How do your store your bikes inside (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have just purchased a new carthago motorhome which has a huge rear storage locker

My question is how do you store 2 bikes securely in the back I am after a quick and easy way that will store them without the risk of them falling over or rubbing together and getting damaged

Would rather not have anything rails etc on the floor if possible but realise this may be required would like some sort of system that holds the bikes steady using arms not straps

Cheers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I had two of the clamp arms from a Fiama Bike Rack mounted on a bar I fitted to the front garage wall. These held the bikes apart and quite securely. I thought about screwing the Fiama wheel straps to the floor but never did. Now carry a scooter which for us is far better than the bikes. We get our exercise from walking.
Steve

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Yes I did think about something along those lines
Did you find that the wheels moved at all after a journey with them not being fixed down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Yes I did think about something along those lines
Did you find that the wheels moved at all after a journey with them not being fixed down
No, the arms seemed to hold them ok which is why I never strapped them down. With all the other stuff I carry the wheels were chocked with that.
Steve

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have got vertical posts from plinth to garage ceiling(probably a retrofit by a previous owner).

We lean both bikes together with inside one with its pedal on the plinth.

We then ratch strap from one vertical pole to the other around both bikes so they cannot move and rub, unlike with bungees.

Never any damage in 8 years. It keeps them on the front wall of the garage leaving easy access to the other half.

Geoff

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
To avoid making holes in your van, use a sheet of thin, light ply and glue/screw pieces of 2"x 1" to it where the wheels will stand. This will hold the bikes steady. Then get a telescopic/adjustable shower curtain pole, with rubber suckers at each end, and fit it front to back or side to side and strap/tie/bungee the bikes to it.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Thule Veloslide, expensive but if you've spent that much on the van and have good bikes then worth it. Can also be moved to the next van.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff

Have you any pics of your set up

Sorry not at the moment as the bikes are in the house basement and we have got a busy w/e ahead. Basia is on her way back from Gdansk.

One thing I would add is that for garage or storage lockers these vertical poles are excellent anchor points for ratchet straps. We use ours for securing lots of other stuff in the garage - spare water, hose reel, boxes etc., basically anything that could fall over or slide around. They were there when we bought the MH, so credit to whoever installed them. Pity converters do not fit them as standard.

Geoff

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Bikes (they fold) are in bags and the bags strapped to the fixing eyes that were in the van when we bought it new. They don't shift! We have also carried them assembled and not in bags but it was a struggle to get them in and out again.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Someone on here posted this solution a we while back, they come in 2 or 3 bike models, he used them to support the bikes and also his tables and chairs vertically if that makes sense.
They are metal, but dont weigh much he told us at the time, seems like a good idea, mounted to the floor with a 6mm plywood plinth/base so no screws through floor, and fully removable for cleaning out the garage.

Les

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Or even this type, for bigger wheels

Les

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I like the idea of a shower curtain style pole as don't really want to drill anything this may be something I will explore

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Hi lanebike, we have a FIamma bike rack which was removed from our Carthago on delivered as not required, its brand new unused and for 2 bikes, it's available if of interest.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hi lanebike, we have a FIamma bike rack which was removed from our Carthago on delivered as not required, its brand new unused and for 2 bikes, it's available if of interest.

Hi
Do you know the model number so I can look it up still not sure as I wanted to try and avoid having anything on the garage floor

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I still have this vision in my head of having like a towel rail type rail on the back wall and having 2 fiamma or thule type arms coming off it onto the bikes to hold them ridged this way I have nothing on the floor

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
It's the garage standard bike carrier if you look on page 118 of Fiamma 2018 catalogue it's shown there FP:702233

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I only carry one bike but it is a heavy ebike.
I have a spare wheel and tyre which stands upright against the front wall in the centre of the van and is just secured with bungee cords. The bike frame leans against the tyre and is then secured to the fitted floor level track with ratchet straps front and rear. It never moves and with two bikes a blanket or similar between them should work OK.

Richard.

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Attached is photo of bike rack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 149
Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
No problem we have Carthago a class 149 we have had it since2015 really please with it we have a scooter so we have no need for bikes :)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Hi
Do you know the model number so I can look it up still not sure as I wanted to try and avoid having anything on the garage floor

I may have not made myself clear!

The idea of having the thin light ply is to avoid having anything fixed to the floor.

If you get a thin sheet of ply and by screwing pieces of 2" x 1" onto the sheet from underneath the sheet of ply, you can then loose lay it onto the floor of your garage.

The idea of the 2" x 1" timber fixed to the upper side of the loose laid ply is to create "troughs" for your wheels/tyres to sit inside each trough, so you need to measure and make the troughs to fit where the wheels will sit.

The shower curtain rail is spring loaded and can be fitted either vertically or horizontally as you wish.

Last edited:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I use a bungee cord to hold one bike to the spare wheel at the front of the garage and bungee the other to the rear wall. A motorbike goes between them with odd bits of packing material to prevent metal to metal contact.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Rad fazz. It doesn’t fit the criteria of no rails but I’ve found this way of mounting bikes easy and secure. Just front wheel out, no twisting bars, compact, no faffing with tie downs. Although I do use a couple on the bosses new e bike . Compact rails don’t hinder on floor space
D00F4947-1D2A-46D5-A9D1-5744776AFBEB.jpeg

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
If I had a garage in my van I dread to think of the crap I would fill it with :giggle:

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We fitted a Fiamma Sport G2 Motorhome Garage Bike Rack inside the garage of our Adria. prior to that we used to hold the 2 bikes in place against the garage headboard with a load of bungie straps, took ages to get them out and put back, now it takes less than 5 mins.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Try it without anything first see if it works, we have a built in bike rack in the garage but don't use it, easier to just wheel the in and they prop up on their own, a couple of pillows in between for protection. Much easier to then get them out when required

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We carry bikes in our garage (Hymer Exsis) we carry them on a track which fit onto the existing rails, they simply bolt onto the rails.

Radfazz are the brand , bought them from a funster who didn’t need them anymore (in fact I , Hymer rebadge then and sell them as their own. Have a look at the Radfazz website.

Hope this photo helps

F58BA300-43C4-4017-B843-A2D25A02C8A8.jpeg

Edit : Just spotted @Chipster has already recommended this (in fact I think we bought ours from him!!)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back