Help with Thetford exterior door lock (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Made the mistake of taking part the door lock the cassette compartment, door is a Door 3 made by Thetford. Cannot locate how to put it back together. Anyone out there who has done the repair or knows whence to find the answer. No instructions according to the sellers of the spare parts.

OP
OP
Ian Bosman
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Solved the issue fairly simply. Download from Thetford the file Spare List Exteriors and way down on page 14 there is an exploded diagram of both the lock parts and the button with key. Basically there are three springs, two of which are identical to hold the fork in place. The third spring is behind the lock button - see photo. The tricky part is ensuring that the latch (grey plastic) and the white fork part are properly sitting on their bearers, inserting the latch first and the white fork laid on top which means the little bit of gearing engages with each other and the two springs are engaged and while replacing the cover hold the latch in the sticking out position so that you can check it all works properly before replacing the screws, took a couple of goes to get the parts properly aligned. The non keyed button has a similar mechanism. I would say that you need to take the door off first by pulling out the two plastic hinge pins so that you can hold the door horizontal on a table while you are fiddling about. I sat in the motorhome doing this. Note that the button has a correct way and a wrong way for insertion, blue bit is at right angles to one side of the door or the other, the wrong way it will be angled.
IMG_0594.jpg

Attachments

• ThetfordDoor3Lock.docx
    291 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Ian, that has to be the most comprehensive break down on a s**t house door ever. Well done you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Long time
How easy is it to pull out , and to replace the hinge pins, as I need to repair our lock mechanism?
Having bought the lock parts I don’t want to get the locker door off and not be able to replace it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back