Help: Gaslow refill near Milan, Italy - No adapter and out of gas. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
I've been to Spain and never has a problem filling up, every Autogas station there had an adapter they would lend to me. I was expecting the same after heading into Italy, but no dice and it's desperation stakes at the moment.

I'm near Milan, does anyone know of anything that might help me get my tanks filled? Either a store where I can buy an adaper or an autogas station that will lend me one, thanks?

OP
OP
M
Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
Gaslow will send you one. Either that or get one from Amazon delivered to a locker near you.
Tried Amazon, and looks like there's nothing on Prime for Amazon IT, only marketplace, so the Amazon locker idea seems to be a no go.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Surprised that you don't carry a set of adaptor only a few quid for a set of 4 that will cover all countries.

Unlikely to find a garage in Italy with adaptors as its illegal fill hab tanks and bottles in Italy.
However you can usually find a garage that will let you fill just like Spain.

Edit:
I said just like Spain as it is illegal to fill hab tanks there as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Another thought: are you staying on a campsite? If so, are there any other British vans around that could lend you an adapter?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Strange, I get this:
Screenshot (116).png

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not just a Brit, French and German use refillables, most owners no matter what nationality will normally help out another.
It wasn’t meant that only other Brits would help, but do French or German vans have the right size thread for the adapter?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It still comes up as available when I click on the link. If you fail to find a solution locally I could try to order it for you (y)

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
It wasn’t meant that only other Brits would help, but do French or German vans have the right size thread for the adapter?
Basic answer is yes, definitely.
The set I have is exactly the one linked to, I live in France and the set was purchased from Amazo.de

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, my system was fitted in Belgium same thread. All the refillable systems come from Germany or Poland.

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Do you have a campsite address that Gaslow could send you the adapter you need?

They did this for me in Spain.

Ian

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The easiest and quickest although not the cheapest would be to buy an Italian bottle with a regulator, and just swap your pigtail over, simple.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not necessarily.
Basic answer is yes, definitely.
The set I have is exactly the one linked to, I live in France and the set was purchased from Amazo.de
If you look at that link all are the 1/2bsp thread except the euro adaptor which is 12mm. On my spanish van supplied from Italy originally it had the flat adaptor with acme thread around the outside but the adaptor thread in the middle was 12mm .No Uk adaptors with the bigger thread would fit. All mt adaptors had the 12mm thread & I was always wary using them to ensure that there was no weight or pull on the hose.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Every motorhome system I've seen, or owned have been the 21.8mm (22mm) male thread to fit the connector attached to the van, even the Gaslow ones, those other ones are new to me.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
My first gas refill system was cobbled together from bits autogas car converters were using, about 20 years ago.
I had a French dish on the van to receive the lpg pump hose. Outside of France I screwed in the appropriate adapter, the adapter had a 10mm ? male thread to screw into the French dish. Yes it felt flimsy but worked ok until I moved to the now standard gasit/ gaslow system.
So I confirm other size adapters are or were available.
Note the safefill adapters are different thread to gasit/ gaslow.

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
M
Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
Thanks for all the suggestions, there is a happy ending. After another day of trawling around, I managed to find a motorway service station with a friendlly Italian attendant who was able to locate one and turned a blind eye while I filled up. I offered him €20.00 to keep the adapter which he accepted :whistle2:

Another thought: are you staying on a campsite? If so, are there any other British vans around that could lend you an adapter?

Dammit, why didn't I think of that!? I'm staying wild, but I'm sure could have stopped off at a few campsites and asked around.

May 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Ducato 600 sunlight
You mean like exchange gas bottles being the same in each country?
Mate, ( I'm Australian)I hired a van from McRent in Rome and am touring Europe and was told at pickup that you just swap and go with the bottles or refill them which ever way you want to go. Quickly discovered that No-one wants anything to do with Italian gas bottles or do swap and go. In Australia you can get swap and go bottles literally anywhere or have them refilled at nearly every servo. We have 2 different connections for the whole country and you will get both types of bottles at every point of sale. I thought the European Union would be the same. Dumb Aussie 😔🇦🇺

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I always cite the fact that the transport industry managed to match HGV traction units and trailers so that they are all swapable over Europe and beyond. (Don't know about the Americas, but not many cross the Atlantic)

So why the hell are not gas bottles, refillable and exchange, and then mobile chargers?(although there are moves to standardise. in retrospect)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back