Help, please, with the dreaded Hymer door lock problems! (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've read numerous posts on here about problems with springs in Hymer door locks.
Last year, we had a problem whereby we could not open the hab door from the outside. At that time the top latch on the door was not opening when we unlocked the van from the outside, but could be moved manually from the inside in order to open the door. That problem was resolved under warranty.

We're now out of warranty and a similar problem seems to have arisen with the lower door latch.
I've read posts which indicate that the springs in the locks are naff and often need to be replaced, and I'm guessing that this is probably the cause of our problem.

My big question is 'How the hell do you remove the latch?'
20200620_101742[1855].jpg

The above is the offending item.

In particular, I read a thread by Stewart J , in which he showed a picture of this latch having been removed.

A secondary, and related problem is that 'the bit that the latch locks into' (sorry don't know what it's called), on the upper fitting, is no longer fitted straight.

This has probably occurred as a result of trying to force the door to open/shut - so entirely our fault. šŸ™„

Again, we are at a loss as to see how to remove it in order to straighten it.

20200620_101247[1853].jpg

Can some kind and knowledgeable person please advise as to how we should proceed?

Many thanks.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I believe you have a b544 but my locks are different....

firstly you should try and straighten the black bar, the plastic cover should just come of with some careful prising and the nuts on the bar can be loosened and then get the bar straight... tighten up a go from there..

to get into the door lock will take some further investigation...

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Also if the retaining bar is set too far into the hab door then the door latch cannot ā€œspringā€ open when you try to open the door .. it will need some trial and error on setting the black retaining bar just right...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Garry says the lock bar is easy just pop the cover off and adjust the locking nuts, done it a few times on mine. To get at the latch in the door you need to remove the internal door panel. Probably best to get a set of car door panel trim removal tools (about a tenner on eBay) so you don't break the plastic studs when prizing it off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
In the photo is the flyscreen frame covering the the nuts used for amusement, if so it is the same as ours and you have to remove the screen frame first to get access.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Let us know how easy a job it is, as I've got the same problem on my B585. The internal door panel has obviously got to come off, but the plastic doesn't seem to have any give, I can imagine it cracking very easily and being an Hymer part not cheap to replace!

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Let us know how easy a job it is, as I've got the same problem on my B585. The internal door panel has obviously got to come off, but the plastic doesn't seem to have any give, I can imagine it cracking very easily and being an Hymer part not cheap to replace!

Pete
Do it on a nice warm day or put the heating on full blast for an hour or two will minimize the chance of it cracking.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

Pete
Sad to say, no job is 'easy' for us. I'll take all the advice given on here and we'll have a go.
If we feel uncomfortable we'll call it a day and have it done at Campirama. That could be a cheaper option than mucking it up - although I have read on German forums of people paying 400 Euros for similar jobs!

In the photo is the flyscreen frame covering the the nuts used for amusement, if so it is the same as ours and you have to remove the screen frame first to get access.

No, not for amusement :( . It does make it difficult to get at. We may have to do the same as you.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Adjustment if you need to remove the frame only remove one side, simply lift the frame about 10mm and there should be enough room to pull the frame back towards you giving access to the nuts once the black cover is removed.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I had the same problem, bought a coil spring assortment from Ebay, Ā£5, fitted to retract the latches and gave it a good spray with PTFE, from lidl. A dry lubricant. Every thing works but could have done with adjusting the bars to give a better release.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Well done, ctc (y) . I see you've got an A Class. How difficult was it to remove the door panel? That's the bit that's worrying us.:(

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
There was a hole for a rubber cover in the door panel and a hole in the latch. I took a coil spring and fitted it to pull the latch back when the handle is operated.
Please tell me how šŸ˜•

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
That's interesting Tykatem. Am I right in thinking that you've just stopped it from locking by holding the latch back with the elastic? If so, I think that could be a good solution for us, as we also have an Abus lock on the hab door.
I think we've discounted removing the door panel. Too much of a risk that we would damage it. :oops:

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
That's interesting Tykatem. Am I right in thinking that you've just stopped it from locking by holding the latch back with the elastic?

No! fitting the elastic bands has got the mechanism working as it should ie It will open, close and lock.

Pete

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
By way of an update. Having carefully considered all our options we reached the conclusion that we were far too incompetent to try to repair the catches ourselves. Both catches needed to be repaired, so we got it done at Campirama. 2 hours' labour including greasing the alko chassis ā‚¬150.
Now got our fi gers crossed that it doesn't happen again.;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back