Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Brother is heading south in western Australia in his RV. Stopped at a road house for coffee.
Helicopter zooms in lands on the forecourt, pilot jumps out runs into the road house picks 2 bacon butties and 2 coffees up, back in the chopper up and away all in less than 2 mins. (sorry if you were waiting for a punch line).
Just shows how different things can be in a another country.
Brother didn't have time to go get his phone/camera from his RV.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Brother is heading south in western Australia in his RV. Stopped at a road house for coffee.
Helicopter zooms in lands on the forecourt, pilot jumps out runs into the road house picks 2 bacon butties and 2 coffees up, back in the chopper up and away all in less than 2 mins. (sorry if you were waiting for a punch line).
Ah thought you were going to say he proceeded to fill up chopper..🤣🤣🤣

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Should you ever meet Nick please don’t get him talking about helicopters, he worked at Westlands for 42 years and is an expert on rotator blade vibration. Very niche, when we first met I tried to show an interest and asked what he’d do when he got it right! Didn’t go down terribly well as you can imagine.

One of our friends from those very early days ended up as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands with Prince Andrew ( not a fan ) . He ended his career as a test pilot for Westlands or Leonardos as we’re supposed to call it.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Lower down the scale.A1 Great North rd.northbound,first laybye past Bloody Oaks turn off . 70/80's " Chris's mobile diner. Going north in Tipper Hot pursuit modul,get him up on the CB. " Two bacon cobs to go ?" I am 5 mins away. Pull in laybye.leave motor going pick up said bacon cobs from Chris,pay,back in the cab and away............... Keep those wheels turning. :ROFLMAO: (y)
Tea Bag

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Should you ever meet Nick please don’t get him talking about helicopters, he worked at Westlands for 42 years and is an expert on rotator blade vibration. Very niche, when we first met I tried to show an interest and asked what he’d do when he got it right! Didn’t go down terribly well as you can imagine.

One of our friends from those very early days ended up as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands with Prince Andrew ( not a fan ) . He ended his career as a test pilot for Westlands or Leonardos as we’re supposed to call it.

When I was working at British Airports planning department I given the task of exploring ways of increasing aircraft movements at Aberdeen airport which had a mix of fixed-wing an helicopter operations.

As a fixed-wing pilot I had little knowledge of helicopters so decided to research.

I discovered that there are 16 forces operating on the rotorhead!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
When I was working at British Airports planning department I given the task of exploring ways of increasing aircraft movements at Aberdeen airport which had a mix of fixed-wing an helicopter operations.

As a fixed-wing pilot I had little knowledge of helicopters so decided to research.

I discovered that there are 16 forces operating on the rotorhead!
I believe Aberdeen is the worlds busiest airport for helicopter flights !

Spent 28 years going to/from work on helicopters am now quite happy never to go near another.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

Spent 28 years going to/from work on helicopters am now quite happy never to go near another.
Look at Flight Radar 24... there is always a constant stream of helicopters to/from Aberdeen..

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

God i hear you. I only did 4 n a bit years and that was enough. Ridden in em all from a wee Belco to a Sicorski 61 (or was it 62, not bothered). All the daft little airports top end, Sunbourgh?, Unist?, blah blah. Spelling, sod it.
And i voluntered to do a Niagra falls and a Grand Canyon heli ride, mad.
But these little i believe Robinsons a like a little go carts.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Been on one helicopter trip and that was out to the Grand Canyon and you come back as the sun goes down over Vegas.
Was ok but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to go on any more rides, it was a near brand new chopper but bumpy and noisy 😬😬

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
This Sea King dropped into my mates garden/paddock for a cuppa a few years ago ... the crew of three gave us a tour over the craft before a little aerial display after which they were going back to Manston.

1669834720200.png

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Been on one helicopter trip and that was out to the Grand Canyon and you come back as the sun goes down over Vegas.
Was ok but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to go on any more rides, it was a near brand new chopper but bumpy and noisy 😬😬
Bumpy and noisy describes all choppers.

Jan 2, 2022
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
I use to have the maintenance contract for the MOD bases around my way and one of them was a Chinnock base was offered a few times to go up in one but never did.
After looking at them they didn’t look very comfortable, wouldn’t fancy going to far in one😁😁
Flew in one to recover a Lynx in Northern Ireland. Good journey out, a lot of nap of the earth flying, but more interesting on the way back with the Lynx dangling underneath :oops2:

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
While sailing a Laser dinghy in San Carlos water Falkland Islands, I was blown out of the water by a Chinook! The pilot thought I was fair game! Being hit by a wall of water driven by a 60mph downdraft didn't do my back any good, and I have suffered for a long time since.
All of us young and stupid looking back , but where would you all be without us!!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
While sailing a Laser dinghy in San Carlos water Falkland Islands, I was blown out of the water by a Chinook! The pilot thought I was fair game! Being hit by a wall of water driven by a 60mph downdraft didn't do my back any good, and I have suffered for a long time since.
All of us young and stupid looking back , but where would you all be without us!!
Had a few hover over me when working on the base, as you say there is a fair old downdraught and you had to be very careful what you left lying around or had on the back of the truck😬😬

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
If you think helicopters are noisy and uncomfortable try travelling on in a Chinook when it’s full of infantry. 55 fully kitted up soldiers is a tight fit and really not comfortable! When you get the signal to get off you struggle to stand up (you sit on the floor), struggle to pick up your stupidly heavy Bergen and then run off the back. If you fall the next 50 blokes trample you!

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Had a few hover over me when working on the base, as you say there is a fair old downdraught and you had to be very careful what you left lying around or had on the back of the truck😬😬
Sorting out underslung loads in the rain wasn’t much fun. The 70mph down draft made for one hell of a power shower. I once got hit on the head by a Puma while sorting out an unslung load, that hurt!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Sorting out underslung loads in the rain wasn’t much fun. The 70mph down draft made for one hell of a power shower. I once got hit on the head by a Puma while sorting out an unslung load, that hurt!
Use to watch them practicing at Odiham when I was there, picking up containers and vehicles😁

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

I worked at Westlands for 18 years - 1970 - 1988. Spent a lot of time with UKSLG. I may have known Nick. Interesting.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Just herding some sheep or cattle and fancied a bacon sarnie. :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
AGAIN !! Helio-co-peters. DON'T want to fly in the first place,strong winds blow them over. Whereas Fixed wing aircraft try to get airborne on their own in strong winds. Nuff said.
Tea Bag

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The nearest I got to helicopters in the army was when was attached to the engineers in Germany. For some reason I was volunteered to go on a helicopter ride. It was going quite well until the guy in the cabin threw a rope out of the door.
I was last out of the door and was descending under some control until I looked down and noticed the end of the rope wasn’t touching the ground. At this point I must have relaxed my grip and the next thing I knew my hands were on fire and I was flat on my back with a crowd of engineers round me.
The officer said I would be better fixing things rather than trying to fly. I got free drinks all night for what I called the officer.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi.
AGAIN !! Helio-co-peters. DON'T want to fly in the first place,strong winds blow them over. Whereas Fixed wing aircraft try to get airborne on their own in strong winds. Nuff said.
Tea Bag
Helicopters love wind. Flown in them quite a lot when windy sometimes it’s squeaky bum time though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back