Here we go again. Microsoft trying to force you to upgrade your computer. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Totally unnecessary.

Windows 11 will be out later this year and requires a computer with a TPM 2.0 module.
Very few computers come with this, but some more recent motherboards you can buy a module to plug in.

Fortunately MS will not be forcing you to upgrade to Windows 11 until 2025 so we have 3-4 years left.

But no doubt they will nag you mercilessly until you do.

Also your Motherboard needs to support secure boot properly in the UEFI which some laptop makers have half assed and botched.

I suspect there will be a flood of old computers coming on the market over the next couple of years.

About the TPM 2.0 module.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Could be painful but this security may be or should be in a PC built by a manufacturer since 2016.

Good look with the Windows 11 readiness checker. Sounds like there are false passes and fails occurring with it’s results.

Who’s asking for a more secure computer? Microsoft just make Xbox and Surface portables. :think:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Could be painful but this security may be or should be in a PC built by a manufacturer since 2016.

Erm, TPM 2.0 was only released in 2019.

Lots of manufacturers don't add it to their PC's. At best they provide a socket on the motherboard where you can plug a module into it.
Make sure you get the right one though as there is no standards for pin connections and you could cause a short by plugging the wrong one in.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Still on W7 with no problems except the stupid audio latency issue which means I still use XP on a couple of PCs
Except your computer is now likely to get infected and exploited by scammers, hackers and other criminals because MS is not providing security updates for Win 7 since Jan 2020.
Only a matter of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Except your computer is now likely to get infected and exploited by scammers, hackers and other criminals because MS is not providing security updates for Win 7 since Jan 2020.
Only a matter of time.
Tempting fate but it hasn't happened yet and the hackers have been around for decades. All the security issues I've experienced have been with 3rd parties which Windows 11 won't resolve.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Excellent not. I spent over £800 in the last week on a new motherboard, CPU, RAM combo as the existing gaming PC was dying more than I do in games. I know most people will baulk at this level of spending just on a computer system. This new, latest generation Athlon 5900X on X570 stuff would fail this TPM thing whatever that is.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
TPM 2.0 was only released in 2019.
Oh! Is Intel’s tpm 2.0 a different TLA 2.0?
NVM. I’ll wait until I need Windows 11 to worry about it. 🤔

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Excellent not. I spent over £800 in the last week on a new motherboard, CPU, RAM combo as the existing gaming PC was dying more than I do in games. I know most people will baulk at this level of spending just on a computer system. This new, latest generation Athlon 5900X on X570 stuff would fail this TPM thing whatever that is.
Just bought a new system built from components last year. Just checked if my motherboard has a TPM 2.0 slot and it does.
No where has stock of the TPM modules. But looks to be about £10 for one when they are available.

Broken Link Removed

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thing is that if this bit of hardware becomes a standard thing, how long before all the hackers in the world, incentivised that they know it's in every Windows PC, find a way to break it?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thing is that if this bit of hardware becomes a standard thing, how long before all the hackers in the world, incentivised that they know it's in every Windows PC, find a way to break it?
Too Late. From 2019

and

And those were just the first 2 on a google search. There will be many, many more :)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Maybe you’ll be OK: don’t panic
We do need a new version of the Win 11 compatibility tool tho.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been using Linux Mint for the last 18 months nice and fast but can be a nightmare to configure about to give up and go back to Windows.
Can't get my scanner to work with it, graphic drivers buggy causing USB mouse and keyboard often go haywire. It's.an HP pavilion laptop, been on the forums I'm not the only one with the same problem and there doesn't appear to be a fix.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've been using Linux Mint for the last 18 months nice and fast but can be a nightmare to configure about to give up and go back to Windows.
Can't get my scanner to work with it, graphic drivers buggy causing USB mouse and keyboard often go haywire. It's.an HP pavilion laptop, been on the forums I'm not the only one with the same problem and there doesn't appear to be a fix.

I have been using linux desktop for 20+ years, 10 years ago I went completely Linux with no windows at all.

I have used Dell laptops and self built PC's. Never had an issue with any hardware. Just had a laser printer kindly donated to me. I against my better judgement followed the manufacturers instruction (HP as well) on installing it.
It didn't seem to be working but then after what seemed like ages spat a single page out of an 8 page document. I thought it was working, but then nothing no page 2. So starting looking at settings, reading the instructions and after 6 minutes the 2nd page popped out.

