Handbrake Extender for Ducato by Rare Spares. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I had finally ran out of patience & the skill to let my motorhome handbrake off when my head is very nearly at my bum, seriously, I could pop my head between my legs & kiss my backside goodbye.
Couple that to my drive being very, very steep & with a pinch point of about 1/2 an inch either side, it was driving me mad. Who the hell designed these bloody vehicles, they clearly hadn't heard of ergonomics?

So to that end, I've been searching for a handbrake extender, but the search for the gadget to fit my elderly motorhome was proving to be fruitless.
Then a Rare Spares extender popped up on the forum, many thanks JamesT@Dundee although it was designed for the later Ducato, it cost the princely sum of £30 delivered & I figured it'd be worth a try.
I fitted it today & apart from swearing at the spring falling out (fixed by my technical department, thanks Mrsambulancekidd & a spot of glue) I'm quite pleased with the results.
Obviously the handle isn't in exactly the right place so some fabrication might be in order come springtime, its a bit fiddly, but nothing could be worse that the way it had been. The main thing is that I can now hold the vehicle on the handbrake & actually see what I'm doing.
handbrake 2.jpg
handbrake 3.jpg
Handbrake 4.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Yes know the feeling bending over to release the handbrake. Wonder if yours would fit my 1997 Hymer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yer 'andbrake needs adjusting.
Looks far too high....should be 3 clicks on the ratchet.

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
The Rare Spares extender allows you to pull out the split pin when parked up and thus lower the handle itself.This enables you to swivel the driver’s seat.
The guy who makes them is very approachable and happy to answer questions over the phone.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I am only the 'technical department' because I keep pinching his tools.
Saying that the fix didn't involve any man tools. :winky:
Are you sure your the technical dept because you read the instructions and he didn’t...😂

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yer 'andbrake needs adjusting.
Looks far too high....should be 3 clicks on the ratchet.
Dunno, I learned to drive using the police roadcraft system & would have got a very painful rap on the knuckles if I'd let a handbrake ratchet up!!
You only need a Maglite whack once & you never forget :whistle::mad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Dunno, I learned to drive using the police roadcraft system & would have got a very painful rap on the knuckles if I'd let a handbrake ratchet up!!
You only need a Maglite whack once & you never forget :whistle::mad:
You and me both (y)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I had finally ran out of patience & the skill to let my motorhome handbrake off when my head is very nearly at my bum, seriously, I could pop my head between my legs & kiss my backside goodbye.
Couple that to my drive being very, very steep & with a pinch point of about 1/2 an inch either side, it was driving me mad. Who the hell designed these bloody vehicles, they clearly hadn't heard of ergonomics?

So to that end, I've been searching for a handbrake extender, but the search for the gadget to fit my elderly motorhome was proving to be fruitless.
Then a Rare Spares extender popped up on the forum, many thanks JamesT@Dundee although it was designed for the later Ducato, it cost the princely sum of £30 delivered & I figured it'd be worth a try.
I fitted it today & apart from swearing at the spring falling out (fixed by my technical department, thanks Mrsambulancekidd & a spot of glue) I'm quite pleased with the results.
Obviously the handle isn't in exactly the right place so some fabrication might be in order come springtime, its a bit fiddly, but nothing could be worse that the way it had been. The main thing is that I can now hold the vehicle on the handbrake & actually see what I'm doing.
View attachment 447449View attachment 447450View attachment 447451
Did you get this second hand? Had a look online for the spares company and it came up with an Australian supplier.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I've just last week ordered one from " functional products .co.uk"

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
I had one of these and swapped to the other one as this one kept jamming and then I could not get it to release the brake.
Sorry ...confused which one jammed there spares one the other without the swan neck?

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Sorry should read " the rare spares one or the other one without the swan neck?"

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Something's not right there? Is it on upside down?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The main mechanism in definitely the right way up, now whether I've put the handle on the right way round...........
Yeah that could be it, handle reversed, didn't know they had any springs inside, gonna have to check mine.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In the garage trade the '3 clicks' is only used to check handbrake adjustment. In normal use the handbrake is pulled up silently with the ratchet released i.e. with the button pressed in until you feel resistance, then the button is released to lock the lever in place with just the one last click.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back