Highland council parking rip off! (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi
just left Portree on the isle of sky, beautiful place.

just a word of warning to motorhomers, we parked in the main car park in Portree yesterday which is huge and has loads of spaces including dedicated Motorhome spaces. However all the Motorhome spaces approx 10 in total were occupied so I along with 6 other vans moved to the far side of the car park well away from everyone and parked over 2 spaces lengthways due to the length of my van and the smaller spaces. Paid for parking and went for a walk and lunch. On return, we had been issued with a parking ticket. I disputed this on line and was told that because all the Motorhome spaces were taken, I should not of parked there, also that I was required to park within the white box, that means all of my Motorhome in a car space.

So the moral of this story is BEWARE, there is no get out and we ended up with a £60 fine reduced to £30 if we paid quickly, which of course we did.

My fault I suppose, but no compassion and no acknowledgment of us all spending our money in the struggling businesses during this time!

Oh, all of the other 6 vans also got parking tickets too!

Welcome to the Highlands everyone!

take care and read the signs, I didn’t and yes it was an expensive lunch in the end.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Were all the Motorhome spaces being used by motorhomes or a mix of cars also which should then by rights be ticketed for parking in the wrong spot same as you and would have hampered your parking.

Did you purchase two tickets to cover both spaces in which case you do have a reasonable point to query the ticket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It could be argued that if the fee for one motorhome space is the same as one car parking space then the OP should not have to pay for two car parking spaces.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It could be argued that if the fee for one motorhome space is the same as one car parking space then the OP should not have to pay for two car parking spaces.
But they charge more for bigger pitches on campsites so I guess it’s the same

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think if the MH spaces are the same cost the thread title ought to read Highland council bargain for motorhomes big spaces at no extra cost!. Surely if you had a vehicle parked across 2 spaces you pay for them both. If all the big ones have gone it's your tough luck for being late.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Parking is about the worst thing for getting me going, always got to read the signs, then most of the time you don't know if it applys to you or not or if you have to pay for two or whatever, or if you have overstayed your time, in my view all car parks should be pay on exit for however long you have been there, but then that would cut their fines so they won't do that.
Winds me up so much that I would rather walk a mile than be worrying about how we have parked.
And then the fines are rediculas why can't they just sensibly just charge what you should have paid.
I could go on but parking is the bugbear of motorhomeing.edit. for me.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Parking is about the worst thing for getting me going, always got to read the signs, then most of the time you don't know if it applys to you or not or if you have to pay for two or whatever, or if you have overstayed your time, in my view all car parks should be pay on exit for however long you have been there, but then that would cut their fines so they won't do that.
Winds me up so much that I would rather walk a mile than be worrying about how we have parked.
And then the fines are rediculas why can't they just sensibly just charge what you should have paid.
I could go on but parking is the bugbear of motorhomeing.edit. for me.
It does depend on the circumstances. But if the fine was only what you should have paid everyone would just park anywhere it would be chaos. I think in this case they should have waived the penalty provided two spaces had been paid for but when you see the way some people park a free for all just wouldn't work

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It does depend on the circumstances. But if the fine was only what you should have paid everyone would just park anywhere it would be chaos. I think in this case they should have waived the penalty provided two spaces had been paid for but when you see the way some people park a free for all just wouldn't work
We once had a hire car in faro, and parked where we had always parked before for free, any way when we came back we had a ticket, on reading it in Portuguese it looked as if it could have been 180 euros, and we had to pay it at a post office.
So fearing the worst we turned up at the po, and handed it in , the fine? 8 euros which was the fee for a whole day, all the other numbers were if you didn't pay within certain times.
Thought what a bloody good and fair idea.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
If you park across two spaces lengthways... what about the spaces in front and behind you?

If vehicles decides to park in them, you'd be well and truly blocked in... just thinking out loud.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you park across two spaces lengthways... what about the spaces in front and behind you?

If vehicles decides to park in them, you'd be well and truly blocked in... just thinking out loud.

I'm with Les on this one. If people park lengthways in a carpark then it just draws adverse attention to the MoHo fraternity.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Were all the Motorhome spaces being used by motorhomes or a mix of cars also which should then by rights be ticketed for parking in the wrong spot same as you and would have hampered your parking.

Did you purchase two tickets to cover both spaces in which case you do have a reasonable point to query the ticket.

In Edinburgh buying two tickets doesn't work - you might even get a fine for each space.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Portree is my local village.
This car park set-up is new and I hope it settles down soon!
I'm sorry that you've been caught out. It might be worth sending in an appeal but from what you've described, I wouldn't hold out much hope. Sadly these decisions aren't made in Skye, where things are more pragmatic, but in Inverness. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay.

