Help with automatic gearbox fault please. (1 Viewer)

Aug 24, 2023
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-i 414
Exp
I’m a newbie
Any ideas? I have a 2019 Exsis-i 414
On a Fiat with a 6 speed auto, every now and again, after driving with no problem up and down the gears, i come to a stop at a junction and though the engine is still running it will not rev up to pull away. Moving from drive to neutral and back into drive would make it come back to life and away i would drive. Today it happened twice and both times i had to turn the engine off and back on again before it would pull away?
I presume it must be something electrical?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Does it have the comformatic gearbox? If so there are a load of posts on here with various issues if you do a search, Adams Morey at Southampton appear to be the go to garage for issues with these.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Auto box actuation fluid is due a change I would imagine. Adams Morey as above £147.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
2019 fiat auto is a Comfortmatic unit. That is a manual box with added actuators and servos controlled by electronics that changes gears.

The main unit system uses a brake type fluid. This can age and get contaminated. Often missed on service schedules recommended to be changed every 2 years. At same time the electronics get reset to allow for adjustment of the kiss point wear on clutch.

Failure of the main servo cylinder or slave cylinder from contamination is very costly to replace. Adams Morey Portsmouth or Southampton are the people who properly understand the Comfortmatic, but don't come cheap.

There are many threads on MHF on the Comfortmatic issues and also how to temporarily DIY reset (see Dunnah01).

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Does it have the comformatic gearbox? If so there are a load of posts on here with various issues if you do a search, Adams Morey at Southampton appear to be the go to garage for issues with these.

Portsmouth branch has a better record than Southampton 👍

A cautionary tale. Adams Morey Southampton did the fluid change on mine last year and on their test drive the slave cylinder failed ruining the clutch. Suspect they left air in the system and didn't do it right. The van is now in Adams Morey Bournemouth with apparently the same fault. They are talking to Fiat Italy, as I think they cocked it up. The van has only done a couple of hundred miles since the £2500 bill last August

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Make sure you aren't touching the brake at the same time as the accelerator. You will get the exact same symptoms. You don't do left foot braking do you?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Make sure you aren't touching the brake at the same time as the accelerator. You will get the exact same symptoms. You don't do left foot braking do you?
Easily done. Also, if you don't put your right foot on the brake pedal when changing back from neutral to auto 1st gear when the traffic lights turn green, you get a similar issue with engine revving but no propulsion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back