popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Hi, I'd like to ask for some advice.

I understand that a high-gain wifi antenna (maybe not external?) can be a very useful thing for our motorhome and was wondering if anyone can suggest a particular brand and or model. I suppose there's no need to spend a lot if something basic will do the job.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Do you just want to boost reception on a laptop, or do you want to connect several devices?

An antennae with a USB connection will do the former, but if you want to do several devices at once, you need to grab the signal & rebroadcast it within the m'home.

If you know what you are doing & know what you need, it can be done relatively cheaply yourself. Otherwise www.motorhomewifi.com are the experts in this field, but you pay for the higher level of knowledge & service (which is fair enough). Have a read of https://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/getting-wifi-in-your-motorhome/ for some good background info.

@Addie from motorhomewifi is a member on here & gives good advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm told the reception is better if she sits on your knee (don't know about the wi-fi signal though).

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you can get an antenna that's outside the metal box of your motorhome, it'll help, but don't expect miracles. If you upgrade your antenna, you'll be able to better receive the hotspot's signal, but the reception of your data at the hotspot isn't going to change much, so they still might not be able to hear you.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Quite a lot of people are giving up on site WiFi as it's frequently expensive and normally awful regardless. Have you considered getting a 4G MiFi device to create your own wifi hotspot?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The cheap £15 eBay ones work a treat, I'll try and find a link later.
Don't use ours much now with data being so cheap.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You may be worrying unnecessarily. How do you know you need one?
I've tried a number of 'whizzy' devices with dubious results and significant reduction to bank balance.
Now I seem to be able to cope with Huawei 'wifi' and no additional aerial.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Another vote for Solwise and they do an even higher gain directional antenna. If you are using a windows laptop you can do without the router and plug the usb antenna direct into it and still distribute the wifi to other devices using software such as Connectify.

A high gain antenna is particularly useful if you are a BT customer because you get free access to BTFon/BTwifi. I very often find I can pick up BT and save the cost of the site wifi, usually with better download speeds too. Last week I was getting 8mbs from BTwifi compared to the 1mbs that site wifi is usually throttled to.

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
It's great to get all these replies so quickly.

Are you talking about for example connecting your laptop to campsite wi fi?

Yes, that's one of the uses. I'd also like to boost reception if connecting via a smartphone off-site, and while running another device by means of tethering (which I don't yet know how to do).

Have you considered getting a 4G MiFi device to create your own wifi hotspot?

Not yet. I will need to find out what this device is.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Have you considered getting a 4G MiFi device to create your own wifi hotspot?

Not yet. I will need to find out what this device is.

Instead of using the site's internet connection, you use a mobile phone connection. A MiFi device connects to the mobile network and allows you to connect to it via WiFi.

So you have to pay for a mobile phone data connection (contract or pay as you go). But it t means you've got internet anywhere.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, that's one of the uses. I'd also like to boost reception if connecting via a smartphone off-site, and while running another device by means of tethering (which I don't yet know how to do).

There is often confusion between wifi and mobile data which are different systems requiring different kit. However they can both be used to connect to the internet.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Why spend all that money. I have been using a HUAWEI I think it’s called a dongle for the last two years and have never had any trouble getting WiFi. At his moment I am in a car park in Tintagel Cornwall ( where mhs are allowed to stay overnight at £3.50) using it.

Bought the Huawei off EBay about £30 and use a “three” SIM card one off purchase £26 no contract. Without downloading loads it seems to last for at least six months.

Colyboy

NYE “do” Camping Caradon, Looe, Cornwall.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We have an 8 db omni antenna on a retractable motorised mount, connected to a Ubiquiti bullet.
IMG_20180213_115950.jpg

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I only use a mifi and I live in France 6months of the year... I buy a 12gb 3 data card from my memory and because I don't download anything it lasts me for the whole time in France and the time in the UK. I upload photos and communicate with my family, use Facebook and messenger... It does exactly what I need.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The wifi boosters often come up on here secondhand which suggests to me they are not really tha usefull we rely on a mifi and 3 data sim also usefull if you go away without the mh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back