Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
IMG_4090.JPG
When we bought our van, it was fitted with a tow bar. We suspect, but don't know, that the previous owner may have towed a car.
However, we would like to get a storage box onto a frame that sits on the towball. The box will block the number plate light. So we will need a number plate board which will illuminate the number plate. The box will not obscure the break, rear fog, or reversing lights. Today we went to check the measurements and to check whether the socket worked. I attach a rather poor photo of the towbar socket. I tried to check for voltage using my voltmeter, with the lights off, on, ignition on etc but could get no reading at all. How do I test that the socket works before buying a number plate board?
All, any recommended suppliers of such board. Halfords aren't great.
Thanks

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Maypole off of ebay do good cheap lighting boards, different sizes with or without fog lamps free postage.

Silly question, you did earth the black lead to the chassis on your meter when testing didn't you? Sorry in case it slipped your mind.

Socket tester cheap here

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
trailer-plug-wiring-diagram.jpg
Did you prove you had a good earth at start ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its just the number plate light you could fit a small LED bike type light on a bracket shining on the plate and save a load of trouble.
Your rear lights must be visible from a side angle as well as directly from behind so unless the box is above the rear lights you're going to need a full light board anyway.
If you have to buy a board just plug it in, if it works then fine, if not then worry about the wiring.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the replies. Yes, held black lead on the meter to the ironwork (for earth) to which the tow bar is bolted. Then put the red lead in each hole in turn.
Maypole looks a good bet to look. If I can get a reasonable bargain I'll do as pappajohn suggests and just plug and hopefully, play.
The next thing are the boxes. Hugely expensive. Can't really see how a small, aluminium or plastic box can cost over £300! And then there's the bak-rak type mounting nearly £200. They really must see us coming! :(

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have attached a spare wheel carrier to my towbar which obscures the number plate. All I have done is put a number plate to the back box, illuminated by a motorbike type led number plate light plugged into the trailer socket.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Incdentally Reallyretired, what back box did you opt for? I'm just not prepared to pay the silly Fiamma prices.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As @tacr2man says, first check that the earth pin is connected. To do this, set the meter to Ohms (maybe a symbol Ω that looks like a headphone). The display should show OVERLOAD, OVLD or maybe just OL. Touch the red and black leads together. The display should show a very low ohms figure, typically 0.3ohms. That's the resistance of the test leads.

Push one probe onto the metalwork and the other onto Pin 3(Earth). If it reads low ohms, maybe 0.5 ohms, then the earth is OK. If it stays on OVERLOAD then there's something wrong with the earth connection to Pin 3. None of the trailer lights will work until that's fixed.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Incdentally Reallyretired, what back box did you opt for? I'm just not prepared to pay the silly Fiamma prices.
As I read it he didn't fit a box, Just a spare wheel and carrier

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Geo-you may be right but he says "All I have done is put a number plate to the back box..."

Wondered what the back box was, is all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back