Handbrake Adustment (1 Viewer)

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Had moho in for test today and it failed on handbrake, the mot station don't do repairs so I was going to get a mechanic friend to adjust the brakes as it is only about 3 years since all the rear brakes were renewed ,tophat disks shoes and pads so I hopefully assume it is only adjustment that is needed
My question is does anyone have a link to instructions for adjusting handbrake on twin axle Alko chassis, I have come across on in the past but struggling to find it as it may help my mechanic

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
not specifically for a tag axle but first make sure there is slack in the cable then jack up one wheel at a a time and remove one wheel bolt then turn wheel shining a light in bolt hole till you see the adjuster cog then it a simple click it round till it binds then back off a bit and repeat on other wheel then adjust cable

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Hand brake on tag axle have on mine always been poor . No amount of adjusting or new shoes make it worthy of been called hand brake .perhaps try different testing station?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
not specifically for a tag axle but first make sure there is slack in the cable then jack up one wheel at a a time and remove one wheel bolt then turn wheel shining a light in bolt hole till you see the adjuster cog then it a simple click it round till it binds then back off a bit and repeat on other wheel then adjust cable

If only it was that simple on an Al ko twin axle chassis,you need to find someone who knows how to do it,there is a set order,otherwise you can end up in an even worse mess.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
cant see why if all the brakes are adjusted correctly, its only another axle and a bit more cable surely have not done a tag but adjusted on alko chassis several times

Upvote 0

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
tag axle you adjust rear axle 1st as per chatteris then front axle, then the same for cables, if your h/brake is poor it's not been adjusted correctly, mine will hold on 4 clic's on a 1 in 5, I know cause i stalled it,when i missed a gear,:giggle::giggle:(y);)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks but I thought all (and backed up by instructions in the file attached by "bigtwin") rear wheels have to be off the ground together

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
If only it was that simple on an Al ko twin axle chassis,you need to find someone who knows how to do it,there is a set order,otherwise you can end up in an even worse mess.
The problem with that is there seems to be a shortage of people who actually know how to do it:(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
tag axle you adjust rear axle 1st as per chatteris then front axle, then the same for cables, if your h/brake is poor it's not been adjusted correctly, mine will hold on 4 clic's on a 1 in 5, I know cause i stalled it,when i missed a gear,:giggle::giggle:(y);)
Thanks that is some of the info I have been looking for, info that pertains to the tag axle motorhome(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The problem with that is there seems to be a shortage of people who actually know how to do it:(

Luckily Dave Newell is just down the road from us,he did ours,shame it's the wrong side of the country for you 🙁
B9E9E669-9D8C-4A1B-B6DB-91271836FA2F.jpeg

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I look forward to your post on getting a decent handbrake, after many years I’ve almost given up.please let us know thankyou.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Update
Got my mechanic to carry out adjustments as per all the info I got off here, and in his opinion and I tended to agree with him that they should sail through the test with the wheels off the ground and handbrake on 2 clicks you could not turn the wheels so must have been really fast on when handbrake was pulled fully up
Took it back for a retest and it failed again that was on a rolling road test, my mechanic suggested I took it to a different test centre that uses a g-meter to test brakes.
The first mot station I contacted that could do a motorhome of my size did use the g-meter method so I had it done there with no further work and it passed, with one advisory " Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material " he called me over and showed me underneath the van and said that it didn't need immediate replacement but if you cleaned it off and smeared it in clear grease it would prolong its life
I think the moral is , if you have a twin rear axle it is best not to use a mot centre that uses a rolling road to test larger vehicles

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
has it had new cables you can lose a lot of effort through a bad cable, the cable run on single axle alko axles is not great and goes through a couple of fairly tight bends so any resistance in the cables loses a lot of effort at the wheels,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
has it had new cables you can lose a lot of effort through a bad cable, the cable run on single axle alko axles is not great and goes through a couple of fairly tight bends so any resistance in the cables loses a lot of effort at the wheels,
No, it hasn't had cables, the mechanic said there is a bit of resistance and suggested I get 4 new cables at the rear sometime in the near future
I have contacted https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/ who I have bought many parts off in the past, the guy there told me they don't keep them as they are not fiat parts although the hubs are, he said they were Alko parts and in his words, " I don't hold out much hope of getting them from Alko anytime soon and if you do they will be very very expensive " H went on to suggest a couple of companies who could make up the cables if I removed them and sent the cables to them for a price for them to make copies
I have tried the nearest caravan /motorhome dealers/repairers around my neck of the woods for them to do the work and they either don't do that sort of work or supply those parts
So now my quest is to find some cables

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
No, it hasn't had cables, the mechanic said there is a bit of resistance and suggested I get 4 new cables at the rear sometime in the near future
I have contacted https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/ who I have bought many parts off in the past, the guy there told me they don't keep them as they are not fiat parts although the hubs are, he said they were Alko parts and in his words, " I don't hold out much hope of getting them from Alko anytime soon and if you do they will be very very expensive " H went on to suggest a couple of companies who could make up the cables if I removed them and sent the cables to them for a price for them to make copies
I have tried the nearest caravan /motorhome dealers/repairers around my neck of the woods for them to do the work and they either don't do that sort of work or supply those parts
So now my quest is to find some cables
Did you ever find any new cables for the Alko chassis? My handbrake isn’t so good🤷‍♂️🙄

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You have a Carthago bud......16 plated too. Should it need cables already? Swap it and get a Adria again ;) (y) kev
One can never have enough spares!!😉
It’s probably just take up on the hub, but you never know👍
If the adria had a changing area and a bit more worktop space I’d have kept it, the engine and transmission was better on the Sonic🤷‍♂️👍

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I adjust my own tag axle as per Al-Di. I always take the opportunity to grease the axle when the wheel is off the ground. Always passed even on rolling roads but they are not the best brakes.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I look forward to your post on getting a decent handbrake, after many years I’ve almost given up.please let us know thankyou.
My HGV mechanic pal did ours on the Hymer after I mentioned a poor handbrake on both axles. It sailed through the rolling brake test every year after.

charliesgrandad. I struggled to get replacement ALKO handbrake cables as trailer and caravan suppliers aren't permitted to supply ALKO parts for MHs. I got mine through Camper UK parts dept, who were cheaper than from ALKO UK direct. My pal fitted them for me. (y)

Another source of Fiat and ALKO spares is the Augustin Group.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back