House Insurnace - 90 Day Unoccupied Cover (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Doing the annual home insurance check and not really happy with the cost of C&MC quote for last year so lord knows what it will be this year but had no options. It seems M&S Premier, which has a 5 star Defacto rating, covers you for 90 days away from the home for any one trip, that isn't the total number of days away in a year. It is over £100 cheaper than my premium for last year and most of the cover is unlimited.

I am waiting for my renewal letter to see what this years cost will be but pretty sure I will be moving to them.

The one question I haven’t asked yet is if there are any endorsements re heating when away yet but I will be, so will keep this thread up dated on progress. It is good to have other options.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were with SunLife with 90 days away per trip but they declined to renew as they were no longer offering 90 days (underwriter change I think) so couldn't match our criteria however I did a comparison and changed to Halifax this time round for 60 days (90 was an option) as we felt that it would be sufficient bearing in mind the situation at present and we could up it to 90 days if we need to in the future.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So as promised an update. I have taken out the policy after a number of calls to clarify a few points. One of the real pluses of this policy is the bike cover. I'll try and be brief and cover the major points.

We have taken out the Premier policy which almost has unlimited everything but they do have a Standard Policy. I found, that when I compared both policies, there was only about £30.0 difference between the two policies when you compared like for like and the premier policy had better cover. It is a 5 star defacto policy and under written by Aviva.

Bike cover.
This policy covers electrical assist bikes! We don't have one but I know some people struggle to get a reasonable quote for them. It is a really good policy as all you have to do is insure for the value of the most valuable bike or bikes and all your bikes will be covered. I asked for £6000 worth of cover and the cost was circa £33.00!
The bike(s) are also covered on the back of a motorhome provided they are locked on as the motorhome is deemed to be an immovable object provided the bike rack is bolted on.

This is the same as the TSB Pick and Protect policy but has higher bike values and covers electric assist bikes.

Un-occupancy
maximum of 90 days with no requirements for visits, minimum temperatures etc. and there is no limit on the number of trips away. Some policies limit you to a certain number of days away in any given year.

Contents Away from the Home. (All Risks essentially)
Play about with the amount as the premium does not change from £2000 to £5000

Finally you can apply via Topcashback and get £40.00 cashback for building and contents or £20.00 for building or contents. Cost - we saved about £140 on the C&MC quote and my TSB bike insurance which I can now cancel.

Hope this helps someone particularly those people who are new to this motorhome malarkey!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
So as promised an update. I have taken out the policy after a number of calls to clarify a few points. One of the real pluses of this policy is the bike cover. I'll try and be brief and cover the major points.

We have taken out the Premier policy which almost has unlimited everything but they do have a Standard Policy. I found, that when I compared both policies, there was only about £30.0 difference between the two policies when you compared like for like and the premier policy had better cover. It is a 5 star defacto policy and under written by Aviva.

Bike cover.
This policy covers electrical assist bikes! We don't have one but I know some people struggle to get a reasonable quote for them. It is a really good policy as all you have to do is insure for the value of the most valuable bike or bikes and all your bikes will be covered. I asked for £6000 worth of cover and the cost was circa £33.00!
The bike(s) are also covered on the back of a motorhome provided they are locked on as the motorhome is deemed to be an immovable object provided the bike rack is bolted on.

This is the same as the TSB Pick and Protect policy but has higher bike values and covers electric assist bikes.

Un-occupancy
maximum of 90 days with no requirements for visits, minimum temperatures etc. and there is no limit on the number of trips away. Some policies limit you to a certain number of days away in any given year.

Contents Away from the Home. (All Risks essentially)
Play about with the amount as the premium does not change from £2000 to £5000

Finally you can apply via Topcashback and get £40.00 cashback for building and contents or £20.00 for building or contents. Cost - we saved about £140 on the C&MC quote and my TSB bike insurance which I can now cancel.

Hope this helps someone particularly those people who are new to this motorhome malarkey!

Thanks for that info. Just checked with Direct Line and they can only do 90 days as a 1 off, not routine, so moving over to M&S :)

Thanks again.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Our house insurance is with CCC for 180 days unoccupied, covering multi-trips during the yearly insurance period. Insurer is Ageas.

Current premium is £220 for our particular circumstances. Don't know how this compares with other providers, but seems reasonable, considering the generally over-priced SE of England.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Our house insurance is with CCC for 180 days unoccupied, covering multi-trips during the yearly insurance period. Insurer is Ageas.

Current premium is £220 for our particular circumstances. Don't know how this compares with other providers, but seems reasonable, considering the generally over-priced SE of England.

Is that 180 consecutive days?

thanks
BigDean

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Is that 180 consecutive days?

thanks
BigDean

It could be up to 180 consecutive days. Basically you can take up to 180 days away, then return to UK and then take another 180 days....obviously not possible next year with the 90/180 day restrictions.

You can take a limitless number of shorter multi-trips provided non exceed 180 days duration. This was confirmed during a telephone conversation with one of their agents.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
It could be up to 180 consecutive days. Basically you can take up to 180 days away, then return to UK and then take another 180 days....obviously not possible next year with the 90/180 day restrictions.

You can take a limitless number of shorter multi-trips provided non exceed 180 days duration. This was confirmed during a telephone conversation with one of their agents.

Interesting, will give them a call. If it is not limited to 180 in a year and can be multiple long trips, then that would be great. I have EU residency, so intend to be on some long trips in the coming years.

Thanks

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
In June I took out home insurance with LV, three bed semi £102. Building and contents.
When discussing the quote on the phone asked about extending the time property was left unoccupied.
No problem, just give us a ring before you go and we will apply a "small" premium to cover the extra time left unoccupied.
So today with a heavy heart rang to see how small this would be.
Gave them my departure date and no end date required.
Requirements house kept at above 10 degrees, someone to call in once a week to move mail.
£14.50 and my house can now be left unoccupied till next June.
Just asked to give them a ring when we come back.
Over the moon.
Edited to add normal cover is 60 days.

Last edited:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Yes when I was talking to them initially, I was required to take out the policy before they could quote for the extension, but this could be applied almost immediately.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Home Protect covers your for 180 days unoccupied if you request it. Plus even during that period if you get someone, a friend of relative to stay overnight in your house then the 180 days is reset giving you another 180 day period of cover

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back