Hook up cables (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Can someone tell me the difference( apart from the colour) between orange and blue cables, i was told that blue cables dont have to be fully unwound on site, is that an old wives tale ? what are the benefits of each?
cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cables should ALWAYS be fully unwound.... They can be LOOSELY COILED and chucked under the van etc. but always unwound or they can overheat regardless of colour.
I always unwound and laid any excess in a line along the van.
The blue is more pliable in freezing conditions and easily to coil.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As John says.
Blue cables are artic grade They remain a lot more flexible down to - 20°. Just to confuse you my cables are yellow and artic grade.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Can someone tell me the difference( apart from the colour) between orange and blue cables, i was told that blue cables dont have to be fully unwound on site, is that an old wives tale ? what are the benefits of each?
cheers

Colour means squat. Different types of cables are available in different colours. The differences are in the sheath material and conductor sizes (usually 1.5mm2 or 2.5mm2). Larger conductor sizes have reduced voltage drop and are stiffer, but take more storage space and payload. Arctic cable is good in lower temperatures, so the best choice if you camp in winter. Remember that the term "Arctic" is not controlled and can be used on any old rubbish. You need to check for compliance with BS7919 Table 44 to ensure it is really low temperature cable. If so rated, it is good for -25C. Standard flex is rated to +5C (obviously, it doesn't actually spontaneously eviscerate if the temperature goes lower).

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
If you buy a designated mororhome/caravan hook up cable in the UK, they are Normally coloured orange, so they can be seen easier in the grass, as per lawnmowers.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We saw this blue EHU cable dumped on a site in Spain.

If you zoom in to the centre of the reel, you can see the heat that must have been generated!

IMG_20171114_170635.jpg
IMG_20200924_211327.jpg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
cheers
As pointed out cables should be unwound, if left wound ( or coiled ) heat is generated and in some cases depending on the current being drawn can get to the point of catching fire

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We saw this blue EHU cable dumped on a site in Spain.

If you zoom in to the centre of the reel, you can see the heat that must have been generated!

View attachment 427678View attachment 427679
Good to see the person who left this cable made it impossible to use by anyone, I normally do this with any electrical appliances I believe to be faulty.....and just to add my hook up cables are Black, bought in Spain and used here and above the Arctic Circle a few years ago....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Most of it`s already been said. I have several cables of differing colours and lengths. Blue, orange, yellow and black. The result largely of a Self build back in the 90`s. The Yellow one stays flexible in any temperature experienced in the UK so far, and is heavier. Alway "flake" them out, is sensible advice. The tighter the coil and the more Turns the more likely damage due to induction heating will occur. It is always worth while checking the condition of the Plug wiring connections too. I had a new(ish), commercially made, one weld itself into an EHU outlet at Rowntree Park one winter. ( not popular with the warden) He and I removed it with some difficulty to find that the cable had only been half entered in the fitting and the screws not fully tightened.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you're only connected up to run the fridge, top up the batteries etc then there's only going to be a couple of amps in the hookup cable, and it's not strictly necessary to unwind it. But anything more than that, especially any form of heating, and it definitely needs to be unwound - whatever the colour.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Those cable reels have been a source of problems in a few cases. We had mains powered work lights that came with an extension cable. Normally the cable would be fully unwound no matter how far from the job the light was needed. During tea break the boss asked who is using the work light because the cable drum has melted. After that the cable reels were chucked. Tangled cables don’t happen if you are careful and coil them up carefully after using them. On sites we still see cables unwrapped on drums with just enough to reach the bollard
I use a length of curly cable wrap around the cables when they are stored.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Most of it`s already been said. I have several cables of differing colours and lengths. Blue, orange, yellow and black. The result largely of a Self build back in the 90`s. The Yellow one stays flexible in any temperature experienced in the UK so far, and is heavier. Alway "flake" them out, is sensible advice. The tighter the coil and the more Turns the more likely damage due to induction heating will occur. It is always worth while checking the condition of the Plug wiring connections too. I had a new(ish), commercially made, one weld itself into an EHU outlet at Rowntree Park one winter. ( not popular with the warden) He and I removed it with some difficulty to find that the cable had only been half entered in the fitting and the screws not fully tightened.

It isn't induction that causes the heating, simply the cable not being able to cool down due to beibg so close to other spools of itself also heating up from the load. Typically, ratings are around 700W fully or partially wound and 3000W fully unwound.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back