Hello looking for advice (1 Viewer)

boomish

Free Member
Feb 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hello everyone, am totally new to Motorhomes, have always admired them from afar. Looking to learn & find out costs & what might be good vans to look at owning & running. Just reaching our 60’s , wife’s not a keen camper but hopefully I can persuade her with the right home on wheels, as an audio engineer I’ve travelled in a few tour buses that can be very luxurious, so I know they can be amazing homes from home. I’m pretty handy with making all kinds & tech stuff (although a van build is not on my list) so am up for something that might need a bit of extra work but I presume that goes with owning a MH. Budget wise I dunno, nothing extreme but want something well made, something that can run solar etc no Idea what the depreciation is on these things or lifespan. Sorry long long intro any suggestions where to start are welcome..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Well, a good place to start is to invest £20 in becoming a paid up member so that you have access to classified ads on here and the Motorhome Buyers Guide.
Then you can begin to ask more targeted questions such as I’ve seen a Autotrail xxxx for sale, what do you all think?

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Hire a van for a week, shouldn’t be too costly in off season. That will tell you not only if you will both enjoy but also give you some ideas on what the best type /
layout of van you want. It’s said that you get to your 3rd van before you get the one you really want so very expensive to buy on impulse.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Budget wise I dunno, nothing extreme but want something well made, something that can run solar etc
Hi and welcome

to give any targeted advice you need a budget .. and whether you want a panel van conversion (PVC) or coach built motorhome . .. there are may other criteria to decide on.. layout, fixed bed , etc ... they can all run solar..

If a PVC then there are plenty available .. but I would avoid homebuilt.. there are some good home conversions, but there are plenty of sheds on wheels and of dubious quality.. stufff you cant see like wall and floor insulation etc so I would avoid

When looking for a coach built motorhome, I look for anything made in Germany .. others will vehemently disagree .. but thats my experience.. German made vans are excellent quality and built to last

Second hand coachbuilts can suffer from damp and can be very expensive to put right.. so buy a damp meter to test before you buy .. if buying from a dealer ask for a damp report..

that is just a very quick answer, it's a huge topic, so as mentioned, pay the subs and join as a full member to enjoy all the benefits of this club.. then when you go to look you will have tons of questions which members on here will be only too happy to help with

good luck and happy hunting

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hello everyone, am totally new to Motorhomes, have always admired them from afar. Looking to learn & find out costs & what might be good vans to look at owning & running. Just reaching our 60’s , wife’s not a keen camper but hopefully I can persuade her with the right home on wheels, as an audio engineer I’ve travelled in a few tour buses that can be very luxurious, so I know they can be amazing homes from home. I’m pretty handy with making all kinds & tech stuff (although a van build is not on my list) so am up for something that might need a bit of extra work but I presume that goes with owning a MH. Budget wise I dunno, nothing extreme but want something well made, something that can run solar etc no Idea what the depreciation is on these things or lifespan. Sorry long long intro any suggestions where to start are welcome..

Buy a good second hand one and give it a try --- you won't lose much money
Your wife might appreciate five star camping in a proper motorhome..
This one might help you decide what you would want from a motorhome before you take the plunge.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Well Mrs Dram didn't fancy the motorhome life in the slightest. Eventually she cracked and agreed to try it. You want to hear the grief I've been getting in the last six weeks because we haven't been away......"but, but storms, snows etc" doesn't wash with her.

Get planning Dram or else mate. w2f :cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:welcome4:

I'd suggest renting before buying and get to some shows to have a look at many in the same place

It will also give you chance to meet some van owners

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back