How Much Are You Prepared to Pay for on Site Electicity (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
With a 50% rise in wholesale energy costs, an increase in the electricity price cap and for the first time finding a new default standard rate electricity deal cheaper than a so called advantageous fix rate deal. I'm beging to wonder when sites will increase EHU prices and by how much.
Are you willing to pay an extra £5 a night ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would rather have a lower amperage option

£5 should buy 25Kw minimum that’s a lot to use per day

we have used sites in France where you chose how many Amps you want to pay for and they change the breaker in the post 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
C&CC have been charging an extra £4 a night for ehu for a while now. At least they give you the choice unlike CAMC.
Only on certain pitches...And usually grass pitches.
I personally have not found a non electric hard standing pitch on a C&CC Site.. If your pitch has EHU you pay wether you use it or not.!!!

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I just pay it. Fiver a night? I'd still pay it.
But I do switch the water heating onto Electric, rather than Gas, if it is a costed extra rather than included in the pitch.

In Yerp, we occasionally have the aircon on at night time. You can't run that on battery and when the sun is round the other side of the planet.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If the pitch has power use it instead of gas for the hot water and fridge
BUT why should we HAVE to pay for a electric on a pitch that has EHU.
It used to be you paid for a pitch (CCC & CC amongst others) and if leccy required you paid extra.
Why should we be relegated to an inferior pitch when leccy not required and almost all pitches now have EHU. ????
Footnote.. the reason I no longer support club sites.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I only use campsites as a last resort which pretty much means water empty, black waste full, laptop drained, inverter power pack dead and beer needed (I don’t touch alcohol when wild camping)

Therefore it’s a luxury evening, and therefore I don’t tend to worry about the cost, but I do try to get my money back, cook on electric, fridge on electric, water heater/ heating on electric, charge everything all lights on especially the outside one if I’m near Renneskylark 😉 I even turn the gas off at the bottle to be sure.

In the morning I’ll fill the water to the brim, fill 2 x 25l water containers, empty black and grey and only come off EHU once I’m leaving, if it’s early I’ll give Renneskylark a beep or two to let him know my outside lights off

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m happy to pay for it, and would like it to be a low power amount to stop people wasting it, and taking the pee. I don’t mind paying for what I’ve used, but I hate the “pay before you use” option where I’ve no idea how much I need before I’ve used it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I bet to put a pay as you use meter on each pitch would cost a fortune along with on going maintenance, would they have to be checked by weights and measures as it’s being sold ?

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Only on certain pitches...And usually grass pitches.
I personally have not found a non electric hard standing pitch on a C&CC Site.. If your pitch has EHU you pay wether you use it or not.!!!
That’s because of the categorisation of pitch types. A “service pitch” is a packaged pitch type which is a hard standing pitch with EHU, a hard standing pitch without EHU and a grass pitch with EHU. All are sold at the same rate and this reflects the higher level of investment in creating and maintaining these pitches. However, there are very few hard standing pitches that don’t have EHU, so by default, if you don’t want to pay for electric then it’s a grass pitch. And yes you pay for the use of electric whether you use it or not because it’s in the package price.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I bet to put a pay as you use meter on each pitch would cost a fortune along with on going maintenance, would they have to be checked by weights and measures as it’s being sold ?
It works on many sites in Germany so why not here? Pay for what you use -- use nothing pay nothing.

Most of their meters are token in the slot type, tokens from the office or a machine, I've even seen that system on a Stellplatz or an Aire in France. In those cases it's worth looking for a meter that has been vacated but still has value left on it. Been there done that.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It works on many sites in Germany so why not here? Pay for what you use -- use nothing pay nothing.

