Help with motorhome security camera (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Ok, lots of Google and searching on here and can't find an answer.

I want to be able to view externally the hab door at night, thought was to get a small Bluetooth camera and fit to wing mirror, but all I can find is cameras that only appear to work on WiFi???

As this is only when I am in the van I don't want to waste data.

Was thinking to pair with phone, but a small monitor is an option

Help or thoughts appreciated

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ok, lots of Google and searching on here and can't find an answer.

I want to be able to view externally the hab door at night, thought was to get a small Bluetooth camera and fit to wing mirror, but all I can find is cameras that only appear to work on WiFi???

As this is only when I am in the van I don't want to waste data.

Was thinking to pair with phone, but a small monitor is an option

Help or thoughts appreciated
Couldn’t you look in the mirror?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry a video signal. Hence WiFi and it's higher power requirements. But there are battery powered WiFi cameras like Blink and Eufy.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is there a way I can link a camera to my phone without using mobile data?
I can't think of an easy solution. Eufy cameras store the data locally and only stream when you view them, so data is low, but not zero.

Maybe the lower tech solution of a reversing camera would be better?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Look for a WiFi camera with RTSP streaming capabilities. You can then view the stream locally via WiFi. Using VLC or similar on a tablet. Or you could get very sophisticated and set up a RaspberryPI, install HomeAssistant and run Frigate on it and record and display many cameras all run locally. There are some very cheap WiFi cameras from China.
Beware though, HomeAssistant can be very addictive and once down the rabbit hole it is difficult to climb out. 😀

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Look for a WiFi camera with RTSP streaming capabilities. You can then view the stream locally via WiFi. Using VLC or similar on a tablet. Or you could get very sophisticated and set up a RaspberryPI, install HomeAssistant and run Frigate on it and record and display many cameras all run locally. There are some very cheap WiFi cameras from China.
Beware though, HomeAssistant can be very addictive and once down the rabbit hole it is difficult to climb out. 😀
My house has 47 devices attached to Home Assistant. As well as the several dozen services for things like weather and daylight. It's growing all the time!

I did have my Victron gear set up on a mini HA hub for a little while just as a proof of concept. But that was before I had lithium and my battery was knackered, so it was only temporary.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Arlo go,
has it's own sim card for £4 p/m and can be placed anywhere.
Expensive though.

Graydo

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Don't won't anything permanently mounted.

Thought I could just use a suction pad mount and small Bluetooth camera.

But all the ones I have looked at want wifi
A mate of mine has his camera mounted on to a magnet, then moves this around as required.

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Thanks all, going to take one of my home cameras out and run a test to see how much data I use over an hour using photo as hotspot

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks all, going to take one of my home cameras out and run a test to see how much data I use over an hour using photo as hotspot
You shouldn’t use any data if you use an RTSP feed via Wi-Fi. If you are using the makers own app then you will use loads of data.
I have been looking for small streamlined cameras to mount on the mirrors permanently but all I can find is permanently wired ones rather than Wi-Fi. Let me know if you find any.

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
You shouldn’t use any data if you use an RTSP feed via Wi-Fi. If you are using the makers own app then you will use loads of data.
I have been looking for small streamlined cameras to mount on the mirrors permanently but all I can find is permanently wired ones rather than Wi-Fi. Let me know if you find any.
Wired might be an option as can run cable through mirror loom OldAgeTravellers what ones did you find?

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
I have a GoPro (camera) which I can monitor and control with my phone using a direct WiFi connection, but, whilst doing so I can't then connect to anything else via WiFi, mobile data still works though. So the functionality exists. Perhaps this is what OldAgeTravellers is referring to when saying RTSP?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All dash cams with wifi, link direct to the phone so no data used. A Kaiser Baas RB50 if you can find one would be a good choice very small as doesn't have a screen it's what I use in the Motorhome.
but the battery life of dash cames is short so you would probably have to run a USB lead to it for power.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Mainly due to fear a big bad guy is hanging around to pounce
That rarely happens and knowing a few milliseconds before he ripped the door off with a wrecking bar doesn't achieve anything, just create anxiety

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Someone has to ask why?
so you know what is going on outside without those outside knowing anyone inside is watching,& waiting,for those outsideto get up to something.
That rarely happens and knowing a few milliseconds before he ripped the door off with a wrecking bar doesn't achieve anything, just create anxiety
to be confronted with pepper spray, ammonia, fire extinguisher,a gun.(y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was involved in motorhome security for over thirty years, wrote the Code of Practice for the VSIB (Vehicle Security Installation Board) was consulted by Thatcham, was the MMM security consultant and have written hundreds of articles over the years about motorhome security

99% of theft is causal and opportunistic, with it taking place late at night, un confrontational (which is why their skulking around in the dark)

The last people to be shot was a pair of Germans in a van in Scotland and they were shot by a Scottish farmer!

