Help finding kitchen drawer parts (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I want to make and fit an internal drawer in the cupboard under our kitchen sink in our Elddis 175 using the same type of drawer construction as the other drawer in our kitchen cabinet, but having scoured the internet I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for in the UK.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

This is the modular construction Elddis have used to manufacture the plastic sides of the drawers.

1569240118984.png

1569240188971.png

I have found this American made Sheerglide drawer system which looks to be pretty much the same as that used by Elddis, but can not find a UK supplier or a similar product.

https://envorinex.com/sheer-drawers

I understand that Elddis have all their internal motorhome and caravan furniture manufactured in Italy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just made a couple of custom drawers for under our bench seat from 12mm pine, 5mm ply with full extension drawer runners. Main reason for this was pre-made drawers come in standard sizes that are not easily cut down to size required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
these look similar

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for your replies.

could you not use some drawer boxes from another manufacturer such as blum or Hafele ?

Looked at those and the ones on the Screwfix site but as other of that ilke, they are set lengths that don't fit what I want.
The Sheerglide drawer system sides and backs can be cut to any size to suit.

Just made a couple of custom drawers for under our bench seat from 12mm pine, 5mm ply with full extension drawer runners. Main reason for this was pre-made drawers come in standard sizes that are not easily cut down to size required.

May have to as a last resort but wanted to stay in keeping with the rest of the draws in the van. Made all the drawers for our previous PVC out of 9mm birch ply for it's stability and strength with 3mm base, but boy do they weigh.

these look similar

Thanks, but again set sizes which don't work.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do they have to be solid drawers? What about plastic coated wire/basket drawers? Or even plastic box drawers like Ikea do for some of their units?

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Do they have to be solid drawers? What about plastic coated wire/basket drawers? Or even plastic box drawers like Ikea do for some of their units?

Finding the correct size which is an odd size is the problem, hence needing to find a supplier of the Sheerglide drawer system or a manufacturer of the same concept which allows you to make drawers any size you want.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
buy a router and make your own from solid wood or better ply

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
buy a router and make your own from solid wood or better ply

Already have 3 routers and 2 laminate trimmers, not to mention a couple of Elu plunge biscuiter's, so I'm ok on that front.
I spent 10 years or so in shop-fitting and joinery, I have no problem making drawers, but as I said, I want to have the new drawer in keeping with the existing one on the van, so thank for all the suggestions but they ain't answering what I asked in my first post of the thread.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just a thought.
Do the drawer innards have to be exactly the same as other drawers or is it just the drawer front that has to be? Might be "easier" knocking up the innards yourself and getting a "matching" front.
When making up the drawers for us I just stained \ varnished the non-profiled plywood faces of the drawer to closely "match" the surrounding existing panels.
I could have got matching pull handles but as they have sharp corners and they are at ankle height I went for "rounded" D handles.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just a thought.
Do the drawer innards have to be exactly the same as other drawers or is it just the drawer front that has to be? Might be "easier" knocking up the innards yourself and getting a "matching" front.
When making up the drawers for us I just stained \ varnished the non-profiled plywood faces of the drawer to closely "match" the surrounding existing panels.
I could have got matching pull handles but as they have sharp corners and they are at ankle height I went for "rounded" D handles.

It's the drawer box that I want to match the existing, I know I'm a sad bustard, but there you go.
The drawer front is no problem as I bought a panel of the original furniture board a while ago to make a microwave surround to match the housing it's in.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's the drawer box that I want to match the existing, I know I'm a sad bustard, but there you go.
No comment!:whistle2::Smile:
As a real outside option, is anyone close to you breaking a similar model to yours?

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As a real outside option, is anyone close to you breaking a similar model to yours?

Yes I had thought about that one. I had a look around some of the caravan breakers auctions on eBay and it looks like some of the caravan drawer units are similar construction and may even be the same, the downside is I'm a bit reluctant to pay 40 or 50 quid plus delivery for a drawer unit when I only want one drawer to scavenge the parts from it.
Google says that the nearest breaker is 40 miles from us near Market Harborough so I may take a trip out there if they look to maybe have what I'm looking for.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't understand the size problem. The plastic sections are a standard joined by corner mouldings. Buy one bigger then shorten to fit?

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I thought you had found drawers but the size didn't match. If the depth is OK it's easy to correct the length / width. Your photo looks exactly like the 1960s drawers in my old kitchen.

Yes, reminded me of the same.
I'm a bit surprised not to have found a supplier of the type of drawer construction as it's obviously out there unless the Elddis internal fittings manufacturers in Italy are buying it in from the States.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Having given up on finding a supplier of the Sheerglide drawer system and previously dismissing Minxy Girl's suggestion of fitting a wire basket due to the non standard width of the cupboard, I then decided to revisit the wire basket idea with the view of adding packers to a wire basket to obtain the the correct width to fit the cupboard.
While looking for a suitable wire basket on good old flea bay I came across wire baskets with mounting to the drawer runners that can be extended to suit varying widths.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=263232161695

It's a simple but clever idea and has worked well for what I required.

1573406591733.png

1573406608871.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back