Having a pedantic brain can be a nuisance sometimes (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
..... when it doesn't serve any useful purpose. There is a thread running just now asking for recommendations of places to stay in Scotland asking others to recommend aires etc.

'Aire' is merely shorthand for, 'Aire de stationnement de camping cars' (avec ou sans service) and Brain says you can't have one in Scotland cos their native language ain't French! - and indicates to me that it's now irritated - even though I know damn well a) exactly what the poster wants help with and b) that this is very much along the same lines as Jim not wanting us to keep correcting spelling mistakes on the forum ie I have to accept that - BUT! how the hell can I stop the inside of my head reacting this way when it's ingrained so deeply it's as autonomous as blinking - without continuing to enjoy the forum?

(Joke being of course that if I was to go to Coventry whoever happened to send me, it's 100 or so yards away from our front door and we both went yesterday to one daughter's house (further than 100yds) anyway!)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
..... when it doesn't serve any useful purpose. There is a thread running just now asking for recommendations of places to stay in Scotland asking others to recommend aires etc.

'Aire' is merely shorthand for, 'Aire de stationnement de camping cars' (avec ou sans service) and Brain says you can't have one in Scotland cos their native language ain't French! - and indicates to me that it's now irritated - even though I know damn well a) exactly what the poster wants help with and b) that this is very much along the same lines as Jim not wanting us to keep correcting spelling mistakes on the forum ie I have to accept that - BUT! how the hell can I stop the inside of my head reacting this way when it's ingrained so deeply it's as autonomous as blinking - without continuing to enjoy the forum?

(Joke being of course that if I was to go to Coventry whoever happened to send me, it's 100 or so yards away from our front door and we both went yesterday to one daughter's house (further than 100yds) anyway!)
And, better still, the enquiring Funster is Jake Royd from Stourbridge! And my 3rd Form humour is dying to ask whether he married Emma ... Which is bound to get me sent to the naughty step!

But, back to the topic; the Auld Alliance produced a variety of Scottish terms that were either direct translations of French, or corruptions thereof ['Achette Pie' on 1st January], so Aires is probably acceptable, with or without Gracie's [unless she's wearing them ...] :LOL:

Steve [Hon Scottish Cultural Detaché, 'cos something's always adrift ...]

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The Ms Royds usually have at least one sister, if not more, also called Emma, ISTR. (Bit like the Poly twins known to diabetics - Poly Dipsia and Poly Uria.)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
But, back to the topic; the Auld Alliance produced a variety of Scottish terms that were either direct translations of French, or corruptions thereof ['Achette Pie' on 1st January], so Aires is probably acceptable, with or without Gracie's [unless she's wearing them ...] :LOL:
I need a few courses on the matter, as loving Scotland I deffo need to speak Scottish!!!!:p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s

I’ll risk joining you in Coventry.
you can’t….that’s what a good education will do to you…
JOKE!

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
And, better still, the enquiring Funster is Jake Royd from Stourbridge! And my 3rd Form humour is dying to ask whether he married Emma ... Which is bound to get me sent to the naughty step!

Steve [Hon Scottish Cultural Detaché, 'cos something's always adrift ...]
Ah well I can dispel any link there with me marrying Emma with the following clarification.
My forum name is Jake Royd but my real name is something different 🤭😀

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you want to choke on your pedantic ways when the Tour de France came to Yorkshire they used the term Col de Buttertubs. When in the following years there was the Tour de Yorkshire the Yorkshire Tourist Board paid the organisers of the TdeF £100k for the privilege of using the terms Tour de and Col de. o_O

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I need a few courses on the theme, as loving Scotland I deffo need to speak Scottish!!!!:p

The amount of migrant works the fish woman is going to get into Scotland.

You might be better off learning two or three different languages.

No need for Scottish 😉😊

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
'Aire' is merely shorthand for, 'Aire de stationnement de camping cars' (avec ou sans service) and Brain says you can't have one in Scotland cos their native language ain't French! - and indicates to me that it's now irritated - even though I know damn well a) exactly what the poster wants help

(
Quelle Domage! I'm getting a feeling of deja-vu reading this. I wouldn't want to commit a faux-pas but I think Jim gives us carte-blanche as long as there's no politics. Perhaps the OP is just being avante-garde (although it could be a cliche) using the term whose raison-d'etre is to avoid us being stuck in a cul-de-sac somewhere. So before you can say "Et Voila" I wish you Bon Voyage vis - a vis your campaign to keep the Lingua Franca of this site, par excellence, as the Queen's English.

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
being pedantic is inside everyone. For me, just now anyway, its having someone with their hab door on the ‘wrong’ side and pitching up to face their hab door towards my hab door. Why? Bang goes any privacy that we had to sit outside and while away some time picking faults about everyone else on the site. Now we have to whisper instead

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Quelle Domage! I'm getting a feeling of deja-vu reading this. I wouldn't want to commit a faux-pas but I think Jim gives us carte-blanche as long as there's no politics. Perhaps the OP is just being avante-garde (although it could be a cliche) using the term whose raison-d'etre is to avoid us being stuck in a cul-de-sac somewhere. So before you can say "Et Voila" I wish you Bon Voyage vis - a vis your campaign to keep the Lingua Franca of this site, par excellence, as the Queen's English.

