Hold ups in Calais for lorries!

Likes collected
Funster No
Last night travelling towards Calais to the tunnel on the A16 there were 100’s of lorries parked up.

This morning we learned that French custom officers are on a “work to rule”. For the first time ever the French custom men went through our van with a fine tooth comb. It also seemed that they were checking EVERY car as well. Not sure how long this is going on but allow plenty of time to book in. We were held up and missed our train so had to catch the next one which was not much of a problem

Colyboy

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sprinter 416 Auto
Exp
Since 1968'ish
When we came back last October at Roscoff the customs were being an extra pain in the Arris ,going through everyone very slowly ,but the impression after speaking to a young Duane operative they didn't like it either ,"but rules from above"
C'est la vie

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is actioned from the very top and implemented to show us what a problem we are and how bad they will make it.
To me it only points out what the ARSXXXXLES we are dealing with in the EU. This just shows what their thinking is like if we do not roll over and do the bidding of the Emperors and their followers. Macron, I smell behind this.
I will be staying in the UK and maybe Ireland from now on, as it will only get worse as they get encouraged, with road checks on paperwork and vehicles etc, to find 'infringements' worthy of a few hundred euros each.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I was hoping to keep going to France as usual, keeping Ireland only as a backstop.

Allanm

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is actioned from the very top and implemented to show us what a problem we are and how bad they will make it.
To me it only points out what the ARSXXXXLES we are dealing with in the EU. This just shows what their thinking is like if we do not roll over and do the bidding of the Emperors and their followers. Macron, I smell behind this.
I will be staying in the UK and maybe Ireland from now on, as it will only get worse as they get encouraged, with road checks on paperwork and vehicles etc, to find 'infringements' worthy of a few hundred euros each.
Isn’t this what people voted for? Secure borders? People don’t like it when it works the other way!

tuscancouple

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007

They are actually making the point to their own government that they do not have the staff or infrastructure to manage customs when and if the UK leave the EU with no agreement. They are not going slowly to frustrate you, they are working to rule. Just like many other workers in the UK do sometimes to make a point to their management.

Isn’t this what people voted for? Secure borders? People don’t like it when it works the other way!

Absolutley agree with this statement. Can't have it both ways!

Mick

Janiemou

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We've just arrived back after travelling through nine countries .... as usual, only in the UK was there any hold-up. We were held in our 'cell' on the Newcastle ferry for 45 minutes before even being allowed to disembark. When we did get off, we were waved through fairly quickly - not sure where 'border control' entered the equation.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were on the 8.20am train. Queues of lorries on the A16, but we’d already had a text from Eurotunnel to use the next lane to go past them. We were waved straight through when we got to the French customs booth.

We stopped on an aire yesterday and there were about 10 Customs officers taking a VERY leisurely lunch ....

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
This was a strike organised by the Union. (remember they are french and have a bit of history to this) The union want more staff (government are agreeing by doubling the tunnel staff and an extra 65 at the port) but they wont be in place by the end of march.
The union are also demanding more money for working nights and danger money.
This is where you can confirm to yourself it is a strike not a forecast of Brexit.
Without knowing a lot i dont see how they can ask for more money for working nights if they get more staff and no idea what Brexit brings to make the job more dangerous.
But having said that, If i were a customs officer, and french, iwould use every trick in the book to try and get a better pay deal.
DOnt we do the customs checks on our side of the border ? Wonder why they all of a sudden decided to do some their side. Normally just a wipe down with drugs indicator (if youre unlucky) on their side (2 minutes)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp

Allanm

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We were on the 8.20am train. Queues of lorries on the A16, but we’d already had a text from Eurotunnel to use the next lane to go past them. We were waved straight through when we got to the French customs booth.

We stopped on an aire yesterday and there were about 10 Customs officers taking a VERY leisurely lunch ....
You’re in France, ALL lunches are leisurely!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Normally just a wipe down with drugs indicator (if youre unlucky) on their side (2 minutes)
Never had anything like that?