A decent alarm is normally enough to make some one bugger off and try an easier target, which of course is the logic behind alarms, 10 alarmed vans, one not alarmed, which one gets done first?

The bleaty, drippy posts on here, “I lost my money” “I woke up and someone was in the cab“ type posts, Why didn’t the alarm wake you up when they opened the door? “I don’t believe in alarms!” and why are you so stupid to leave your wallet and handbag on the dash boards “No one told us not to!”

But, brushing stupidly aside, how any people have been broken into where malice and violence was used, resulting in people fighting fist to fist, or, resorting to pepper sprays, guns, or even the old favourite, beer BBQ talk of the “baseball bat” “They’d get a dose of this old Son” slapping it into a arthritic withered hand, while Dorris his wife looks on with coquettish admiration, a finger curl of her lank, greasy grey hair! misty eyed at her hero!

Whereas, a base ball bat in a confined space is pretty useless when you consider you have a van full of weapons to twat someone with

So why doesn’t it happen?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I was involved in motorhome security for over thirty years, wrote the Code of Practice for the VSIB (Vehicle Security Installation Board) was consulted by Thatcham, was the MMM security consultant and have written hundreds of articles over the years about motorhome security

99% of theft is causal and opportunistic, with it taking place late at night, un confrontational (which is why their skulking around in the dark)

The last people to be shot was a pair of Germans in a van in Scotland and they were shot by a Scottish farmer!

A decent alarm is normally enough to make some one bugger off and try an easier target, which of course is the logic behind alarms, 10 alarmed vans, one not alarmed, which one gets done first?

The bleaty, drippy posts on here, “I lost my money” “I woke up and someone was in the cab“ type posts, Why didn’t the alarm wake you up when they opened the door? “I don’t believe in alarms!” and why are you so stupid to leave your wallet and handbag on the dash boards “No one told us not to!”

But, brushing stupidly aside, how any people have been broken into where malice and violence was used, resulting in people fighting fist to fist, or, resorting to pepper sprays, guns, or even the old favourite, beer BBQ talk of the “baseball bat” “They’d get a dose of this old Son” slapping it into a arthritic withered hand, while Dorris his wife looks on with coquettish admiration, a finger curl of her lank, greasy grey hair! misty eyed at her hero!

Whereas, a base ball bat in a confined space is pretty useless when you consider you have a van full of weapons to twat someone with

Stop talking sense. It adds nothing to the discussion.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Scenario….

You hear a noise outside, you look in the camera and there’s a dodgy bloke standing there, you screem and bang about and he runs off, you pack away and drive somewhere in the middle of the night to possibly another dodgy aire because you can’t see properly in the dark, you both stay up awake all night as your worried that they followed you and your going to get massacred and say this it not worth dying for and give up motorhoming….

Reality….

Some bloke out side usually French is having a sneaky piss up your wheel (as they do) and you frighten the shit out of him….
And your life is ruined…

Sometimes you’ll frighten yourself and not knowing what’s happening outside usually comes to nothing and your better off not worrying about it….

And if the wife is worried about it then it’s not worth it as it’s supposed to be an enjoyable hobby so stay on a campsite…🙂👍🏼

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This year we are going through France and into Spain, virtually all P4N's / Aires, so will be a good test, but we are travelling with friends so should be fine? Worst case I will find sites 🤞

I’m probably seen as an easy target, an old man in a wheelchair with no legs on his own… I travel extensively all around Europe and have not met with any hostility at all, and I do park in some dodgy places sometimes.. I probably worry more when in the uk, motorhomes and campervans are seen all the time all over Europe and are common place for them…

Try not to worry and if your travelling with someone else in a camper then you can keep an eye on each other…

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Or how about this
Stick magnets to the mounting bracket and put it wherever there is some steel to stick it to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back