Help needed from you electronics type people (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
OK, a while ago I noticed that the battery charger in the MH would occasionally buzz, it sounded a bit like a fan hitting the casing, this gradually got worse and more frequent and when I first looked at it the fan was not the issue but the unit was getting very hot.

The unit now will run for a while but then cut out (presumably due to over heat issue).

I have removed the cover and run it until the buzzing starts and can confirm that the fan is not the issue but cannot pinpoint where the buzzing is coming from.

The closest thing I can see is the white item in the second picture which gets extremely hot and there does seem to be some very slight discolouration on the pcb in this area.

I cannot see any other signs of arcing anywhere on the board itself.

The charger is a BCA 20amp dual output (PS306-6A-BC)

So my question is do any of you know what the item is and where can I get one from.

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

OP
OP
Gerby
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Look at the make, you might be able to send it off to them for repair.

Hi irnbru it's a BCA unit, I can get a new one for about £130 and any repair will probably be not a lot less than that. I just begrudge chucking out electrical items that normally have just one cheap component that has failed with the rest of the item being perfectly OK.

The annoying thing is the charger works perfectly fine until the buzzing starts leading to an overheat issue (this can be well over an hour) I have a feeling that the thing is some form of switching unit but not really sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The white thing in your second pic is a power resister, there is no way that will make a noise. It's quite common for them to get hot and with it a bit of PCB discoloration.

In the top pic the cream coloured item with a red & yellow wire going to it is a transformer or choke so is the item below it with the yellow wire, also there is one in your 2nd pic to the left, they are more likely to be the source of the buzzing.

I would give BCA a ring, maybe a common problem and they can tell you which part to change.
If a new unit is only £130 that would probably be cheaper than getting someone to repair it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
mine has a similar problem. Traced the buzzing to a small Omron relay. Replaced relay but still buzzing. I have noticed that the small PSU fan does not run even though it tests fine. I have also noticed that the buzzing does NOT come on if I keep the supply cool using another fan.
My guess is that the circuit that determines when to run the small fan is the issue.

Any one have a schematic diagram for this supply?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back