Help 2.8 jtd 2005 diesel high pressure pump leak (4 Viewers)

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi All

Can I pick everyone's brains please

I noticed a faint diesel smell outside my camper at the end of last week. Didn't think anymore about it as had just filled up.

Yesterday when I got to work could smell again.... had a look and I appear to have a tiny leak under the high pressure diese pump for the common rail.

Not even enough to drip. So far.

My trusted garage can't look at it until Thursday but I go to France for a long weekend on Thursday. ....

Has anyone else come up against this and is safe to drive ?

The photo shows the pump ( the black lump with a nut ) while engine is running.

Thanks

Daniel.

ATTACH=full]148966[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 79

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pictures can be deceiving but that looks wet through.....or its got a clear glaze on it.

Possibly just a weeping pipe gland. Wipe it dry and see how bad it gets.

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Thanks for reply. THe shine is what left of he paint on the pump.

I have wiped it clean but each time I have a thin film of diesel on just below the bolt.

I'm worried about breaking down en-Francais , my wife says if you didn't know a bit about cars I would have just driven it and not Worried

Thanks,

Daniel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Try tightening the nut - by no more than 1/2 a flat - to check that was tightened correctly originally. Your weep isn't from the pressure side of the pump as the pressures are such that any leakage would develop into something very serious in a matter of seconds. In your position I'd continue with your plans. I can't see it developing into anything that matters.

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Thanks @tonyidle

I gave it some beans on the way home tonight and there was again a thin film just under the bolt again. Not enough to drip but there nonetheless.

I suppose it can only get worse. I found an online pump diagramme and the front of the pump does seem low pressure side.

I'm still a bit worried i suppose I will know either way by the time I get to the Eurotunnel and it will probably keep me awake worrying !

Thanks

Daniel.

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Hi all

Update for you all

Took the van for a good run Wednesday seemed ok. Only a small leak.

So we went to Paris Got to eurotunnel and pump was dry. Got to Disney and still dry.

Now home after 700 miles and haven't checked as pouring with rain but can't smell anything.

So don't know what is going on!
Will keep an eye on it

Daniel

Reactions: f6c

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Has it been remapped or chipped? I only ask because a couple of months ago I saw two 2.8 Ducatos with weeping joints on the common rail within a week of each other, both were remapped. The easiest route to more power/torque on a common rail diesel is higher rail pressure which can lead to fuel rail leaks
D.

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe it has Been chipped I have had it for a year. And nothing in the historyj have says so

I'll keep an eye on the pump and monitor. It's due a timing belt before next year so that would be the time to do it.

Daniel

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I have a diesel car with a bosch high pressure pump. On the rear is a solenoid that disables the 3rd puston in the high pressure pump. A set of o rings for this was about a fiver some years back. On my car this could be done in situ. To remove was unplug wiring, remove 2 torx bolts and withdraw. Hardest part was getting everything clean so as not to get dirt into pump. If its this then a cheap fix.
The reason i did it was a fault code coming up on overun at high revs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back