This car park was free until re-vamped, and also overnighting was tolerated there, but sadly no more. During tourist season there were always more than 10 vans there during the day. I wrote to the council (which is based well over 100 miles away in Inverness) pointing out the issues that restricted usage will raise, especially post-covid.
The main positive for us m/hers is the provision of a new black waste dump at this car park. (Is that working yet Jugster ? - I haven't used the car park since they introduced charges!) They have provided, or supported, other parking areas - with dedicated m/h spaces and in some cases black waste dumps - around the island and across the Highlands.
It is important to read and abide by the (sometimes seemingly strange) restrictions which are designed to keep traffic moving and prevent bottlenecks building up by encouraging people to move on if there's no space.
Highland Council is spending a small fortune on assisting with waste dumps, overnight spots and many other tourist-related facilities in an effort to prevent some of the chaos and destruction of last year; they are paying more attention to the remoter areas and finding ways to fund this. Expanding and charging for parking is one way.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Many car parks make it very clear that for simple parking of a car if you aren't within the designated lines you will be subject to an excess charge. Don't park on hatched zones, or similar. The point being that if all spaces are full, that's it no room for you.

Be grateful they have designated some spaces for the oversized vehicles of motorhomes, but if they are all taken, that's it they are full. You don't expect to be able to abandon your vehicle on yellow lines, it's the same for a designated parking area.

I'd suspect that any parking area enforcing provision for MH's parked incorrectly would do the same for any car in a dedicated MH place.

In time the operators of a car park may find that some spaces or capacity are relatively underused, whilst others are oversubscribed. Once past the chaos of uncertainty of the pandemic and "normal" use patterns are seen, they may find they can allocate more (or perhaps reduce) the dedicated provision, whilst allowing the normal car parking.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
In both Torquay and Lowestoft when I parked last year it was clearly stated, that if you overhang another space then buy two tickets, which I did.

OP
OP
Jugster
Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi CWH
You have a beautiful town. We enjoyed our stay, thanks.

I admit that I was in the wrong, but was only trying to give others the heads up on this car park. In view of the thousands of mh’s that are on the roads in sky, I think they could do with some more Motorhome spaces! So many empty car spaces.
Did not notice black dumping, but probably because I was a bit upset at the time! Lol!

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Jugster I feel your pain ..... New car park, new rules, new wardens ...
Trust me, there won't be any empty car spaces as soon as the English schools break for their holidays! - at that time of year, locals can't park at all after about 8.30 in the morning - that's why the brand new far end of the car park you were in is restricted to permit holders (those working in the village now have to pay as well).
(By the way I'm not sure there are 'thousands' of mohos on the island, though sometimes it seems like it! - and a lot are already travelling in unpassable convoys which always makes it seem as though there are more.)
I guess nobody knows what this year will look like in terms of tourism, or whether it'll continue ... I know there are moves to set up a step-on-step-off bus route around the island which would be great and would serve not only the main villages and the 'hot-spots' but also the campsites.

Anyhow enjoy your break and I hope the weather holds for you!

(P.S. If you think you were in the wrong as you say, maybe you could edit your thread title and remove "rip-off"?)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
People are like sheep, the first sheep sees the motorhome spaces are full, so decides he‘ll park in the car spaces, the second sheep sees this and follows, two sheep there now so the others think it must be ok , parking attendant turns up and all the sheep get fleeced,🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I thought it was ok as long as you bought two tickets if your parked in two parking spots.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought it was ok as long as you bought two tickets if your parked in two parking spots.
No many councils specifically exclude the buying of 2 tickets*. I use one in Barnstaple ,Bear street, which has 3 " oversized " bays which you are expected to use in a car park that holds hundreds & the spaces are in an area that is rarely used.

* This also means you can't use the car park if towing a trailer.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
No many councils specifically exclude the buying of 2 tickets*. I use one in Barnstaple ,Bear street, which has 3 " oversized " bays which you are expected to use in a car park that holds hundreds & the spaces are in an area that is rarely used.

* This also means you can't use the car park if towing a trailer.
To be fair how many people go shopping towing a trailer ?

• Funny
Reactions: CWH
Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
I think it's excellent that Portree are making provision for Motorhomes and we used the car park this morning. No issues for us as there were MH spaces available. If there hadn't been I'd have gone elsewhere or read the terms and conditions to find out what other options there might be.

We haven't found Skye busy with motorhomes at all though. Perhaps that will begin to change next week, but we'll be back on the mainland by then!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To be fair how many people go shopping towing a trailer ?
I used to pick up and drop off wife and daughters at Alicante airport towing trailers. Can't get in the multi storey with them now. If I'm out with a trailer and need shopping why would I want to do a double trip?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We haven't found Skye busy with motorhomes at all though. Perhaps that will begin to change next week, but we'll be back on the mainland by then!
I think a lot of people are being a bit cautious and staying where they can quickly dash home if necessary.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
People are like sheep, the first sheep sees the motorhome spaces are full, so decides he‘ll park in the car spaces, the second sheep sees this and follows, two sheep there now so the others think it must be ok , parking attendant turns up and all the sheep get fleeced,🤣🤣🤣🤣
'I need three volunteers; ewe, ewe and ewe ...' :LOL:

Steve

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I used to pick up and drop off wife and daughters at Alicante airport towing trailers. Can't get in the multi storey with them now. If I'm out with a trailer and need shopping why would I want to do a double trip?
I suppose you have to go to a bit where you can drive through and have 2 spaces and pay for 2 spaces

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back