Hook Up

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E460
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good morning everybody.

What's the perceived wisdom on keeping the MoHo on electric hookup when parked on the drive in between trips ? I'm asking because the cab battery (Fiat Ducato) went flat after one week, all electrics were shut off from the Sargeant PSU. Does one leave the charger switched on so the batteries receive float charge when not on the road ? or do you hook up once a week for 24 hrs ?.Asking from a relative newbies point of view.

Cheers.
Dridgeyboy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
June 2017
Mine is usually on, especially at this time of the year.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Always on for us, Alde heating set at 10C on electric and fridge freezer always and in regular use as overflow when we have a house full

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I leave our hook up on with the Elddis charger off. I've got an optimate 2 on the leisure battery, it can only deliver 0.8 amps so can't deliver enough currant to boil the battery under a fault condition. Piece of mind (y)

It's also better for the battery only charging to 13.4v once the initial charge has finished and it let's the battery rest periodically.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
If your cab battery went flat after a week, I would suggest either the battery is on the way out, or you have a drain on it - both need checking IMO

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
I'm asking because the cab battery (Fiat Ducato) went flat after one week,
It depends on what van you have some chargers do not charge cab battery's I link mine so it is always charged.
Lee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 625
Exp
I used to leave mine disconnected and then take the motorhome for a bit of a run once a fortnight. Missed the run one month and wondered why I then had an SRS warning light suddenly appear. It turns out that having the vehicle battery volts drop too far during startup can knacker the SRS ECU (£350 replacement) which must be replaced before the next MOT or the red light will cause an MOT failure.
Mines just failed its MOT because of this so in future I will be ensuring sufficient battery voltage by leaving the EHU connected and being more rigorous in my two weekly outings.

ctc

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The instructions for my EBL 29 say leave on EHU whenever possible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back