I decided to make a coffee and get cleaned up, during doing this another page popped out. I then noticed the pattern. It was printing out a page every 6 minutes.

I messed around, played with settings, looked closely at network traffic and much more. In the end I decided to uninstall it and do it from scratch.

The second time round I did it the linux way. Clicked add printer, selected network printer. Linux paused for about 1 second then showed me the printer I had connected to my wifi router. Gave it a name and clicked ok.
Test print. 20 seconds later all 8 pages in the tray :)

That is the first time I have had a driver problem on Linux.

Others don't seem to have the same luck as me sadly.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

What graphics card do you have, are you using the OSS drivers or the manufacturers ones?

Video card causing USB problems sounds unusual.

One last point, I did install linux on a very old netbook. Asus EEEPC from around 2008. It had problems with the USB port on the side that the power supply was on. If you plugged anything in while it was powered on it would shut down. USB ports on the other side worked fine.
Are you having the problem with all USB ports?

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
I am using XP to post this. It just works.

Well to be honest, using remote desktop from a Raspberry Pi running RISC OS.
Remember the Acorn Archimedes? Well, all their softwarre runs very nicely on the Pi.

The Raspberry Pi is in this room (and/or the Hymer) and the headless Windows XP box is in the loft.

Deleted User
I have an ageing desktop running Ubuntu 20.04 and a newer laptop with W10. Ubuntu is sooo frustrating with connected devices and is slower to boot than W10 but the laptop wins out on connectivity every time.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The second time round I did it the linux way. Clicked add printer, selected network printer. Linux paused for about 1 second then showed me the printer I had connected to my wifi router. Gave it a name and clicked ok.
Test print. 20 seconds later all 8 pages in the tray :)
You should have done it the right way the first time!:RollEyes: Says the man who tried it exactly the same way as you!:doh:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What graphics card do you have, are you using the OSS drivers or the manufacturers ones?

Video card causing USB problems sounds unusual.

One last point, I did install linux on a very old netbook. Asus EEEPC from around 2008. It had problems with the USB port on the side that the power supply was on. If you plugged anything in while it was powered on it would shut down. USB ports on the other side worked fine.
Are you having the problem with all USB ports?
Laptop is a HP Pavilon X360) (2017)
Intel i3-5010u
12GB Ram
1TB HD
Graphics Intel HD 5500, driver i915

A couple of other things often plays up with an external monitor (HDMI) connected.
Can't get it to connect to Bluetooth speaker (UE Boom 2).
Also never been able to connect to a printer on another PC via network.

Just taken 15 min to type this as it had one of it's hissy fits.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
XP was for me the pinnacle of user-friendliness from Microshaft. The start-up time is a fraction of that of Win10.

Can one still buy a new 32 bit laptop?

I will delay getting a Windoze11 lappy as long as possible.

Considering Linux, but lack the confidence to dive in.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just bought a new system built from components last year. Just checked if my motherboard has a TPM 2.0 slot and it does.
No where has stock of the TPM modules. But looks to be about £10 for one when they are available.

Broken Link Removed
I could very well be wrong (OK I will be!:doh:) but I think you've got an AMD Ryzen 3600 cpu (that's not the bit I'll be wrong about:Smile:) and does that not have TPM on-chip (that's the bit I might be wrong about:rolleyes:)?

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Seriously considering replacing my desktop PC with a new Mac. Bought a MacBook Air with the M1 chip and it’s been a revelation.

Gromett, my current PC has a RAID mirror originally designed to provide latency in case of HDD failure. Mainly used to store gigs of photos and video, so probably too large to transfer to cloud storage. Would a USB SSD external backup drive be a viable alternative If I went down the Mac route?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I could very well be wrong (OK I will be!:doh:) but I think you've got an AMD Ryzen 3600 cpu (that's not the bit I'll be wrong about:Smile:) and does that not have TPM on-chip (that's the bit I might be wrong about:rolleyes:)?
Yes I have a 3600. Just checked and yes it supports TPM V1.2... So I could run window 11 if I wanted (I don't).

Didn't think to check that. I thought it was only ARM and Apple that had the built in TPM.

Learn something new every day :)

PS: If you use the onboard TPM remember to save the recovery key to another location.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back