Help Help Help! never ever done this before! (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Today I have been handed a circa 1950s Tin Toy Truck, recently bought in action by a relative! It needs a front bumper.

Yes I can fashion a new Bumper, yes I can "age" it, however although I have been promised to get all the kit required to solder the bleddy thing on, I haven't a clue how to do it.

I have been backed into a corner for this! :doh: "darlin" when shown the truck ,

"Oh John will do that for you, he'll need a soldering iron, he's restored, and repaired several tin plate toys in his collection!"

So now she's dug the hole, can you give me a few tips, how to avoid Fubars? , common errors? Not saying a step by step tuition just a couple of tips, to make things easy. Never soldered before!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Don’t hold the soldering iron like this. :p

07FF1EC6-6AFB-4D03-A409-08ABC6265651.jpeg

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
in this instance.... You tube will be your friend (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
in this instance.... You tube will be your friend (y)
I hope his has better results than the video I watched on how to change a broken screen on a Samsung S5
They missed the step out where a Samsung engineer steps in with a million pound screen fitting machine because I followed every step to the letter , only mine went from working but smashed to utterly knackered

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I hope his has better results than the video I watched on how to change a broken screen on a Samsung S5
They missed the step out where a Samsung engineer steps in with a million pound screen fitting machine because I followed every step to the letter , only mine went from working but smashed to utterly knackered

Replaced iPhone screen successfully.. with the fingerprint recognition hardware.. 👍

One just has to watch a number of videos and use common sense as to
who's genuine and who's amateur..

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The purpose of flux is to clean off all the crud and break down the oxidation layer to expose the bare metal. Then the solder can 'wet' the metal surface and stick to it.

With large metal surfaces your biggest problem will be applying enough heat to melt the solder, without burning off all the flux. Depending on the size of the metal parts, you may be better using a small blowtorch rather than an electrical soldering iron. Or maybe assist it with a good hot air gun. And keep in mind the solderer's mantra: Whatever the problem, the answer is more flux.

Another trick is to 'tin' the relevant joining bits (= apply a layer of flux/solder and heat until the solder wets the metal, then let it cool). Having done that to both joining surfaces, you can just heat up the two bits to remelt the solder to join them together, adding a bit of solder if necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Say i would repair it but it would ruin its resale value anytime after ?

Already told him that when he said he wanted a full restoration. He paid £55 for it at an auction in Plymouth

SIFTA SAM it's a bit too delicate for that treatment :doh: Good suggestion though:hugs:

(y) autorouter That's excellent Mr a, just the thing I was looking for, many thanks(y)

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Already told him that when he said he wanted a full restoration. He paid £55 for it at an auction in Plymouth

SIFTA SAM it's a bit too delicate for that treatment :doh: Good suggestion though:hugs:

(y) autorouter That's excellent Mr a, just the thing I was looking for, many thanks(y)
Soldering is like many other 'skills', where years of experience makes it look easy.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I have soldered hundreds of dropper wires to my model railway but would be a bit careful of this one.
Could you not glue it on, epoxy putty is good for metal to metal.

Golden Graham !

Free Member
Nov 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion1
Exp
10yrs
Maybe I'm taking this too seriously ! But, you do know that blowlamps also remove paint very quickly ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the main thing is making sure both bits are really clean before trying to solder them. If they are painted the epoxy might be a better bet.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have been soldering electronics for too many years and I would politely decline if its worth anything. Remember it's tin plate.. so probably steel underneath, so you need lots of heat at the joint which will take paint off very quickly.

Glue, screw or brass rivets would be my choice.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a thought but will fitting a new front bumper reduce the value no matter how well it's made?. I would ask the owner first if they have thought about it.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
There is a chap on YouTube that restores toy metal cars of all ages, probably worth a watch to see what he does for this type of repair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back