Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Why didn’t I buy a brand new Hymer....Oh yes...couldn’t afford it. Taking 2004 Hymer 674 to garage on Monday to get an MOT in order to satisfy DVLA for import from Germany. Headlights sorted, speedo sorted, HMRC sorted...however now find hand brake is very weak....wouldn’t hold on the ramp down the Eurotunnel...garage said Hymers either hand fantastic hand brakes or rubbish ones...turns out I’ve got the latter ☹️...talking about pads, discs etc...surely it’s just a matter of adjusting the hand brake cable....or weren’t they cables in 2004 ?

Went to open the bonnet to check what Al-Ko chassis it was by pulling the bonnet release handle...just went click...any ideas ?

Alex

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It sounds has if you are dissatisfied with your truck? About time to trade it in do you think? There are some quality motorhomes about...possibly you may have bought the wrong one?

Kev

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Is it an A class body and is it a tag ?
Should help the technical guys here something to go at

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
It sounds has if you are dissatisfied with your truck? About time to trade it in do you think? There are some quality motorhomes about...possibly you may have bought the wrong one?

Kev
Well you could be right...but then it’s 16 years old...bound to have some snags...if it turns out to be a right pup I can always just shoot myself ?...besides it’s got the perfect layout....for me !

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Well you could be right...but then it’s 16 years old...bound to have some snags...if it turns out to be a right pup I can always just shoot myself ?...besides it’s got the perfect layout....for me !
AN Igloo is idea if you are an eskimo.....It does not mean its the right one though does it? (y)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Is it Ducato based? The "Automatic" adjusters on the hand brake ....... well, they stop working after about 12 months. My service garage do quite a few vans as well as the occasional MH like mine. They say it is routine for them to have to manually push some wheel mechanism around a few notches every year? Don'r know age of your vehicle but could be a simpler fix than you think.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Is it Ducato based? The "Automatic" adjusters on the hand brake ....... well, they stop working after about 12 months. My service garage do quite a few vans as well as the occasional MH like mine. They say it is routine for them to have to manually push some wheel mechanism around a few notches every year? Don'r know age of your vehicle but could be a simpler fix than you think.
Hmm...I shall mention the “wheel mechanism” to my garage.Ta

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Have you been drinking ?
Why do you ask? Im stating the obvious. You have asked a few questions that make your purchase sound as if its the wrong one? Purely a personal thought that is all....As regards drinking....Oh bless if only you really knew? Sorry but il health stopped that a long time ago...Cancer , bladder etc

Kev

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Why do you ask? Im stating the obvious. You have asked a few questions that make your purchase sound as if its the wrong one? Purely a personal thought that is all....As regards drinking....Oh bless if only you really knew? Sorry but il health stopped that a long time ago...Cancer , bladder etc

Kev
Is there ever the right one ? ...sorry about the Cancer, bladder, hormone imbalance

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sound like the handbrake cable needs adjustment and maybe shoes.
The bonnet release may be just sticking.
Sounds like a bit of general tlc needed (y)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
No worries . It works both ways ...Hormonal for you , me...."its the pills esmeralda" Or should that be Bells?

We can laugh though cant we? ;)

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Sound like the handbrake cable needs adjustment and maybe shoes.
The bonnet release may be just sticking.
Sounds like a bit of general tlc needed (y)
Yep I reckon that’s right...TLC goes a long way.....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our bonnet opening is a two person job, one pulling and pushing the lever inside while the other tugs on the bonnet outside ?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The rear braking system is a combination of disc & drum in a "top hat" configuration. The handbrake operates the drum. The shoes in the drum are adjusted manually through a hole in the drum with a screwdriver to adjust the star shaped adjuster. Instructions are available on the internet. I do have a pdf file somewhere with the instructions, should you require.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Come on ! You have been drinking haven’t you !
  • Atezolizumab.
  • Avelumab.
  • Balversa (Erdafitinib).......Read up......You may actually learn something! Oh.....Nearly forgot ...Doxorubicin Hydrochloride.
Drinking ? Laugh this off then!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you really need to follow the procedure in the pdf attached to adjust a fiat ducato handbrake. Otherwise you get a poor handbrake or brakes rubbing as many people have found out

Attachments

• Handbrake adjustment.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 37

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just a couple of minor problems so not a bad result.
The bonnet catch either needs adjusting or probably either the catch or cable rusty.
With the handbrake on the Al-Ko there is a procedure that must be followed, don't let anyone do it who doesn't know the correct procedure.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Our bonnet opening is a two person job, one pulling and pushing the lever inside while the other tugs on the bonnet outside ?
Ah yes the garage mentioned that...will give it a try.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
you really need to follow the procedure in the pdf attached to adjust a fiat ducato handbrake. Otherwise you get a poor handbrake or brakes rubbing as many people have found out
Hey great TheBig1...more night time reading !

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
The bonnet catch either needs adjusting or probably either the catch or cable rusty.
With the handbrake on the Al-Ko there is a procedure that must be followed, don't let anyone do it who doesn't know the correct procedure.
Yes I’m happy with result....could have got better I’ve no doubt but it would have taken months of trawling Germany, Belgium and Holland with all the resultant costs, time and on the spot fines, especially as I wanted a particular layout and LHD. Just got to get it through the MOT to satisfy DVLA then I can tackle any other niggles as I go along. I’m taking it to Essanjay in Poole...been using them for years on and off....hopefully they know the procedures as you mention but they worried me when talking about major works to correct....perhaps they don’t know the correct procedures ?...will print off the PDF that TheBig1 sent and I’ll have some ammunition to go with.....

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Agree, I had my handbrake adjusted by a Fiat approved garage. 15 miles down the road (on the M25 heading for the ferry) I was overcome by a strong smell of burning. Stopped and found the rear wheels red hot to the touch. Had to crawl under the van and back-off the central nut. Obviously, they hasn't adjusted the shoes, just tightened up the central nut. They got a severe blasting on my return.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
So any recommendations of a handbrake garage expert somewhere in Hampshire, Sussex, Dorset, Surrey ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So any recommendations of a handbrake garage expert somewhere in Hampshire, Sussex, Dorset, Surrey ?
Lancing Commercial.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Lancing Commercial.

Cheers Lenny HB..I’ll give them a call tomorrow

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
And if you go down there you can use the VOSA weighbridge on the A27 to check your axle weights to see if you have enough leeway on your rear axle to buy the scooter. It is unmanned and free. Just drive slowly over the sensors and each axle weight comes up on the display on the outside wall of the hut.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

So what's wrong with Essenjay in Poole whom you've previously used. Their main business is Fiat MH's/commercials. They did my timing belt and seemed competent. You can sleep over in their yard and get first booking the next day. Not too far from Winchester, assuming that is where you're currently based ???

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Reliance in Chichester have a very good reputation. Mainly staffed by ex-Hymer technicians.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back