How do you sterilise your waste water tank before laying up? (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
We’ve just put Bob, our MoHo, back into it’s storage site for the winter. I’m likely to bring it back home for a few “mods” over the Crimbo period and I’m wondering what all you other funsters do to sterilise the waste water tank? All I did yesterday was let the 25% full waste water down the sewage manhole at home, shut the outlet, drain the fresh water and empty the hot water heater. When I bring it home at Crimbo I have a 20ish mile drive with plenty of twists n turns to get anything in the tanks to slosh around. Any and all advice appreciated!

Cheers!

Russ

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Dishwasher tablets work well. They are also very good at cleaning your waste pipes from the sink and shower. Ivdd Ed found themselves very effective

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use Aqua Midi tablets. Make sure you run the treated water through the taps until you can taste/smell the chemical has filled the pipes. Dissolve the tablets first in hot water if you can before adding it to the water tank. They take much longer to dissolve in cold water.

I leave our van lke this for long periods even over the winter but then we don't get hard frosts down here very often. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
As above no point in cleaning your tank if it’s going in storage for it’s winter holiday, just open taps and when first used then clean it.

Steamy

Free Member
Dec 8, 2020
High Peak
Funster No
MH
Sprinter under conve
Exp
15 years
Reckon one of those guys in the lab know the answer to that one Russ 🤣🤣

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I put two caps of bleach down the drain and leave it.

Mar 24, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
a large bottle of cheap cola down the plug holes does a prett good job of detoxing the pipes and waste tank

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Cola? That’s an interesting idea. I’ve seen what a job it does on copper coins.

Thanks for that Stuart.

Russ

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would think cola in a tank will just attract flies, wasps, ants, and then dry to some sticky mess like it does in the bottom of a glass. I also would be concerned about it stripping any protective lacquer off the level gauge probes.

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Every couple of years. Or should I say, when I remember, I put dishwasher cleaning tablets into the waste water tank. Note, not dishwasher tablets but the cleaning tablets. Dissolve them and pout it down the drains in the kitchen and the bathroom. Also, I use the Cola method for killing the smells. On a hot day in Greece the tank can really stink. A bottle of cheap cola really does freshen it up and we have never seen any problems.

Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MG
Exp
6 years
Put some Milton (diluted as per instructions) in the fresh water tank and pull it through the pipes and let it go in to the waster tank. Have a drive around to swish the waste tank, then drain down and leave the taps open. We do our twice per year.

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
Clean the system in the new year. The only thing we do is take the MH out to the garden centre every couple of weeks, if it’s dry.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Clean the system in the new year. The only thing we do is take the MH out to the garden centre every couple of weeks, if it’s dry.
Fenwicks do a product for tank cleaning, fresh and waste in one product. No idea how good shave only used flushing with fresh water in the waste tank direct in the top access. Seems to work for me. I suppose the issue might be about cleaning the level sensor which is not easy to get at.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Put some Milton (diluted as per instructions) in the fresh water tank and pull it through the pipes and let it go in to the waster tank. Have a drive around to swish the waste tank, then drain down and leave the taps open. We do our twice per year.
Be careful - I've heard stories that he chlorine in Milton can ruin the boiler if left too long.

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
Quarter tank of water and a bottle of bleach then go for a drive.

OG1

Dec 9, 2013
Sutton on Sea camping
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 7066F
Exp
Since 2008
Clean the system in the new year. Take the van to the garden centre every couple off weeks, have a cup of coffee. Just hope next year will be better. I hope.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't bother with sterilisation but used to put disinfectant into the waste when I noticed that the waste water was unusually pongy.
What you have done is almost sufficient: make sure taps and shower head are left open and remove the bowl from the pump filter (if there is one).
Do something to remind you to close the switch and replace the filter bowl when you're ready to go again.

Maudie 64

Free Member
Aug 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autocrise Vista
We’ve just put Bob, our MoHo, back into it’s storage site for the winter. I’m likely to bring it back home for a few “mods” over the Crimbo period and I’m wondering what all you other funsters do to sterilise the waste water tank? All I did yesterday was let the 25% full waste water down the sewage manhole at home, shut the outlet, drain the fresh water and empty the hot water heater. When I bring it home at Crimbo I have a 20ish mile drive with plenty of twists n turns to get anything in the tanks to slosh around. Any and all advice appreciated!

Cheers!

Russ
I have put lime cordial down pipes. Acitic acid

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Haven't had the Winter lay up yet, but we do the 'driving slosh wash' and have added some Bio Washing Liquid down the sink, bathroom sink and shower drains [it' also used in the toilet cassette, just more frequently!] and then add around 10 litres of fresh water across the 3 drainage points.

Steve & Elaine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back