How good is the satnav in a ducato (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
Good morning funsters
I would appreciate any input please, regarding the so called xzent xf270 satnav in a ducato, I was not happy with it when I first used it, and I have gone on line to up date and I am still of the opinion it’s a pile of S—T.
Your views would be very much appreciated.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
hate it ,,every time you drive down m6 at Birmingham it keeps thinking your on the road under, or over you,, keeps saying recalculating ,,dont bother with it now have an avtex 2 camper ,,and google maps linked to tablet in the tablet holder on the dash ,,👌

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plug

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
I don't know about sh*t but am very disappointed that you cannot enter vehicle weights and dimensions, other than that, it's been ok for us.
Great that you happy with it, I find it very frustrating and slow, as for your problem regarding size of motorhome, if you go on the website you can up grade the software that will allow you to put in the size of your motorhome.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Really? Hang on, I wonder if we have the same satnav after all. Mine is in a 22 plate Ducato (10" screen). Where do you locate the sat nav type? Perhaps I have just assumed they were the same?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plug

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
Really? Hang on, I wonder if we have the same satnav after all. Mine is in a 22 plate Ducato (10" screen). Where do you locate the sat nav type? Perhaps I have just assumed they were the same?!
Like wise, mine is on a 22plate
The make of satnav is xzent x-f270 if you have the manual it’s on page 16 under navigation software and map updates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plug

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
Thanks, will look. When you say go to the website and update, is that the Uconnect website or Fiat or xzent (is that the sat nav manufacturer?)
You get your laptop and log on to xzent site, you will need to to have a usb stick to down load onto,then connect to the usb stick in the usb port in the glove compartment on the top of the dashboard and follow the directions on the screen.
Good luck

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
One last question? How do I know myxzent is the f270? Looking at the xzent download page for the ducato, they also appear to have installed the xf275. Is there anywhere on the actual sat nav settings which tells me what I have?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plug

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
One last question? How do I know myxzent is the f270? Looking at the xzent download page for the ducato, they also appear to have installed the xf275. Is there anywhere on the actual sat nav settings which tells me what I have?
Hi mine has it printed on the case located bottom right, it should also come up with the model no when you fire it up

Upvote 0
Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
5W!b*ab3K#
hate it ,,every time you drive down m6 at Birmingham it keeps thinking your on the road under, or over you,, keeps saying recalculating ,,dont bother with it now have an avtex 2 camper ,,and google maps linked to tablet in the tablet holder on the dash ,,👌
I had a similar problem until I changed the antenna and it seems to be sorted. The one I fitted was an
ALPHA4A/1M/SMAM/S/S/26 by SIRETTA. It has a 1m lead that if your arial is mounted on the dashboard seems to be long enough. I also added some aluminium tape under it to give a stronger isolation to interference

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plug

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
The case? Is yours a standalone sat nav? Mine is built into the 10" entertainment screen ?
Good morning
Yes mine is built into the entertainment system just like yours was fitted as standard when I purchased the motorhome.
The photo is of the instruction booklet I received when I picked up the Motorhome

D9ED8136-48B0-4CEA-AAE4-E7357D7AD597.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I have the f270 in my Ducato and the number is shown in the lower right of the unit. I understood the f275 was for Ford.

Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
plug

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
I have the f270 in my Ducato and the number is shown in the lower right of the unit. I understood the f275 was for Ford.

Jim

Jim
Hi this is the device settings, the photo of the screen you will need to get to this point and press no 7 this should let you into the information you are looking for.

0E02D3F0-F4E4-4706-A566-7EC89901F607.jpeg 93024844-3DD1-488B-AF4E-2B4D67D0722C.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I beg to differ. I've done over 12000 miles in just over a year both in the UK and on the continent. As a solo traveller, I really need a good sat nav, and the Xzent has proved to be just that. I particularly like the clear voice instructions, and the enlarged maps when you come to a road junction or motorway junction are very good. It is, after all, a Tom Tom system. Its never let me down. As with any sat nav, one has to learn and get used to the way it works.

However, there are a couple of riders to that. The first is user error. Unless the user sets up the options in the menu carefully it doesn't perform at its best. For instance the width and height don't work well unless one sets the route preference to "easy". Set it to something like shortest or fastest and it does just that and will take you down narrow lanes.
Second, there is an issue with the gps aerial in motorhomes. This is usually mounted just under the dash and often does not receive a good signal. - That's easy to check by using the sat nav menu to see how many satellites it is picking up. Less than about 8 and something needs altering. Usually just moving it above the dash cures the problem, or it may be some electronics (phone, tablet, or tracker for example) that is close by and interfering.

Admittedly there are better sound systems out there, the DAB radio is improved with the latest updates BTW.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks I appreciate this. I never received this manual so it will be helpful to at least add my dimensions!
Spend a bit of time going through each aspect of the sat nav menu system and finding out what each option does. The manuals can be found on the Xzent website under the heading "Support".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Having had various sat navs in various vehicles I recall one which was a single DIN (slim old style radio slot) the sat nav was two dimensional and simplistic showing left and right hand turns along with exit on roundabouts, there was a little more info such as the turning is the 2nd turn on the leafy or right. It always got me to where I needed to be. But people were quite critical of the system.

I sometimes think that people get used to one system and when faced with another say the new one is S**t compared to a previous model, yet as long as it gets you from A to B who cares!

I have had issues with most but technology is what it is, and we just have to accept sometimes technology disappoints. I still like that old 2 dimensional single din display it wasn’t distracting and have just enough information which I think people were loosing their minds over as it wasn’t in colour and displaying a full map.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020

Jim
Hi All
The xf270 is an earlier model made for the Ducato but it does not have Apple Play. This unit was superseded in 2022 by the xf275 which has the addition of apple car play. The XF285 is for the Ford Transit . I hope this helps 👍

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Same thing happens in my XC60 new Volvo so I wouldn't let that be a point of interest.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back