How do I lock the habitation door from the inside? (1 Viewer)

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All....stupid question....But I am struggling to see how I lock the habitation door from the inside on my ”new to us” 2008 Frankia....the key operates the lock from the outside fine, but I’m struggling to find out how to lock it from the inside....on the inside it has the handle to pull and open the door and a smaller one next to it, this is the same set up as the inside of the drivers door where you just push the small handle in and it locks, the same does not work on the habitation door....anybody any suggestions? Many thanks 👍😀

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have a lock for the doors on the dash board.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
image.jpg
That’s the inside handle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Small one locks it, Try it with door open. Perhaps the door is not fully closed, get some one to push it while you try to lock it,

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
View attachment 476052That’s the inside handle
That looks like the same as our door. To lock, push in the small left lever. It unlocks when you pull the larger handle. To check it is working, lock it and then go out through the cab (or have somebody outside) and try to open the door, without the key!

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Ok, so it’s working to a fashion....it seems that you have to lock it and unlock it with the key then go inside and it will work by pushing the small lever and then you can unlock/lock as many times as you like from the inside...but if you then lock it again with the key you cannot unlock it straight away from the inside, similar in some way to a child lock on the rear car doors! Is this normal?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Isn't there a switch in the middle of the dash with a picture of a pad lock on it?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
On my Frankias (IIRC), when the door is locked the small lever is pushed in, whether it was locked from the inside by pushing the small lever or with the key from the outside. To unlock from the inside, pull the large lever once, which unlocks it, then pull again to open it.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
On my Frankias (IIRC), when the door is locked the small lever is pushed in, whether it was locked from the inside by pushing the small lever or with the key from the outside. To unlock from the inside, pull the large lever once, which unlocks it, then pull again to open it.
Thanks....it seems mine has a mind of its own, I’ve tried it quite a few times now and it works, but just in an odd way to get it to lock initially on the inside...

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hi All....stupid question....But I am struggling to see how I lock the habitation door from the inside on my ”new to us” 2008 Frankia....the key operates the lock from the outside fine, but I’m struggling to find out how to lock it from the inside....on the inside it has the handle to pull and open the door and a smaller one next to it, this is the same set up as the inside of the drivers door where you just push the small handle in and it locks, the same does not work on the habitation door....anybody any suggestions? Many thanks 👍😀
There are no such thing on here as a stupid question, so please never be shy about asking how something works. :unsure:

We're here to help if we can. (y)

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
There are no such thing on here as a stupid question, so please never be shy about asking how something works. :unsure:

We're here to help if we can. (y)
The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. 😁

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Different motorhome and door but same problem with solution here

Does anything in that thread transfer to your locks?

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
If you can't lock the door - just leave your smelly sock by the door overnight - that will scare off anyone who opens up! :eek:

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Different motorhome and door but same problem with solution here

Does anything in that thread transfer to your locks?
Hi keven....just had a quick read of the thread and yes it does seem familiar...I will read in more detail after work. Thankfully it does lock now with said weird way of doing it! Thanks again (y)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
When we had the Frankia the door lock was like yours. I found that if the door wasn't fully closed the small locking lever at the side could not be pushed into it's locked position. Opening the door again and giving it a good slam (to the annoyance of the neighbours) often solved the problem.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I had the same on my Peugeot Boxer, appears you need to lock the door with the key from the outside, then turn it back a quarter turn so the key is horizontal, get inside and you can then lock it by turning the handle, hope this helps 😉

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Child locks used to have an on/off lever on the outside edge of the door, near the actual locking mechanism, round to the right on your photo. Don't suppose it's got one of them?

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
I had the same on my Peugeot Boxer, appears you need to lock the door with the key from the outside, then turn it back a quarter turn so the key is horizontal, get inside and you can then lock it by turning the handle, hope this helps 😉
Hi Ginster, I think what you have described is spot on with my situation....it locks on the inside no problem, so I’m just happy I got to the bottom of it, but just seems a little odd! 😀

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Child locks used to have an on/off lever on the outside edge of the door, near the actual locking mechanism, round to the right on your photo. Don't suppose it's got one of them?
Thanks, I meant to pop out and look at a few things in the van after work, but didn’t get round to it, will take a look hopefully tomorrow 👍

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
When you use the key in the outside of door, does it feel springy?
I had exactly that problem with mine and it was the spring inside the locking mechanism had broken, this does not allow the levers to reset to the correct position.
Real pain to access as the door trim panel has to be removed for access, after finding the problem I was informed by local agent that a new handle lock assembly would be needed only €180 sir, I bought some spring wire of correct diameter and made a replacement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back