Most of their meters are token in the slot type, tokens from the office or a machine, I've even seen that system on a Stellplatz or an Aire in France. In those cases it's worth looking for a meter that has been vacated but still has value left on it. Been there done that.
Yes but how much does it cost to install ? Someone has to pay for all these ideas

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
BUT why should we HAVE to pay for a electric on a pitch that has EHU.
It used to be you paid for a pitch (CCC & CC amongst others) and if leccy required you paid extra.
Why should we be relegated to an inferior pitch when leccy not required and almost all pitches now have EHU. ????
Footnote.. the reason I no longer support club sites.
Had a non electric pitch Cand CC Aviemore this week , Very inferior mixture of gravel and grass muddy round the sides, behind noisy toilet block, 100% shade brtween the bins and poo pot emptying spot £19.50 per night.
nothing else available (they said)

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Stopped at a site last autumn. Got told electricity was on meter during the winter. Fair enough. Cost less than their fixed summer rate 🤔

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I only use campsites as a last resort which pretty much means water empty, black waste full, laptop drained, inverter power pack dead and beer needed (I don’t touch alcohol when wild camping)

Therefore it’s a luxury evening, and therefore I don’t tend to worry about the cost, but I do try to get my money back, cook on electric, fridge on electric, water heater/ heating on electric, charge everything all lights on especially the outside one if I’m near Renneskylark 😉 I even turn the gas off at the bottle to be sure.

In the morning I’ll fill the water to the brim, fill 2 x 25l water containers, empty black and grey and only come off EHU once I’m leaving, if it’s early I’ll give Renneskylark a beep or two to let him know my outside lights off
You're paying for use of the shower block and toilets too, do you go in regularly and turn all the showers on full blast and flush every toilet to get your money's worth 🤔

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Had a non electric pitch Cand CC Aviemore this week , Very inferior mixture of gravel and grass muddy round the sides, behind noisy toilet block, 100% shade brtween the bins and poo pot emptying spot £19.50 per night.
nothing else available (they said)
Sorry you had a rubbish pitch. Not wanting to be pedantic, but you’ll probably think I am 😀. The C&CC doesn’t have a site at Aviemore, if you stayed at Glenmore that’s a Camping in the Forest site. The Club manages these on behalf of the Forestry Commissions, so investment and pricing etc on these sites is done by the Forestry, not the Club.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There is no doubt energy costs in the UK are increasing by a significant amount and when people switch over from there existing tariff they are going to pay significantly more. I'm of the view UK campsites will take advantage of this and increase the cost of lecce for its customers more than it will have pay for the supply and in essence users will get ripped off.
Most campsites in the E.U. charge by usage rather than a fixed amount and more and more are moving to this system.As an example camping Villasol charger €0.41 per kw/H and its down to the customer to determine how much they will use.
This is definitely going to drive more people down the solar route as once installed the energy provided is free and though lecce will still be required by many during the winter months at least it will be a cost effective solution. Us veterans can see how how much lecce has gone up over the years whilst those new to this game may well think they are paying a fair price when in fact they are getting shafted.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Here in Spain electric is so expensive we never use it on sites and most sites give you an option. We use solar (this is Spain after all) so save a lot. I think the UK prices are silly at £5 a night extra, but you may not have any choice.
We have been away this year 90 days to date.... that's a saving of £450 (UK price). Paid for my solar panels................

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Are you willing to pay an extra £5 a night ?
I wouldn't PAY £5 a night let alone extra!!
The only thing I have electric is the fridge but that works just as well on gas & 12v.
The only thing I would want is to charge my battery drill & disc cutter. I¡ll have to buy a smaller inverter for doing that as the one I have is far to big
Other than that I have no use for it.
I've only ever used one 'site' but that wouldn't be anything any of you would use having no dump or waste ,no music, no rubbish disposal etc.

would they have to be checked by weights and measures as it’s being sold ?
They would also only be allowed to sell it at cost as you can't charge more than it costs you so that is why there are no metered supplies.
The £x per night is the way they can stripe you up for electric as you are paying for a fixed amount not per kwh.
I would not use anywhere that you had no choice but to have electric included.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fitted solar when Torreta started charging, it saves us about €15/month not including fridge use (that's on LPG) and the LPG saves us even more, can't remember the figures now but about half the cost of EHU 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back