Hi Everyone, New member from Cape Town (1 Viewer)

John Lazarus

Free Member
May 31, 2016
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Autosleeper
Exp
Just Starting
We are a retired couple from Cape Town, South Africa. It has long been an ambition of mine to spend our winter months (your summer) in the Northern Hemisphere in a camper van. Now that I am approaching 80 (next year) I think it is time to do it. For the last two weeks I have been perusing the internet to find a suitable vehicle and have found one which I am buying.

Since my main hobbies are kite-surfing, paragliding, power paragliding and hiking I am proposing to spend most of my time this year in Cornwall and Devon. I have paraglided the cliffs of Cornwall before and am looking forward to doing this again.

I shall be arriving in the UK in the first half of July and since I am buying the camper van now, need somewhere to store it until then. Unless anyone has any better ideas I shall probably arrange for a friend in the UK to make use of the long term parking at Heathrow.

I believe that it is compulsory to have insurance in the UK so attempted to arrange it. When I said that my van may be parked at the long term parking at Heathrow, which I would imagine is an extremely safe place to park, I was told that it was not possible to insure it. Where do insurance companies want one to park?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John, great to seeing you so active at an age where a lot of people are just staring at daytime tv. The members here will find you somewhere to park it. Many members use storage facilities that are dotted around the whole of the UK . Meanwhile, welcome to the fun (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Where do insurance companies want one to park?

Hi John

an active 80 year old indeed.. . We lived in Jo'burg doing the 1970s.. I imagine it has changed a LOT since then..
my second eldest son now lives in Cape Town..

Insurance..

first of all, you must have a UK address to get vehicle insurance.. that could be a friend or relative..

they expect the van to be parked / kept at the home address or in a secure storage compound .. I don't think they will accept that as a 'home address'

Comfort Insurance are probably your best bet .. speak to them..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We are a retired couple from Cape Town, South Africa. It has long been an ambition of mine to spend our winter months (your summer) in the Northern Hemisphere in a camper van. Now that I am approaching 80 (next year) I think it is time to do it. For the last two weeks I have been perusing the internet to find a suitable vehicle and have found one which I am buying.

Since my main hobbies are kite-surfing, paragliding, power paragliding and hiking I am proposing to spend most of my time this year in Cornwall and Devon. I have paraglided the cliffs of Cornwall before and am looking forward to doing this again.

I shall be arriving in the UK in the first half of July and since I am buying the camper van now, need somewhere to store it until then. Unless anyone has any better ideas I shall probably arrange for a friend in the UK to make use of the long term parking at Heathrow.

I believe that it is compulsory to have insurance in the UK so attempted to arrange it. When I said that my van may be parked at the long term parking at Heathrow, which I would imagine is an extremely safe place to park, I was told that it was not possible to insure it. Where do insurance companies want one to park?

:hiya2: & :pink: from a fellow ex S.A. resident ( Muldersdrift, Gauteng. ) (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome John to the fun, hope I can still be as active as you when I'm 80! Have a really great time whilst in the UK there's lots of useful help and info on here.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi and welcome to fun. Great to see you so active and looking forward to paragliding at 80 ..... I haven't the head for heights at 50!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi John and welcome. With regard to your trip north I would recommend talking to this member. He spends part of his time in Cape Town and the rest here or in Europe. Here he is GeriatricWanderer, you should be able to send him a personal message.
cape town.PNG

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi John......adore Cape Town. Where in Cape Town are you based?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I believe that it is compulsory to have insurance in the UK so attempted to arrange it.

Our law is weird now. If your vehicle is taxed then they assume it will be used and must be insured. If you don't tax it, which means stored off road, you don't need insurance, legally. Your choice on theft risk.

So if a dealer deposited it into storage on their trade plates you could sort it out when you arrive.

80 - paragliding - respect !

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hallo en welkom
Ons is lief vir Kaapstad