Help wiring a small camper (1 Viewer)

Chill

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Looking for some advise or useful links . I'm about to start converting my van (traffic) will be more of a day van than camper . Was planning to just wire it up with a straight forward 240v kit no leasure batteries , a couple of sockets with USB's , possibly a 12v socket . Was wondering what's the best way to go about wiring a couple of lights in , will they be wired to the rcd or is some 12v lights better ? .

Many thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First question.... Where are you getting the 230vac supply from?
230v lights need wiring through a 6amp mcb and 230v sockets need wiring through a 16amp mcb.
You can't simply wire to a single rcd... Well you can but its not good practise and not recommended.
The fuse box needs connecting via an rcd main switch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chill

Chill

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
I was looking to get one of the kits offline , hookup socket , rcd , wiring etc . Or using a small garage rcd maybe , I'm fairly clueless and loozing for advice . Once I'm ready to fit I can probably call on elec friend for help if needs be

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Have a look on the Magnums Motorhomes website as they do various kits, I used the PMS3 unit on my conversion.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, what I mean is How are you getting a 230v supply....
Hookup
Generator.
Inverter etc

Hookup means a campsite and if the van Looks like a van with a mattress in the back campsites are going to be hard to find. Generator means prolonged noise and fuel cost.
Inverter means a lot of expense and a large battery bank (3 or 4 batteries) and charging system and a few solar panels to keep them charged.

Much better to wire for mainly 12v with a couple of 230v sockets.for campsite use.

OP
OP
Chill

Chill

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Sorry . Campsite hookup . Going to be doing a bit of work to the van , side windows , fully lined , R&R bed , swivel front seats , drive away awning etc

OP
OP
Chill

Chill

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Yea got that all planned seen a good package on the sound deadening shop

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you having a permanent fridge? If so you're gonna need to have a way to power it on the move so just having a mains system won't really work.

OP
OP
Chill

Chill

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
No there won't be any fixed appliances , full width rock and roll on rails in the back and that's about it .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
unusual to wire a van solely for 240v as it means nothing usable other than on hookup but if thats what you want you will need a inlet socket a garage fuse box then wiring i would fit a double socket with usb fitted they are about Ā£10 from screwfix for white plastic
sound deading isnt the same as insulation

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
you will get more responses on diymotorhomes.com a sister site to this

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No there won't be any fixed appliances , full width rock and roll on rails in the back and that's about it .
You may have some issues on campsites as they tend to only like to have campers with at least SOME facilities in them ... not just a large sofa/bed otherwise they might think you're going to set up a certain business! :oops:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Looking for some advise or useful links . I'm about to start converting my van (traffic) will be more of a day van than camper .

If you want to change the classification on V5C to 'Motor Caravan' ..

Minimum requirements.. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome

It's not mandatory but you will get cheaper insurance.. also

most sites don't allow commercial vehicles, ie unconverted panel vans,.. if it doesn't look like a camper van, ie side window, etc some sites may not allow you to stay.. and if you don't have on-board washing and toilet facilities , you will have to use sites with full facilities which are generally a lot more expensive than basic sites that just provide water and toilet dumping ..

good luck with the conversion..

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Looking for some advise or useful links . I'm about to start converting my van (traffic) will be more of a day van than camper . Was planning to just wire it up with a straight forward 240v kit no leasure batteries , a couple of sockets with USB's , possibly a 12v socket . Was wondering what's the best way to go about wiring a couple of lights in , will they be wired to the rcd or is some 12v lights better ? .

Many thanks
Can't give you a link at the moment but I'm certain you can buy a dedicated wiring loom from Sargent giving you all the 240v and 12v including the onboard chargers.
Also go to The Vauxhall Owner forum (van derivatives including Campervans) section which has a good section.
Vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you want to wire it properly according to the regs, a garage kit or shower kit is not compliant. The MCB needs to be a DOUBLE POLE type. MCBs in garage and shower kits are single pole. I have never seen double pole MCBs available in any DIY store, including Screwfix. They are available on Ebay, or most DIY stores outside the UK. Something like this:

I imagine most people aren't too interested in this, but I'm saying it just for the record anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The MCB needs to be a DOUBLE POLE type.
In fact 'Single Pole Plus Neutral' MCBs will be OK, because they will switch both live and neutral in the event of an overload. The MCB(s) in the Sargent control units look as if they are single pole plus neutral so they are OK. Garage kits and shower kits have single pole MCBs.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
If you want to wire it properly according to the regs, a garage kit or shower kit is not compliant. The MCB needs to be a DOUBLE POLE type. MCBs in garage and shower kits are single pole. I have never seen double pole MCBs available in any DIY store, including Screwfix. They are available on Ebay, or most DIY stores outside the UK. Something like this:

I imagine most people aren't too interested in this, but I'm saying it just for the record anyway.
which reg are you quoting?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back