High level brake light - Hymer B544 (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2020
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
B544
Exp
None, none at all.
Hi,

My 2007 Hymer B544 MOT is due tomorrow and (being an idiot) I have just discovered that my high level brake light does not work.

Looking from the outside it clearly contains water and I assume needs replacing.

According to a quick google if you have a highlevel brake light and it is connected then you fail MOT but if it is not there, or is disconnected then you pass.

In the short term I just want a passed MOT so am looking to either disconnect it or remove it.

Removal appears to be some screws whilst disconnection must be done inside the motorhome somewhere, does anybody know where the wires run and the best place to disconnect them ?

I can get a new brake light next week, so maybe the simple solution is to remove it prior to the test, but in any event I need to understand where the wires go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta.

P.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On my 2002 Hymer 544 the high-level brake light unit could be removed by undoing a couple of screws. I seem to remember there was a rubber gasket between the lighting unit and the rear enclosure, so theoretically no water could get in, apart from where the lighting cable enters the enclosure.

In my case, water was entering the inside of the van between the rear enclosure and the bodywork. A bead of sealant around the rear enclosure resolved that problem.

Can only suggest you have the MOT as scheduled, fix the problem and get a re-test FOC (within a specified period, probably 7days). The MOT station will probably take the view that anything fitted as original equipment should work, despite your protestations :LOL:

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Hi bornagain, can you let me know where you got the brake light as mine needs replacing, TIA

Ddfh123

Free Member
Nov 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
HYMER mil 580 4x4
Exp
4 years
Update.
I removed the light from the outside, snipped the cable and then refitted the light.
It has passed MOT.
A new light will be here early next week.
Hi can you advise where you are sourcing the light

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
By coincidence I am about to fit one on my 2007 Hymer B654SL tomorrow. Got mine from h.bowers on eBay £43.99. Had to get clarification from them that it was flat at the back ie no protrusion as shown in the second diagram. They replied within minutes to confirm that it was flat. Very good to deal with, in my opinion. The original one was clear with chrome inside but water has got in and worn the chrome away. Direct replace my was over £60 and as I was happy with red I saved some cash as well. Going to put a bead of clear silicone around the perimeter of the back so as to fully seal.
ps. The original one has a foam/rubber gasket on the back so I’m hoping to peel it off carefully and fit it to the new one.
pps. Jokon part no. S3 0205026

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back