Hot water on gas , help please (1 Viewer)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Just trying to get the hot water working on gas . I’ve checked the internal isolation tap . Outside cover is off but I don’t understand how start heating the water . There doesn’t seem to be a green light when I turn it to the gas symbol . Any ideas please ?
A74550B3-D289-4511-928C-DF3DC86F95EA.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is the 12v system (hab battery) switched On?
Is the hab battery well charged?
Are you connected to EHU?

Presumably you don't have a manual for it so you can probably get one with a Google search.
E.g.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think it’s the ultra store control unit that’s faulty as I am getting no green or red lights . I’ve tried on and off EHU and replaced all the fuses .
BC1D5786-D27E-4E8C-B45D-751B91395C9B.png
. Trying to find a replacement. They are £130 at prima leisure !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Make sure the right hand dial is turned off or it will try to work off mains. If still nothing I suspect it's not getting 12v supply.
DP

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Out of interest Is the Ultraheat (230v) working?

As you've checked the fuses my next step would be to check with a test meter that there's voltage present at the Ultrastore control unit (especially since neither the red light nor the green light illuminates).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Out of interest Is the Ultraheat (230v) working?

As you've checked the fuses my next step would be to check with a test meter that there's voltage present at the Ultrastore control unit (especially since neither the red light nor the green light illuminates).
Which wires to I need to test please ?
image.jpg

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
If there was power getting to the unit I would have thought the green light would have come on (possibly followed by red if there is a fault detected)
My unit developed a fault about 3yrs ago and I replaced it, it’s very similar to yours.
They are very flimsy inside, no wonder they play up after a while.
Its a very simple job to change the unit, just a tad expensive.
BUT as advised above by Spriddler in post #5, check you have power getting to the unit first of all otherwise you might be wasting your money getting a replacement

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If there was power getting to the unit I would have thought the green light would have come on (possibly followed by red if there is a fault detected)
My unit developed a fault about 3yrs ago and I replaced it, it’s very similar to yours.
They are very flimsy inside, no wonder they play up after a while.
Its a very simple job to change the unit, just a tad expensive.
BUT as advised above by Spriddler in post #5, check you have power getting to the unit first of all otherwise you might be wasting your money getting a replacement
Thank you . What is the best way to test to ensure power is getting into the unit ?

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I’m having a go at reading the online manual.
I can’t see any wiring diagrams to show which colour is the 12v feed
As usual, the manufacturers info is about as much use as a chocolate teapot

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You could simply use your meter to habitation earth and put the positive to each of the wires in turn.
1 should read a voltage, if none assuming the hab electrics are switched on.....
Then no power supply.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS, I am happy to be corrected on that strategy but in the absence of a wiring diagram it is very much trial and error, ensuring that any nasty error is avoided 🙄

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I can’t seem to find any power but I am totally confused . There is a connection between the ultrastore control unit and the boiler , but where are the incoming power wires ?
13C34FFA-12C6-4439-B3CE-F061BB87AEE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
From the manual, it implies that all of the cabling from the Truma control unit goes to the boiler.
At least that’s where the Book of Words says the fuse is to be found, so it is possible all of the wires shown in your pic go direct to the boiler, one will then go to a gas valve another one (or poss 2 will go to the ignition unit on the gas burner, the other(s) will be the 12v feed.
It sounds so simple, I’m sure it’s not, good luck

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Make sure the right hand dial is turned off or it will try to work off mains. If still nothing I suspect it's not getting 12v supply.
DP
Not sure the right hand dial is related to the hot water Truma part.
I’m only a Ultrastore owner but think the Ultraheat part relates to heating.

Off picture, the Ultraheat will have a separate mains on/off switch. You can have mains only, 12v only or both on. Combined you get hot water faster. 😀
In this pic, we’re not heating water.
E69FDAF9-C5ED-4F57-89CE-DA484020F6AB.jpeg

The outer dial of the right side panel is off or on gas. The inner dial is how hot. Max. is 70degC. On gas, a green light comes on. And after 30min or so, you’ll have hot water. Or a red light comes on if there’s no gas - due to no gas or too much air.
In this state, you need to turn the Ultraheat gas selector to off.
And try again in a couple of minutes.

On EHU the left side on/off is for mains power. When that’s on, expect HW in over 40min. Always 70degC

Turn on Gas and EHU power and get HW in :h:0min 😆

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
No one else has said it so I will. Is your gas on? And... do you have water in the heater tank (not just air)?

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
No one else has said it so I will. Is your gas on? And... do you have water in the heater tank (not just air)?
Thank you for the suggestion. The issue is there is no power . If the gas was off the light would go to red . I don’t get any lights at all .

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
going to order a new control unit and wiring loom . In the past the light did come on so something has stopped working . Worth a try .

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you for the suggestion. The issue is there is no power . If the gas was off the light would go to red . I don’t get any lights at all .
ah, I didn't think that through properly, sorry.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Which wires to I need to test please ?
I'm not familiar with that heater and would need to refer to a wiring dia. but I'm dodging tropical rain showers at the moment re-felting my shed roof and have just stopped for a quick brew.
However, I find it odd/suspicious that neither the red nor green lights are illuminating at all. You say you've checked the fuses. I don't know how many are involved in the entire heater 12v supply/circuitry but it's worth double checking whether there's either still one that you haven't found that's blown or one of those you've checked (with a meter?) is actually blown.
Just for clarity, are other 12v systems working without being on EHU, (lights. loo pump etc?).
The difficulty with trying to diagnose online is that one doesn't know what an OP hasn't said. ;)

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I'm not familiar with that heater and would need to refer to a wiring dia. but I'm dodging tropical rain showers at the moment re-felting my shed roof and have just stopped for a quick brew.
However, I find it odd/suspicious that neither the red nor green lights are illuminating at all. You say you've checked the fuses. I don't know how many are involved in the entire heater 12v supply/circuitry but it's worth double checking whether there's either still one that you haven't found that's blown or one of those you've checked (with a meter?) is actually blown.
Just for clarity, are other 12v systems working without being on EHU, (lights. loo pump etc?).
The difficulty with trying to diagnose online is that one doesn't know what an OP hasn't said.
Everything else appears to be working . Will double check when I get back later and will also be checking the wiring loom . 👍🏻

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
On our Swift wuch 2007, the heat symbol bottom left on control panel has to be turned on, hope im on the right track
Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back