Help required with shortlist please! (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Hi all, first post after my introduction!

I have been spending hours researching and viewing MHs over the past few weeks after renting one last month and falling in love with the concept. My budget was originally £30k but quickly discovered I won't be able to get what I want for that which I'm sure is quite normal! I'm now open to go to £40k if required To cut a long story short, the layout on our rented MH taught us a lot about what we didn't like so we now believe our ideal van will be.

1) sub 6m
2) end kitchen or possibly end bathroom (end kitchen preferable)
3) drop down bed
4) build quality needs to be good
5) ideally not more than around 8 years old

I would be open to an A class but recognise this is unlikely to be possible for the budget so probably coach built. We have so far got a shortlist of 2 but there are very few available currently in this "buyers market" . The shortlist comprises of Burstner Ixeo 585 and Rollerteam 590. I have found a Burstner that is available locally, within budget and I'm sorely tempted but there is an issue which I'm not sure is a deal breaker. The drop down bed, when in the raised position is not quite high enough and I have to lower my head by a couple of inches when I walk into the lounge area. There is nothing that will cause me any injury but I don't know how "annoying" it will be having to duck ever so slightly every time I walk in/through.

Does anyone have any experience of this and did it result in having to sell? Or does anyone have any other alternatives to suggest with similar layout?

Thanks in advance
Pablo

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Hi Jev. It's just a slight lowering of the head, not uncomfortable to do and it doesn't feel like it will be any great issue but it's maybe one of things that will grate!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Difficult to picture but how often are you going to walk from cab to the real part of your MH?
I think the bed is one of those that goes up over the actual lounge during the day, not an overcab one.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Jev. It's just a slight lowering of the head, not uncomfortable to do and it doesn't feel like it will be any great issue but it's maybe one of things that will grate!
Personally I wouldn't do it ... it WILL annoy you over time, it's bad enough bashing your bonce when going from cab to rear never mind when you just stand up from the 'sofa'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I think the bed is one of those that goes up over the actual lounge during the day, not an overcab one.
Yes Minxy, it's a real shame, love it apart from the height issue.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Personally I wouldn't do it ... it WILL annoy you over time, it's bad enough bashing your bonce when going from cab to rear never mind when you just stand up from the 'sofa'.
Sorry, didn't clock this was you as well! That's my gut feel as well I think although part of me is saying "no, it'll be fine!"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Something like this? It is 6.3m though.
DP

I just found a great motorhome on Auto Trader.
Broken Link Removed

Thanks DP+Jay, food for thought. It is a bit too long and I'm also struggling to consider spending a huge sum of money on something that old! I know the quality will be there though and will give years more service. I did find a Hymer within budget as well which I haven't completely ruled out. I think the Roller Team may be the answer if I can find one within budget.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
Pablo19 Hi there, I have the Rollerteam 590 just coming up to two years. I am 6 foot and have found the height of the bed when fully raised fine. We find the layout suits us and works very well, plenty of room as there is only ever two of us. The storage is adequate and sensibly located. If you require more detailed info on this particular model feel free to pm me.
Nigel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Pablo19 Hi there, I have the Rollerteam 590 just coming up to two years. I am 6 foot and have found the height of the bed when fully raised fine. We find the layout suits us and works very well, plenty of room as there is only ever two of us. The storage is adequate and sensibly located. If you require more detailed info on this particular model feel free to pm me.
Nigel.
Thanks Nigel, apologies for the delayed response, I had to subscribe and wasn't in a position to! I really like the 590 and if I can fit under it I would be very tempted. There aren't many around at the moment and the only ones in my price bracket are ex rentals which I'm not overly keen on. Can you keep the bed made up when it's stowed and still get under?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
Pablo 19. Yes it’s never been an issue, my wife generally leaves quilt, pillows and assorted sheets and covers etc. all in place and just sends the bed up until the limit switch cuts it out. I would not have been pleased if I had to duck as we all know what would happen after a beer or two. This was our first Motorhome and the first we looked at, it has been great but so are others. As previously, any questions just ask.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Pablo19 I am 6ft4 and over the years have had several vans where I needed to duck my head down to walk about. However if you think about it, you spend most of your time inside either sat or in bed. So no great problem

Build quality, the burstners are far better built than the much cheaper new roller team vans. The slightly older hymers are better built than the burstner. Having bought and sold a great many vans, I would always advise in going for quality rather than a few years newer and not so well built. If the age on the number plate offends you, stick on a private plate

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Hi Pablo19 I am 6ft4 and over the years have had several vans where I needed to duck my head down to walk about. However if you think about it, you spend most of your time inside either sat or in bed. So no great problem

Build quality, the burstners are far better built than the much cheaper new roller team vans. The slightly older hymers are better built than the burstner. Having bought and sold a great many vans, I would always advise in going for quality rather than a few years newer and not so well built. If the age on the number plate offends you, stick on a private plate
Thanks TheBig1, sound advice and I'm grateful. I'm not offended by any number plate btw, just conscious that in other forms of transport, like cars, motorbikes etc old normally means more maintenance. Where I guess MHs are different is that even old ones haven't generally done a load of miles and it's the fixtures and fittings that generally last much better. We really did like everything about the Burstner apart from the height of the bed and even that didn't feel like it would be an issue like you have said. I think we may go and have another look at it and make a decision. I have found another option which may also be ok, a Carado this time. I've asked about the height so may have the same issue. Quality hopefully ok as it's also a Hymer brand apparently.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Always a tough call deciding which van to go for.