Good moaning 2.png

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
being pedantic is inside everyone. For me, just now anyway, its having someone with their hab door on the ‘wrong’ side and pitching up to face their hab door towards my hab door. Why? Bang goes any privacy that we had to sit outside and while away some time picking faults about everyone else on the site. Now we have to whisper instead
There is no wrong side, only different sides and these days all types of differentness is tolerated.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Ah well I can dispel any link there with me marrying Emma with the following clarification.
My forum name is Jake Royd but my real name is something different 🤭😀
You've ruined the image, now, Jake! I so wanted to be able to say, 'I know a bloke called Royd who genuinely marries Emma ...' ;). Anyway, back to the topic ...If you're heading up or down the East Coast, there is a lovely quirky former CL about 35 miles north east from us, within 400m of Tentsmuir Forest, with Bird Hides, n number of species putting in regular appearances, red squirrels galore, and great walks/cycle rides through the maze of forest paths. Best of all, it's only £5 per night on an Honesty Box system and that gives you fresh water, chemical disposal, greywater in the hedgerow, a flushing loo with soap,paper and cold water supply, and peace and quiet.

The link is here and the website photo is the camping field. The Beeches CL nr Tayside

Whereabouts in Stourbridge are you? I was born in Wollaston and stayed in Kingsway, Argyle Close, Wordsley and Lightwoods Road, Pedmore before moving to the Peterborough area in 1983.

Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why shouldn't they be called "aires"? We don't have a word for them in English that works so well, so let's borrow the French one.

Or should we start calling croissants "bendy, flaky, bread things"?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I need a few courses on the matter, as loving Scotland I deffo need to speak Scottish!!!!:p
I have to confess to being English, but I had the good sense to marry a Scots lass! If we get to meet you in Toulouse, I'll ask Elaine to teach you some polite expressions and the pronunciation! Glaswegian patois has some beautiful expressions, and as we head towards Autumn with its chilly mornings, we would say, 'It's Baltic in here ...'; if it's actually cold, then the next level is, 'It's pure Baltic in here'; and, if it really is freezing cold, the expression changes to 'It's pure dead Baltic in here' :LOL: Je suis vachement content avec ca! [I must get the French punctuation marks installed to be 'all Nickel et Michel'...]

Steve & Elaine

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
some polite expressions and the pronunciation!
Excuse me sir... polite? I do prefer what we call langage vert... Meaning not mature... so bad language!:eek::giggle:

Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
You've ruined the image, now, Jake! I so wanted to be able to say, 'I know a bloke called Royd who genuinely marries Emma ...' ;). Anyway, back to the topic ...If you're heading up or down the East Coast, there is a lovely quirky former CL about 35 miles north east from us, within 400m of Tentsmuir Forest, with Bird Hides, n number of species putting in regular appearances, red squirrels galore, and great walks/cycle rides through the maze of forest paths. Best of all, it's only £5 per night on an Honesty Box system and that gives you fresh water, chemical disposal, greywater in the hedgerow, a flushing loo with soap,paper and cold water supply, and peace and quiet.

The link is here and the website photo is the camping field. The Beeches CL nr Tayside

Whereabouts in Stourbridge are you? I was born in Wollaston and stayed in Kingsway, Argyle Close, Wordsley and Lightwoods Road, Pedmore before moving to the Peterborough area in 1983.

Steve
We lived in Stourbridge for perhaps 35 years. Just off Norton Rd.
We moved to Malvern 3 months ago.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We lived in Stourbridge for perhaps 35 years. Just off Norton Rd.
We moved to Malvern 3 months ago.
Small world! My first wife lived in Rathmore Close [75 metres up from The Greyhound Inn, heading towards Kidderminster]

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Excuse me sir... polite? I do prefer what we call langage vert... Meaning not mature... so bad language!:eek::giggle:
Ah, well, I do have a working knowledge of 'language vert', having worked in Social Housing Tenancy Management in a couple of the livelier areas of Glasgow ... :LOL:

Steve & Elaine

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Much of the Stourbridge area was a mystery to me as it was a major outing by bus from West Brom (between WB & Oldbury) as a child. My only first cousin grew up in Langley but when she married they bought a house in Wollaston and I only had a very vague idea where that was. When I grew up, I married and we bought a house in Kidderminster. Once I learned to drive and got my own car lots of places became much less of a mystery - Blimey - there's Accles & Pollock where our Pat worked - or this is Mucklows Hill - always thought it was more steep than this and the revelation that if I stayed on this road after going to the big M&S at Merry Hell - you land up at Blackheath at the Xrds with Throne Rd to your left and if you didn't watch out you'd soon land up back at your mothers. Best hang a right to go home and not do that then ..... :giggle:

Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
The OP is taking about being pedantic, I know what he means.
Eve and I were talking recently about if we died and chose to haunt the surviving member how would we know the other was present.

I have a 'neatness' gene I tend to line up things like leaflets etc. With the edge of the table. Also knives in the kitchen I lay out parallel and all in a size group etc.
This is how she would know.

For her , I would find cups of tea all over the place with an inch of cold tea in them.

🤔😀

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Much of the Stourbridge area was a mystery to me as it was a major outing by bus from West Brom (between WB & Oldbury) as a child. My only first cousin grew up in Langley but when she married they bought a house in Wollaston and I only had a very vague idea where that was. When I grew up, I married and we bought a house in Kidderminster. Once I learned to drive and got my own car lots of places became much less of a mystery - Blimey - there's Accles & Pollock where our Pat worked - or this is Mucklows Hill - always thought it was more steep than this and the revelation that if I stayed on this road after going to the big M&S at Merry Hell - you land up at Blackheath at the Xrds with Throne Rd to your left and if you didn't watch out you'd soon land up back at your mothers. Best hang a right to go home and not do that then ..... :giggle:
My word, talk about memory lane ! I was born in Throne Crescent, raised in Throne Road, had a business for many years on the entrance to Accles & Pollocks in Brades Road. Lived for many years by Muclows Hill.

I still consider myself a Black Country Lad despite living in Aberdeenshire for 17 years.

With apologies to the OP for stealing the thread !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back