How do you know when the Porta potti is full? (1 Viewer)

The Shakeys

Free Member
Apr 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coming Conversion
Some of the Porta Potti models have a level gauge.

But the 145 and 165 do not. How on earth do you know when to empty them, you don't want tobwait until they are overflowing.

Any experience with non indicated models anyone?

Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Some of the Porta Potti models have a level gauge.

But the 145 and 165 do not. How on earth do you know when to empty them, you don't want tobwait until they are overflowing.

Any experience with non indicated models anyone?

Thanks
Congratulations, a toilet thread on your first post. It normally takes ages to start one, no hello Iā€™m new or words like that, boom straight in there. :notworthy2:

Oh, I look into the top of the cassette through the flap. šŸ‘

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Congratulations, a toilet thread on your first post. It normally takes ages to start one, no hello Iā€™m new or words like that, boom straight in there. :notworthy2:

Oh, I look into the top of the cassette through the flap. šŸ‘
No sense of decorum some folk!
You'll fit in well here :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Look inside when the flap is open. I'm in the habit of emptying ours daily, it's a bit heavy when full.
I agree. Just make it part of the daily routine.

If you do overfill it do not remove the cassette, first swing the emptying arm out and drain as much of the excess off as you can into another container.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_0678.GIF

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Perhaps I may suggest daily emptying!
Avoids any uneccisary embarrassing events, whatever you may have deposited.
This is the clean response! šŸ˜‚
Good luck. šŸ˜Š
In this pandemic we only use our own loo so it gets fuller quicker and yes just empty it daily even with the indicator lights I know itā€™s not full but more pleasant (dubious wording) than waiting until full.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Shakeys

The Shakeys

Free Member
Apr 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coming Conversion
This is brilliant guys, really useful info. Also I needed to laugh and I haven't laughed in ages like I did after reading some of these.

Hello my name is Jamie and I'm planning a new camper van build for my family and I, 5 in total, so is going to be a challenge.

Another question please: Bellow flush or piston, is piston worth the extra, or is it flushing money down the pan, pardon the pun?

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Jamie, welcome! Buy a 365 for about Ā£90, piston, level indicator and has a more van type feel. It has the same capacity as the 165... which is better than those fitted and plumbed into motorhomes and they're also a bit taller than the other two you've mentioned which is surprisingly important.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! There are three main types of MH loo: the self-contained Porta-potti, cassette ones and those using black tanks. At the fringes are a fourth group using the composting loos. These are for those who wear wool jumpers at the same time as the wool is still being used by the sheep.

What is best for you depends on many factors but the cassette types are by far the commonest.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome! There are three main types of MH loo: the self-contained Porta-potti, cassette ones and those using black tanks. At the fringes are a fourth group using the composting loos. These are for those who wear wool jumpers at the same time as the wool is still being used by the sheep.

What is best for you depends on many factors but the cassette types are by far the commonest.
DBK, there's another which is beginning to gain popularity, the gas powered Cinderella incinerator toilet. It produces simple biodegradable ash and is now designed to fit into motorhomes.

Uses about 110g of gas per use... no sheep required!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DBK, there's another which is beginning to gain popularity, the gas powered Cinderella incinerator toilet. It produces simple biodegradable ash and is now designed to fit into motorhomes.

Uses about 110g of gas per use... no sheep required!
I'd forgotten about those. I fear a 110g fart is beyond me. Must be an age thing. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Great thread and welcome to the toilet fun, there is something most of us find disgusting, funny, queezie, extraordinary, interesting, smelly, juvenile, amusing and if you have not seen the u tube video of some people emptying a van/MH toilet please have a look it is quite uproarious. I find my son and I and he is nearly 30 find anything to do with a receptacle for excretion or the act itself very chuckle making. Dear God, please may I never grow up šŸ™

Upvote 0

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Chem toilets are like a time machine, open the flap and see your past.
The cassette is surprisingly heavy when full so ours gets emptied when it's about 3/4 full.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We've just had 2 nights away offgrid and yesterday morning started playing "toilet roulette", whereby the light was on but I couldn't be arsed to drag the cassette up the hill to the top of the site to empty it and just waited until we were driving out!
I think we had about one wee capacity left šŸ¤£

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When it's getting a bit full, you may be rewarded with a "Neptune's kiss" when you go to "drop the kids off at the pool" !o_O

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
believe me, you won't make the mistake of overfilling more than once. And with 5 travelling, especially children, it will fill much faster than you think

Then you get the problem that there will always be one that claims to be desperate for the loo when you are just about to or are already emptying it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back