Happy St Piran's Day - spring is waking!

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
The 5th March, is St Piran's Day (Patron saint of Cornwall) which every year heralds the start of my seed sowing season and the beginning of my gardening year.

The weather forecast for the next few days may cause a bit of a hiccup (potential snow up north), but several types of vegetable and flower seeds will be planted in propagators to get things started.

I am hoping for another nice sunny summer again this year, because the winter for me seems to have been long, dreary, cold and wet.

Shrimp

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Spring has definitely sprung!
The early blossoms are out and the Willows have a green sheen to them, all the usual flowers are well under way in fact the Snowdrops are starting to go over.
This coming week will be a shock for all of that and the birds who have started billing & cooing!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Spring? It's been too chuffin cold to think of that this last week, with even colder stuff on the way.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We have had good weather in Suffolk for a few weeks now but I fear a cold snap coming this week. Remember the old saying, ”nere cast a clout til May is out” What’s a clout ?
Phil
Remember that May isn’t the month though, it’s the tree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
The 5th March, is St Piran's Day (Patron saint of Cornwall) which every year heralds the start of my seed sowing season and the beginning of my gardening year.

The weather forecast for the next few days may cause a bit of a hiccup (potential snow up north), but several types of vegetable and flower seeds will be planted in propagators to get things started.

I am hoping for another nice sunny summer again this year, because the winter for me seems to have been long, dreary, cold and wet.
Bit grey in my part of Cornwall first thing, but plenty of flora in evidence now - snowdrops, daffs, camellia, anemones, crocus and flowering cherry all looking good. Magnolia getting ready too. Shame I can’t celebrate with a pint of ‘Betty Stogs’ this year, Happy St Piran’s!
BBD292EE-F7F9-4684-817D-9427E1057433.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010

Hi Ejaydee,
Cornish born, I miss it still.
Happy gardening.
Mitch

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Cornish born, I miss it still.
Hi MitchandJenny , I am not Cornish born, but I have spent the larger part of my life here and it is where I call home! I travelled a lot of the world while at sea, but still hankered for getting back to Cornwall at trip's end.

Happy gardening.

I hope the veg garden is as productive this year as it was last!!!

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Bit grey in my part of Cornwall first thing, but plenty of flora in evidence now - snowdrops, daffs, camellia, anemones, crocus and flowering cherry all looking good. Magnolia getting ready too.

Yup, it was a bit grey here too first thing, but we have managed a good bracing 3 mile walk with the dog at Penrose (Helston) this morning and the daffs are out or just about about to bloom everywhere. The camellias in my garden are the best they have ever been, I am guessing because of the long hot summer last year followed by a cold(ish) winter, and the magnolias around Penzance are incredible this year too.

OP
OP
Ejaydee

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Snow here today in SW Poland. Not much sign of Spring.

I can imagine, I spent a little time in Gdansk in Feb/March 1999 while having the hull of a boat built there and I remember it was flipping cold, but I loved the welcome and hospitality of the people I met.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Jealous…
Whenever I see shots of the golden sand and blue sea, I ache to spin for Mackerel and Bass again in my secret places.
Moved away for love with no regrets, but my heart is there and my ashes will go into the sea at Clodgy…
Mitch

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
What’s a clout ?
Me mum used to say this when I wa ted to go camping with me mates as a kid and she'd say nope too cold not till after may. Casting clout is same as casting seeds

She said it was seeds from a plant.
I used to say that means she can't clout it me if I did something worng till after may.. :giggle:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Happy St Piran's Day, Born here, spent half my life traveling and living away, Now?

Watching the Sun rise over Falmouth Bay, or seeing it set over Gwithian, wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Last edited:

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Here in the north east, my bees were out flying today. Some of them were coming back with pollen so there’re flowers out there somewhere. 🐝

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back