How effective are Silver Screens (or the like), at keeping the van cooler in summer? (1 Viewer)

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
We're heading to France June and July and can't decide if its worth losing the extra space that the Taylor Mades take up.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We manage fine with internal removeable blinds or the fitted blinds. Rarely use external these days as they take up a lot of room and are a pain if they get wet.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We've got internal blinds. If it's really hot, I've got a silver screen that fills most of the front window of our A-class that squeezes in the gap. It's like a pop-up tent that folds into a pouch the size of a dinner plate. It keeps the van a little cooler.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I've been toying with the idea as well. I think I might get some but to work the other way round, as in keeping warmth in during the winter months. Storage is an issue though in a PVC, so still procrastinating.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We don’t bother with our silver screens in the summer anymore. Even in winter I think we’d only use them if it was really cold and we were staying a while. As Howard B says they are a pain when wet. If we are moving about I am far too lazy to faff with that. We have Remus cab blinds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I use external screens much more than the internal set I've got. They significantly reduce condensation, and they are more effective at keeping the van cool in summer because the sun never hits the glass of the windscreen. When I've been using my internal screens I've noticed that it's warmer inside. However, sometimes I like the flexibility of the internal ones as they're in three separate sections so I can just put up the ones which are on the sunny side and enjoy the view the other way! I don't find the external ones particularly difficult to manage. The bag is waterproof so if I pull them off wet I just wipe off the worst of the water & put them in the bag which sits on the top of the boxes in the back of the van and takes up surprisingly little room.
But I have a small PVC, so things may be different with large PVCs or motorhomes.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
What Tonks said. We have silver screen (the internal type) plus slidey blind things at the front plus an external fit blind and of the options, the external blind performs the best in all circumstances and really isn't a faff to deal with.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We currently have Minster Polar silver screens with an additional front mesh privacy panel & consider them essential kit for both summer & winter. If space is an issue, then for summer, suggest just a full set of privacy mesh screens https://polartechnologies.co.uk/products/full-privacy-mesh?variant=31843108061289 as these give effective shade & work well in combination with internal Remis blinds.

Upvote 0

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
only had 2 nights where I used automatic drop down blinds……… not as efficient as external silver screens in keeping van cooler / in summer / no condensation at all

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Have a look on Temu they do windscreen blinds, internal in varying sizes with some very funny scenes on from around £10 designed to reflect the sun

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
+1 for Taylor made external screen.... condensation can be quite a problem, even with a window vac. If you have the space to carry the screen ......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've been toying with the idea as well. I think I might get some but to work the other way round, as in keeping warmth in during the winter months. Storage is an issue though in a PVC, so still procrastinating.
Hold that thought @ 5.4 metres we have a short PVC so a rack and a storage box may be the solution the PVC will still be under 6 metres for the ferry. So the thought is that silver screen and other Thule blockers can all fit. I guess it is like have an external garage where many MoHo’s have internal ones. The only down side is we wouldn’t be able to place our bike rack on or tow a car.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If the screen is on the outside of the Glass ,they are effective!

Once the Sun is on the glass and the screen is on the inside , sorry to say this! but you are wasting your time!

After living and working in Australia, where in the summer tempertures can reach in the high 40c s , and working in houses that have several layers of thick curtains, and the temperture was almost unbearable, my house, with all the windows covered with roll down screens outside was ,although still warm, was bearable.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, they make a huge difference.

With standard internal blinds, the heat builds up.

We have habitation A/C and with just the internal screens, it struggled s bit.

At first, I just bought some bubble insulation from screwfix. That worked okay. But we had to stick the edges down.

We now have tailor made external screens and they work great, winter or summer.

38-42c they worked brilliant

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
We use external in preference to internal screens and they take up similar space.
We have a waterproof bag, but if they get very wet I might put them in the bathroom to dry a bit.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have a look on Temu they do windscreen blinds, internal in varying sizes with some very funny scenes on from around £10 designed to reflect the sun
You sent me down a rabbit hole! Here is one for Northernraider.
IMG_6129.jpeg

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have a super-lightweight fitted silverscreen - I don't think it's available anymore?

It easily fits in the driver's door pocket, with still some room for a few other bits and bobs.

It works very well keeping the van cool when it's really hot; and also works reasonably well to insulate the front windows when cold.

Pic below was taken in scorching weather in Germany - doesn't look too neat, because I hadn't bothered to tie it down properly - just in place during the daytime.

IMG_20170531_174133875-2.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
We have the minster polar screens with the front panel fold down privacy mesh. They stop all condensation on the main/side windows + obviously help with winter heat retention and summer cooling. If they get wet and we're packing up then we just wipe down as much dampness as we can and then roll it up and stow in the shower until either home or the next pitchup.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
External every time especially on the heat. I reckon they are better at keeping the heat out, than keeping it in during the cold. That makes sense as they are quite reflective if you keep them clean. We travel with cats, so keeping the van cool is a bigger priority. Put that up, and the window blinds n the sunny side, plus roof blinds over, windows on other side on first latch and the van stays very cool.

If really sunny, I put a white towel over the outside of the windows on that side as well.

The internal screens are OK, but nowhere nearer as efficient. As said, when wet, pop it into the shower. Also makes quite good cushioning to stop other things rattling in the locker.

Don't go anywhere without ours.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use ours all year round, they have the panel in the middle that pulls down so you can let light in and have a view. Also good theft deterrent as it’s harder to open the doors fully when fitted plus the time to remove them would make the van next to yours more attractive.

Upvote 1
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
We have Taylormade, for Ducato based Kon-Tiki 599 and it works well to exclude heat and insulate in cold, eliminating condensation.
"lives" in the shower wouldn't travel without it.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Pending Purchase
I’d say essential. We have a Rainbow screen for our current van and find it really good in both hot and cold conditions. Packs up nicely even when wet, a quick wipe and it’s good to pack away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Thanks for your replies folks. Looks like we'll be taking them. We've got plenty room to store them in the back of our PVC, they just always seem to be in the way.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Thanks for your replies folks. Looks like we'll be taking them. We've got plenty room to store them in the back of our PVC, they just always seem to be in the way.
Way we look at them they never in way, as they're in back of van when travelling, and on windscreen when stopped.

Similar to turning on the gas, as part of arrival routine ours is to turn on gas, sort ehu if available, and put silver screen on. Alongside numrious other tasks that also fill the van with junk like take chairs outside and extend awning if it's sunny and on a site allowing awnings.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
External screens are a godsend in summer, especially if on a site for 10 days and you accidentally leave the drivers window open. We were really cool 😉
wouldn't be without them they also mean we don't need to shut the front curtains and appear to have more room.
Had internal fitted screens in our first van, we bought the silver screens after our first time away, 2 nights, snow and loads of condensation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back