Although I agree - to some extent - about choosing a 'quality' brand, a restricted budget often means buying an older van.

However, driving characteristics change and generally improve on newer base chassis'.

For example, our first van was a 2004 small Rapido coachbuilt (709f). The habitation side was a bit dated, but everything worked fine and reasonably well specified. But driving was a different story, regarding steering, suspension and brakes - it was like a cart. When it was time to change, we got a good price because of the brand.

The next van was a brand new 2010 budget Chausson (Flash S2) - well known, but not same conversion quality as the Rapido. But the next generation base vehicle (X250) was a revelation and so much better to drive. After five happy years, we changed again, and managed to buy a new Rapido van conversion (V68) on the X290 chassis, which currently works perfectly for us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Always a tough call deciding which van to go for.

Although I agree - to some extent - about choosing a 'quality' brand, a restricted budget often means buying an older van.

However, driving characteristics change and generally improve on newer base chassis'.

For example, our first van was a 2004 small Rapido coachbuilt (709f). The habitation side was a bit dated, but everything worked fine and reasonably well specified. But driving was a different story, regarding steering, suspension and brakes - it was like a cart. When it was time to change, we got a good price because of the brand.

The next van was a brand new 2010 budget Chausson (Flash S2) - well known, but not same conversion quality as the Rapido. But the next generation base vehicle (X250) was a revelation and so much better to drive. After five happy years, we changed again, and managed to buy a new Rapido van conversion (V68) on the X290 chassis, which currently works perfectly for us.
That's a really good point Mike. Is it normal practice to ask to drive them before buying from a dealer? I know they all feel a bit "agricultural" but is there anything in particular to watch out for?
Thanks

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That's a really good point Mike. Is it normal practice to ask to drive them before buying from a dealer? I know they all feel a bit "agricultural" but is there anything in particular to watch out for?
Thanks
You are right - they can feel somewhat agricultural, if you are used to driving a modern medium to large sized car. But, as mentioned, they have improved significantly. The habitation size can be a bit noisy also.

Because MHs are based on commercial vehicles, the rear suspension tends to be quite harsh - well at least on the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen chassis.

If you are buying a used 'in stock' van, then definitely request a test drive - which should be willingly granted. Just like buying a used car, I guess. Whereas, if you are ordering a new van and it is being registered in your name as the first keeper, it might be more tricky. Although if it's brand new, but in stock, then it might still be possible to test drive with trade plates on?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
You are right - they can feel somewhat agricultural, if you are used to driving a modern medium to large sized car. But, as mentioned, they have improved significantly. The habitation size can be a bit noisy also.

Because MHs are based on commercial vehicles, the rear suspension tends to be quite harsh - well at least on the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen chassis.

If you are buying a used 'in stock' van, then definitely request a test drive - which should be willingly granted. Just like buying a used car, I guess. Whereas, if you are ordering a new van and it is being registered in your name as the first keeper, it might be more tricky. Although if it's brand new, but in stock, then it might still be possible to test drive with trade plates on?

Thanks Mike, I will certainly do that now. I only have one experience of driving one rental MH so far but have driven plenty of 7.5 tonne vans so understand what to expect!

Upvote 0

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Hi Pablo,
I second what Nigel said. We bought a T Line 590. Love it. Works really well for 2 people.
Comfy, spacious and plenty of storage.
Alright it’s not a Hymer but it’s not Hymer money either.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Hi Pablo,
I second what Nigel said. We bought a T Line 590. Love it. Works really well for 2 people.
Comfy, spacious and plenty of storage.
Alright it’s not a Hymer but it’s not Hymer money either.

thanks Buzz. I have a mate who owns one, will go and see his and see if I can fit under the bed ok! He seems to think I will be able to.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
Pablo19 Great news, they look fabulous. Make sure everything is as it should be when you collect. I think there are some valuable checklists on here if you search.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know it may not be important, but I is Woman and we look at different things.

LOVE the floor in the shower and the toilet room and LOVE the shape of the sink. :)
Very cute looking ain't they ... I've seen them in the flesh and they are just as good ... you just want to 'cuddle' them. :giggle:

I like the kitchen sink and hob, very practical.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back