May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Hi All

We’re looking for a bit of advice here at Team GerTee. I kicked Himself out of bed this morning to set our heating in motion as it was a tad nippy (and definitely a ‘blue’ job) in the New Forest this morning. Now we’ve never had any problems with our heating before, but this morning it started up as usual, but stopped after around a minute. We tried the usual, switch it off and on again, same thing. Himself then noticed that there was no air blowing out of the vents and that the lights on the control panel all looked normal.

After a little while cogitating in bed, Himself decided a little basic engineering might help. So off he went and started the heating again, this time assisted by some firm tapping (with a hard object) on what he thought was the blower fan. This time the heating stayed on and whilst slow to get going, eventually the hot air was positively whooshing out of the vents.

The heating unit is a Truma Combi 4E.

So, some questions to the assembled forum:

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if they did how was it fixed?

Are these units repairable? When we originally got the van from the dealer we were told that the Truma units did not need an annual service as there were no user serviceable parts.

Looking at the unit itself (see picture) to get the front panel off you need to disconnect the gas so I’m assuming that we’ll need to find a Gas Safe (or whatever the motorhome equivalent is) engineer to do the work for us, if it’s possible to repair the unit. Can anyone recommend a good engineer of this type in South Hampshire.

Truma Combi 4E.jpg

Any advice on our best way forward would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Team GerTee

OP
OP
GerTee

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
We were on Gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am not a Truma expert but I also think there are no service requirements for the boiler.

Did you get any flashing lights up?

Attachments

• Flash Codes for the Combi D.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
GerTee

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
If the flash codes refer to the lights on the normal control panel then no, we didn't see any. If they refer to a panel on the boiler itself, then given the way it's installed in our van it would be nigh on impossible to see them.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had to totally strip the rear of our IH to remove the boiler - it was a total pain in the nether regions.

Why do makers install boilers like that. :(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had to totally strip the rear of our IH to remove the boiler - it was a total pain in the nether regions.

Why do makers install boilers like that. :(
Same in my last one too. This ones only marginally better. :(

I`ve "got away" with spraying silicone lubricant on fans before. But that is for you to decide. ;)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Can you access the fan PCB to see if receiving 12v?
This can highlight poor wiring to it (I found an old scotch lock once).
If voltage is higher can show that fan bearings are worn and it is trying to pull extra amps to get spinning (which will cook your PCB or fuse eventually).
I am referring to an older model but assume similar problems can arise with electrical supply to fan.

I was able to source the whole refurb fan assembly on eBay but in my MH requires four elbows and a fair bit of swearing to get out.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The fact that it was "tapped" and started sound to me like a sticking fan. If you can get access someway a drop of lubrication on the fan bearings may be all it needs.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
When we were at Centenary last month we used a mobile repair guy who was v competent , maybe ask at reception for his number ?

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
The fact that it was "tapped" and started sound to me like a sticking fan. If you can get access someway a drop of lubrication on the fan bearings may be all it needs.

Agree with this one, if this is the first time you have used it for a while it may just have been a sticking fan and quite often the tap to release it and allowing it to run for a while may be enough, when the fan is on just check that there are no noises indicating that the fan is catching on anything when running.

OP
OP
GerTee

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Agree with this one, if this is the first time you have used it for a while it may just have been a sticking fan and quite often the tap to release it and allowing it to run for a while may be enough, when the fan is on just check that there are no noises indicating that the fan is catching on anything when running.
We had used the heating with no problems the day before. My feeling is that it's something that 'stuck' which needs a bit of lubrication. I'll have a look around the boiler again today to see if there's anything obvious to spray.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I wonder if you have a gummed up regulator in the gas locker. It might be supplying enough gas for the cooker but not enough for the boiler. The boiler fired up but then detected there was not enough gas flow for it to run.

There was a thread a while ago about this

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Plus one for the gas regulator being gummed up. Bearings on the fan needing lube is also a possibility, can you get at the brushes or the commutator on the fan? Might need a little fettle with some wet n dry paper?

Let us know for future reference how you solved the problem!!

Cheers!

Russ

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
After a little while cogitating in bed, Himself decided a little basic engineering might help. So off he went and started the heating again, this time assisted by some firm tapping (with a hard object) on what he thought was the blower fan.
A man after my own heart (y)
"If in doubt, give it a clout, the bigger the doubt, the bigger the clout":smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back