Hello and Looking for SWB Coachbuilt Ideas For Starter Van (1 Viewer)

Sollophonic

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi,

Just found this great forum and have done a few searches which have been helful

I thought I'd just introduce myself and call on some expertise here.

I am looking for a first MH and have been out to look at a few that are at dealers. It is going to be mainly used by just two of us, with the possibility of using it to carry (but not sleep) two passengers

I have narrowed it down to a few specifics.

What we do have is a shortage of parking space, whatever we buy is going to have to fit outside our house on the street, or in my parents driveway (who obviously won't want a great big pantechnicon outside their home)

Not averse to having a panel van conversion, but what we do want is a toilet cubicle in the vehicle. Not so bothered about a shower, but a functioning bog and a sink in a room are a must. I don't want one of these systems where the toilet is in a tiny cupboard, so much of the panel van conversions are not suitable. Are there any panel van conversions that have cubicle toilets?

I have also been looking at the Autocruise Vista vehicles which seem to do the job, in that the over cab space becomes the main bed, meaning that there is more living space in the rest of the van. So I am looking at coachbuilt MHs, but they need to be less than 5 metres long, to fit in front of the house without inpingeing on neighbours. I don't mind the vehicle having height it just can't be too long and it must have a toilet and sink in its own cubicle.

Are there any other MHs similar to the Vista, as the design of this just seems to be just right?

Most of the Vistas seem to be on older Peugeot Boxers, which seem have their own set of issues, are there any compact MHs on other chassis, by other makers which are short in length, maybe only have over cab beds?

Once again, really enjoying coming on here doing the research for our first MH

Cheers

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
There's one just been posted in the Classified section by @Barclaybasher for £7k

...but I think you'll have to pay the subscription to get access to that section.
[might be worth it though ;)]

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi @Sollophonic and welcome to the Fun :hiya:

You don't mention your budget, or whether you want to buy new or used (plenty of people on here laugh at those of us who buy new, but I like the maximum warranty!!!)
There are a few new 5 meter models; I've just bought one, and you say you're not averse to a PVC - it has the loo space you're looking for. On mine the bed is made from the 2 rear travelling seats which you may not want to do, or you can sacrifice storage and have a bed in the roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
smiley-hello-clipart-1.jpg.gif

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome .
Had to google "pantechnicon" :blush:
PVC have toilet cubicles , it's usually the day vans that have a portaloo in a cupboard.
We have a pvc , love it. We get to lots of places off the beaten track .
Don't jump in , view many.

OP
OP
Sollophonic

Sollophonic

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Many thanks for this, all.

We are definitely looking for a used MH, probably a well used one as our budget has an absolute max. of £15K, ideally lower.

Inspired by a wonderful family RV trip this summer round British Columbia in a 30 footer!!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3: We had a Rapido 709f coachbuilt, but it is 5.5m. Great van, fixed French bed, 4 belted travel seats, cab air-con standard. Lots of other clever kit - external shower (as well as internal), external gas point for barbecue etc.

They were made circa 2002-2005. Might find one within your budget. Just google it to see the layout - it's on a Ducato base.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
auto sleeper can be a good used starter at reasonable money , Hymers are good but are expensive , but its very much a good inspection with any candidate at older end , but there are some excellent vehicles to be had also welcome , and asking is a good start ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back