I would think clearing a group of 100 migrants off the ferry in about an hour as reported in the link is pretty good going.
I thought it was excellent ..........for firemen. (y)Personally I wouldn't have even stopped services just machine gunned them all & those in the water would have drowned.(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
@gus-lopez we have had it regularly now at the tunnel. You get through the first bit and the gendarmes are there and wipe your dashboard. They normally do half a dozen vehicles together. If the result comes back negative you all go through. If it s positive you probably get your own test and one or more of you gets turned over.
The trick is to always take your cocaine in the habitation part of your motorhome and really wash your hands to stop transference.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
There was an item on the "local ITV" news last night which on Vgn HD is Meridian. They had a 5 min slot about this. The French are recruiting 700 officers and need to build a few sheds but - all the checking will be done by our lot on that side of the channel and theirs checked in the UK so still not sure what they are going to check. Wish they would go back to being their semi-comatose selves.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Somewhere at sometime I read on the forum that it is possible to access the pets passport building directly from Cite Europe. Does anyone know about it or was I dreaming? I am think that it may be easier if the traffic is backed up.

100brian

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
@gus-lopez we have had it regularly now at the tunnel. You get through the first bit and the gendarmes are there and wipe your dashboard. They normally do half a dozen vehicles together. If the result comes back negative you all go through. If it s positive you probably get your own test and one or more of you gets turned over.
The trick is to always take your cocaine in the habitation part of your motorhome and really wash your hands to stop transference.

I always thought it was for explosives.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
English lorries are not the only ones in the queue...Remember 20 Odd? Members lorries are queueing as well....... Pressure will be applied by their sponsers,the people they are hauling for. Sit back and watch the fun,i often had to switch Ports to ship in/out for various reasons,this will happen,so what price Calais?
GREAT SCOTT!!. Build another Secret Tunnel......SORTED!! Now,where's my Grafting shovel and Pick? Hi ho,hi ho,its back to work i go......

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I always thought it was for explosives.
TO be fair I wouldnt know but it might be both. I know if it is drugs they are testing then most class As would show up as have used that system. I would suspect they are testing explosives as well.

NB Dont eat almonds in the front !

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the gendarmes are there and wipe your dashboard. T
What are these 'gendarmes' you speak of ? We don't get them at Dunkirk:LOL: Normal is a couple of French stunners who are operating as UK customs/police/no idea, & a squad of French soldiers who do the 'looking in ' the habitation part.&both completely separate from each other.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
What are these 'gendarmes' you speak of ? We don't get them at Dunkirk:LOL: Normal is a couple of French stunners who are operating as UK customs/police/no idea, & a squad of French soldiers who do the 'looking in ' the habitation part.&both completely separate from each other.
Are you sure they werent offering you oranges to buy ?

May have to reconsider the benefits of using the tunnel. Dunkirk you say ?

klaatu

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Somewhere at sometime I read on the forum that it is possible to access the pets passport building directly from Cite Europe. Does anyone know about it or was I dreaming? I am think that it may be easier if the traffic is backed up.
Turn right out of the aire and follow the road alongside the fence - you need to turn right as the road turns to the left. The pet reception is then next right. Gate was closed when we tried this on Sunday morning.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
In the past we have tried to leave on an earlier trAin only to be faced with unacceptable increased fares to go earlier so we then have to leave and the way out of the way in, if you understand me, takes you out past the pets passport building and you can then get to Cite d'Europe much easier than going out onto the motorway and traveling up one junction and then back in to Cite d'Europe

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Turn right out of the aire and follow the road alongside the fence - you need to turn right as the road turns to the left. The pet reception is then next right. Gate was closed when we tried this on Sunday morning.
Yep that's the way I went in October just drive through the gate opposite Lidl

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have used every port I have herd off delays on this forum have arrived expecting burning tiers lorry's and campers being hijacked.
Migrants betting up drivers and raping the women and children.
Things being thrown off bridges and hitting lorry's and campers then migrants killing everyone on board.
The only thing is when we arrive it always seems to have passed twenty min later
Frome what I am herring we had all better rip up our passports and stop going over there it's not worth the risk
gassed and robed in the airs theirs another risk not worth it
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Back