Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Just looking to see where to fix a bike rack in garage when I saw this. Thought it might have been damage or a spare wheel carrier but no sign of damage on the top of the floor.
Thanks Lenny HB I thought the floor looked like mere plastic but the plate says 350kg max. I'm thinking of fitting the bike rack on a shelf fixed at the metal cargo strip rather than risk the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Am assuming this is to the front of the van - anchors for an O/H cab bed ladder?

That or a weird one sided battery tray?

A wood stove anchorage point? (corresponding roof attachments would be present)

A missing piece of internal cabinetry (that is very important to anchor)

Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Something was bolted to the floor you have 2 lines either side of the bots. Looks about 60mm wide. I am going with a bike rack or similar.
Yes I've noticed that but with no spreader plate on top of floor it can't have been anything as substantial as the checker plate would suggest.
We've found the van to be a bit of a mystery, having bought it last year, and it seemed almost unused and very low miles but was fitted with very professionally built shelves in the garage with three lift up flaps to access below. Wondered if it had been used commercially as a base for some sort of events rather than as a touring van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Deleted User
Just looking to see where to fix a bike rack in garage when I saw this. Thought it might have been damage or a spare wheel carrier but no sign of damage on the top of the floor.
Thanks Lenny HB I thought the floor looked like mere plastic but the plate says 350kg max. I'm thinking of fitting the bike rack on a shelf fixed at the metal cargo strip rather than risk the floor.
Here's my bike rack.
IMG_20210512_143532.jpg

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Thanks. I've seen this on one of my previous posts asking about bike racks. I've opted for the Thule Veloslide which I'm busy fitting. We thought it expensive but in the end opted for this as it makes loading easier. Yesterday built it up on the floor of the house garage and thought we'd made an expensive mistake as it holds the bikes quite far apart and they weren't going to fit our narrow garage. After ditching the grabbers and using straps were able to pull them tighter in so they should now fit (Phew!).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see the need for a bike rack when you have top & bottom securing rails, I just strap mine to the back wall with a sheet of packing foam between the forks.
One thing that does make life a lot easier is removable peddles.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I don't see the need for a bike rack when you have top & bottom securing rails, I just strap mine to the back wall with a sheet of packing foam between the forks.
One thing that does make life a lot easier is removable peddles.
You're probably right. I tried that first and, although it was the first time setting it up it took me an hour and a half. This was reduced to about 20 minutes when away last week.

There are a number of reasons why that's not ideal for me:
We have quite expensive bikes with lots of fragile parts. derailiers, disk brakes, electric controls on handlebars. Couple all that with our narrowish garage (600mm door) and everything has to be removed to get the bikes in and secured and then lots of protective stuff between bikes and camping gear.

The new rack is expensive but slides out to allow bike fitting outside without moving camping gear out. This is a boon for me as lifting bikes and securing inside in was quite strenuous. The rack also slide out the other door give full access to camping gear.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
That is narrow ours is just over 1000mm.
I thought all the DL's had big garages with wide doors apart from the Duo.
We downsized to this 7m van. Don't have the island bed anymore. Use the overcab with extensions. but have a superb, big lounge and a rear bathroom with full wardrobe over the garage.

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Back to the original post... have you considered any illicit purposes? I note the metal plate underfloor that can perhaps be lowered to accommodate something between it and the floor?? (Hmmm... they'll be expecting that... so leave the bolt tops on top of the carpet!)

If the plate is fixed then maybe it's an aftermarket floor stiffener or a fixture for a step to see into the wardrobe?!

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Back to the original post... have you considered any illicit purposes? I note the metal plate underfloor that can perhaps be lowered to accommodate something between it and the floor?? (Hmmm... they'll be expecting that... so leave the bolt tops on top of the carpet!)

If the plate is fixed then maybe it's an aftermarket floor stiffener or a fixture for a step to see into the wardrobe?!
Maybe its a conundrum, just to get us all thinking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back