Highland council parking rip off! (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Gist of story read the signpost. some authorities allow double tickets and some do not.
Some seaside towns prevent use of trailers by using paving edgings between parking bays.
And yes i used to tow a trailer with a Bongo regularly. I once parked in Bury st Edmonds in a van spot with trailer overhanging grass verge wondering where i could leagaly park because of exclusions. Would i have been done in a motorhome bay (ps motorhomes dont exist they are motor caravans) as the bongo was registered as a motor caravan.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Jugster I feel your pain ..... New car park, new rules, new wardens ...
Trust me, there won't be any empty car spaces as soon as the English schools break for their holidays! - at that time of year, locals can't park at all after about 8.30 in the morning - that's why the brand new far end of the car park you were in is restricted to permit holders (those working in the village now have to pay as well).
(By the way I'm not sure there are 'thousands' of mohos on the island, though sometimes it seems like it! - and a lot are already travelling in unpassable convoys which always makes it seem as though there are more.)
I guess nobody knows what this year will look like in terms of tourism, or whether it'll continue ... I know there are moves to set up a step-on-step-off bus route around the island which would be great and would serve not only the main villages and the 'hot-spots' but also the campsites.

Anyhow enjoy your break and I hope the weather holds for you!

(P.S. If you think you were in the wrong as you say, maybe you could edit your thread title and remove "rip-off"?)
I agree the title of this thread is misleading, there has been quite a few posts on here about Highlands council actually considering the needs and providing spaces for motorhomes and they sh ould be applauded for it.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There is nothing new in this subject and it is certainly not unique to Highland Council.
Perhaps somebody who can put up with the abuse for pointing out such matters to certain motorhomers in advance ought to start a web site dedicated to providing parking information for motorhomers :devil:
Graham I didn’t know whether to rate your post Like, Funny, Nice one, You're a star or Care! I opted for Care/ Heart hug 'cos I know how frustrating it was to get all that flack for all your hard work. :hugs:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I thought it was ok as long as you bought two tickets if your parked in two parking spots.
I think it depends on the T&C of the particular car park. I recall the car park in Helmsley, N Yorks (Hambleton council) - the one in the centre, not the one with MH spaces - spelt out 2 spaces=2 tickets.
But when we parked on a council car park in Matlock and bought 2 tickets we came back to a penalty notice. We did succeed with an appeal though.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Perhaps along with dedicated motorhome bays councils could provide some dual usage bays for use by any vehicle. Probably the remotest corners of the car park would be best as they would be the least likely to fill up first. Not a perfect idea, but could possibly help.
Mike

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps along with dedicated motorhome bays councils could provide some dual usage bays for use by any vehicle. Probably the remotest corners of the car park would be best as they would be the least likely to fill up first. Not a perfect idea, but could possibly help.
Mike
They are not interested in helping though, just want to find the easiest road to fine you.
Edit, by this I mean all councils not singling out the op as I know nothing about it.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
just left Portree on the isle of sky
Not like that on Mull just back free parking in the carpark at Tobermory and free parking at Fionnphort was talking to a bus driver and she told me to park next to her bus as no more buses would be coming. Got her a coffee.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I suppose you have to go to a bit where you can drive through and have 2 spaces and pay for 2 spaces
Steady on! I'm not in the Uk you know:giggle: Most places around here parking is free & in the ones I use which are barrier operated you are just given the one ticket on entry & pay on the way out.& that incldes the place in centre of town with MH parking
Gist of story read the signpost. some authorities allow double tickets and some do not.
& some, like the one where the motorhome was being given a ticket in North Devon & the warden stated it was on the sign ,it wasn't .Nothing.Yes it is on the online council site or by going in the town all but nothing about 2 tickets being illegal on the signage.
Mike
In one place in South Molton they redid the complete car park & with super oversized bays as far away from the town as they could be , especially for oversize vehicles & large vans. Every time market day came you'd find people parking micra's in them.
Once I saw a motorhome legally parked within the bay trapping a c1 in the same bay at the other end:LOL:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Once I saw a motorhome legally parked within the bay trapping a c1 in the same bay at the other end:LOL:
Yes I've seen tourist coaches do that at the car park the OP is referring to (in the bus bays).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am happy to pay a reasonable charge for parking and more if there are other facilities. I don't see why local council tax payers should fund facilities for people from outside the area.

What "reasonable" is to one person may well be extortionate to another of course.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back