SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
This issue is not just confined to Spain but the whole of the EU!

EU law states that to be legal in ANY EU country the vehicle MUST be legal in its country of registration.

The aim is to remove from the road vehicles that have been imported to another country but not registered in that country.

There are lots of reason and excuses as to why people have not reregistered their vehicles (no speeding tickets, no tax or local tax to pay, etc) but it does not alter the fact that they are illegal.

Just because they have not been caught yet, does not mean that its OK.

Terry

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
I have total sympathy for the situation the OP finds himself in. Whilst in Spain yesterday, reading the original post I wondered when our MOT was due, at 5:45 am I was searching for the docs in the MH cupboard. Hubby was VERY pleased! We found the MOT runs out at midnight TONIGHT. By 9 am yesterday we were packed up and drove 12 hours to the port and have driven 10 hours today. Will book MOT tomorrow.
If I had not read the post then we would have been in Spain and France for another 2 weeks , driving illegally. Many thanks MotorhomeFun and hubby owes me big time!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
up until just a few years ago there was a grace period of 14 days, but this was removed when the new online mot system started.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its rather tricky as an MOT station must be licenced and regularly inspected. cost a fair bit to run too with the equipment needed, rolling road/brake tester and exhaust gas analysers that need to be calibrated

a few years back a british mechanic on the algarve was doing mot "tests" and their sister garage in the uk would mail out the certificate and register the entry on the system. this quickly got caught and stamped out
Not to mention the registered pc and printer sourced from, i believe, VOSA.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We found the MOT runs out at midnight TONIGHT.

Since everyone has computers, smart phones, tablets etc why don't people put reminders on their Calendars? We have all this stuff, including insurances, card "valid to" dates, HMRC tax payments etc on the built-in calendar apps with reminders set well in advance for important things which fall due when we are away. Backed up on the cloud, so there's no excuse.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Since everyone has computers, smart phones, tablets etc why don't people put reminders on their Calendars? We have all this stuff, including insurances, card "valid to" dates, HMRC tax payments etc on the built-in calendar apps with reminders set well in advance for important things which fall due when we are away. Backed up on the cloud, so there's no excuse.

No excuse? Please...the OP dealing with a berievement and admited he had left things slip.....also not everyone is that techy.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I was replying to retiringjoyce, that's why I quoted from it. The point remains valid: there are ways of avoiding nasty surprises such as this. I have missed deadlines before and that's why everything is now on our electronic calendars. Nothing wrong with old-tech paper and pencil either.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I agree, I use google calendar so it updates on our phones, laptops and tablets automatically. only have to enter it once

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sometimes people are very unforgiving, I had no idea there are so many people that don't make mistakes, errors or omissions in their lives, here's a few of mine.

Went away for a week came home to find the key left in the door.

In the days before auto lock, searched for a day for car keys only to find them in the door.

Went for an interview for a very senior position ( years ago) in odd shoes, 1 black and 1 a brown brogue!

Forgot to insure the car ( house move) points and a fine.

Forgot to MOT car, points and a fine.

Put my arm around an unknown woman in a shop thinking it was the wife (similar outfits) luckily got off with a smile!

I suppose I could go on, but remember this, a man (or woman) who makes no mistakes, makes nothing!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A simple reminder for the missing tax disc is to doctor Jim's smiley download and add an expiry date to show on the screen. I've done it for 3 vehicles although it looks a bit naff on the Merc! :cautious:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I can relate to most of those mistakes and add failing to send in a necessary update to companies house the week my dad died and got fined (appealed and was let off)

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
To answer Geejay I have spreadsheet for insurance and tax for our vehicles, our old van was MOTed in March, our other vehicles do not need an MOT. When getting ready to Governor away, life was manic with family ill health, plumbing issues in the house, etc. We had presumed that we bought the van in October, it was only the thread on the forum that made me think, I looked up my bank account to see when we paid for the vehicle and discovered it was the 20th of September.
The spreadsheet has of course been updated.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If the person has recovery can't he get recovered back to the UK as the vehicle is un drivable

Even if the Spanish will release the vehicle, it is a condition of all breakdown services that the vehicle is taxed & MoT'd AFAIK.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
After all the criticism I'm not surprised
There is more to this OP than meets the eye, criticism or not he should at least reply and if all is true at his end I'm sure many MHF members who live out here can advise or help. There is always teo sides to any story and we have heard little or nothing from his side. Sorry to be so blunt, but what would have happened if he crashed into me / you or any MHF member? would they all be "damming" me for my frank, but honest opinion. If I'm wrong I will be the first to put my hands up and say sorry, but I doubt it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I did my post about letting them have it it was partly in jest, but as we have no indication of it's worth and the likely cost of bringing it home as he has no chance of it coming on its own wheels, it maybe the only choice I'm afraid.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I would imagine he is an expat. I have been away for 5 months but realised before I went that my MOT would run out whilst away, so had another MOT done before I went. This meant I could tax and insure my vehicle while I was away.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A simple reminder for the missing tax disc is to doctor Jim's smiley download and add an expiry date to show on the screen. I've done it for 3 vehicles although it looks a bit naff on the Merc! :cautious:
... need to get a better quality of MH to stick it on then! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back