend 2k on inverters batteries and load monitors (some of our cars have cost less than that) but I do like the sound of it. I like the idea of the usp too that prevents one from tripping. I guess part of what puts me off is say we move vehicles again in 2-3 years ... although I suppose the equipment could be moved from one vehicle to another?

Yes
[/QUOTE]
You are right it is all very "cool" or Think so anyway but yes it can also get expensive making a van work just the way you want it to.

We don't use hook up much at all yet we can still use our 240v devices in the middle of a field, I do get a certain satisfaction from that but yes it comes at a cost and yes you could remove it all and take it to another van but my view is that it would then spoil a well set up van and detract from it's saleability.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We stayed in a German vineyard Stellplatz where a UK review slated the place because every time he switched his kettle on he tripped the supply

Clearly marked as 6A ? no doubt already had charger and fridge on as a minimum

We have been French sites that say battery charging only, that is what we do, although thinking about it don’t turn fridge off AES

Finding a way to get as much as needed rather than complying with the rules is not being clever it is taking the p1ss

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On a camper stop in the Pico mountains last year 3 times the electrics got tripped, guess what it was always when a Brit van came in, bleeding idiots. When it tripped it tripped the whole site including street lights & leisure centre next door and didn't get reset untill guy came round in the morning.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
On a camper stop in the Pico mountains last year 3 times the electrics got tripped, guess what it was always when a Brit van came in, bleeding idiots. When it tripped it tripped the whole site including street lights & leisure centre next door and didn't get reset untill guy came round in the morning.
I bet he was popular!.............not.:LOL:

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I would have thought that with a decent solar panel, the on board charger need not be used.

We rarely use our charger regardless of EHU or not.

No TV of course, but all other rechargeable appliances, laptop, phones etc..

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
What are you batteries Martin and do you know how long they last for?

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
You could spend some money on a couple of decent batteries and a Victron 2000 compact inverter charger. With its UPS feature enabled and the remote panel set to the EHU limit of 6 amps you can use what you like. If you have Alde add the load monitor and you are bomb proof.
And £3k lighter, so that will help with your payload?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back