Heat exchanger (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have a water heater ( see link https://leisurelines.net/mini6xt-h2ot-water-heater-240v-1000w-779-p.asp ) that works on 240v only, not an issue when we are hooked up but I have found out that in the states the same heater is used connected to a heat exchanger fitted into the engine cooling system, this means that water would be heated as we travelled.
Question is does anyone have any experience of doing this in a Citroen relay and does it work? Also what heat exchanger should I consider?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
can be plumbed to the van cooling system or to a deisel water heater like a webasto or erberspacher not sure if all models have the coil needed for that if you open the link one picture shows two extra connectios and one doesnt do you have two spare connections on yours

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you use a heat exchanger youll need a second pump any heatexchanger will work plate to plate or tubular

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had a Eberspacher Hydronic in the Relay 👍That went into a heat exchanger ( basically mixed hot/ cold water to a set temperature) A word of warning any pipework from heater to tank must be in copper with compression joints as the water gets Very hot and blows any push fits apart including soldiered joints😳😲 No fun stuck in a van with head stuck under a seat base looking for leaks when a joint blows showering everything/everyone in scalding hot water 😳 Push fits fine after heat exchanger 😉
On another build I used engine radiator hose to get water from engine to rear of van onto a coil of copper pipe into a barrel of water then back to engine. That gave me approx 5 gallons of very hot water after about 30 mins of van running 👍👍👍I insulated the barrel and the water stayed hot for a good 24 hours and warm for 48 hours 👍 Also rigged a switched pump to top up hot tank from cold tank so that when I drove anywhere I always had free hot water 👍😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back