Has the base price of vehicles just gone up again, in addition to January increases?? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new Cathago, and have noticed on their website, they appear to have increased the base vehicle prices ( both fiat and Mercedes)since I looked last week, circa 2.5k. If this is correct, seems to be a stealth move and is it just Cathago?
Anyone else noticed this?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Base van prices have once again increased dramatically so chassis cabs will have also increased. Getting rather pricey for new vans

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Base van prices have once again increased dramatically so chassis cabs will have also increased. Getting rather pricey for new vans
The money we paid in 2009 for a A class Rapido on a Merc with a auto box wouldn't buy the Auto Sleeper we have on order today.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
The money we paid in 2009 for a A class Rapido on a Merc with a auto box wouldn't buy the Auto Sleeper we have on order today.
What is the extra once you account for inflation? The BoE calculator shows 46% since 2009.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Our first motorhome (Elddis Accordo) cost £39k in 2016. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, the cost now should be £49k. The same dealer we bought ours from has a new one advertised for £69k!!! Some one is making a lot of money out of the current situation. Surely it must end soon?

OP
OP
G1969
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Just ordered ours, managed to get a discount, and free Habitational checks, but no fixed price, so we'll see what happens over the next 6 months!!

Oct 23, 2022
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2020
Also noticed that the Carthago options list is not available for download at the moment, so I wonder whether these are being updated (and thus increased) as well.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Bought our Elddis 155 22 months ago for £52K , at the NEC the other week the same van is now £74K ,, That is an increase of £1000 per month for 22 months, Disgusting

I spoke to the salesman and I said people are not going to pay these type of prices , if they go up any more the motorhome industry will just become stagnant as people keep hold of there current vans ,, he looked at me a smiled and said he has sold this years vans plus most of next years at these prices.

I'll not change the van at these prices I think I'd rather go on package holidays and cruises rather than tie up almost £100k in a van

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Bought our Elddis 155 22 months ago for £52K , at the NEC the other week the same van is now £74K ,, That is an increase of £1000 per month for 22 months, Disgusting

I spoke to the salesman and I said people are not going to pay these type of prices , if they go up any more the motorhome industry will just become stagnant as people keep hold of there current vans ,, he looked at me a smiled and said he has sold this years vans plus most of next years at these prices.

I'll not change the van at these prices I think I'd rather go on package holidays and cruises rather than tie up almost £100k in a van
The bubble will burst. Perhaps not for another year or 18 months but it will happen.
I remember when we first started looking for motorhomes in 2015/2016 it was possible to get a good discount on unsold stock at the end of the season. Every industry has its highs and lows it just so happens that Covid and supply issues have created a prolonged high.
I agree fully. If you don't have a motorhome to trade in, are you really going to spend £100K on a leisure vehicle?
I don't know many people that would be in a financial position to do that.

Wissel

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It's not just the base vehicles, some of the increases in components are scary.

Windows that were £200 3 years ago now over £400. The lightweight ply I use, £32 per board 3 years ago - just bought a load @£84 per board.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

On the other hand they are turning out to be quite a good investment. We didn't really want to spend over £100k on a new van but we wanted a new one and something of better quality so no choice either pay or go without.
Would rather spend the money on a Motorhome than a stupid EV car, happy to run about in my old car and have a new Motorhome. A lot of people say I won't spend £100k on a Motorhome but they are running about in a £40k or £50k car.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
On the other hand they are turning out to be quite a good investment. We didn't really want to spend over £100k on a new van but we wanted a new one and something of better quality so no choice either pay or go without.
Would rather spend the money on a Motorhome than a stupid EV car, happy to run about in my old car and have a new Motorhome. A lot of people say I won't spend £100k on a Motorhome but they are running about in a £40k or £50k car.
Is it really a good investment though? If you sell it and don’t replace it, perhaps, but only if it increases in value.
As it stands we wouldn’t buy another new van as they have got silly. Even though ours will not have depreciated the gap to upgrade has widened too much.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is it really a good investment though? If you sell it and don’t replace it, perhaps, but only if it increases in value.
As it stands we wouldn’t buy another new van as they have got silly. Even though ours will not have depreciated the gap to upgrade has widened too much.
On our current van we are getting more as a trade in than we paid for it 6 years ago and previous vans have lost very little compared with what you could have lost on cars over the years.
Agree the gap to change is still quite big & it doesn't stop there by the time you have spent a fortune upgrading it after getting it on the road, it's getting quite expensive.

OP
OP
G1969
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Our van is 14y old, and is worth 50% of the value we paid, which is not a bad depreciation rate. My question is will our newly ordered van be the same? if so I am happy paying the new price, as it is all proportional. Yes the cost to change is large, as its a big step in quality, but this will only increase
But also my view is enjoy now as tomorrow is not guaranteed, and following a near miss health scare why not!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Prices are only going one way for sure, when I saw the new prices of 4 stock vans that our Morelo dealer had in I commented that he might struggle to sell them, well how wrong was I as only one left now and that's the cheapest;) a similar van to ours but lesser spec is up for a big chunk more than we paid three years ago.

Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
As long as we buy they will continue to rip us off. Thats retailers and manufactures.
Its a joke but it will end. And in tears
GB

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
If what I just saw on TV, Covid loans could be behind some sales ?

My accountant told me he had a friend who got a £50k loan/grant and bought a new car.

But everything is going up in price, we just have to suck it up or say no. I'm keeping my 2012 model Hymer, I could afford new but whats the point ? I'm very happy with what we have and could sell it tomorrow for the same as we paid 5 years ago.

Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
The covid loans 50K a pop plus all the other ridiculous printing money has created this inflation that will kill us.
Its basic economics not rocket science.
Lots of people out there shut down Limited Co and the loans die with them.
I know of people with multiple companies all had 50k

It will all end. It always does

GB

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
but the question has to be asked ,Why? Nothing supports increases on this scale.
A bit of all sorts really, supply and demand has meant that they don't need to offer any discounts to sell what they have, the £ doesn't buy as many € as it did three years ago, then of course the prices rise by an inflation figure every year and it all adds up.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Anyone know how motorhome sales went at February's NEC show, I got the feeling sales are going to be lowish

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In light of the reports that due to the Covid disturbance to 'normal' life many people have taken stock of their work/life balance and retired early. Maybe they've bought motor homes to follow the dream, perhaps by drawing down a lump sum from their pension pots.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back