Ham Radio - Is Anyone Around for a Quick HF QSO Tomorrow? (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm going to set up my portable HF kit on the top of Kit Hill in Cornwall tomorrow (30 May) at around 10:00 local time. I had originally planned to visit the wondrously named Brown Willy, the highest point on Bodmin Moor but have postponed as I'm suffering from a bit of sciatica. I've chosen Kit Hill instead as you can drive to the summit! Brown Willy will have to wait. :) I will be driving there in the MH so there is a MHF fun link. :)

I can't give exact frequencies yet but I will post them online on this website:

https://sotawatch.sota.org.uk/en/ Look for the "Spots" tab if it doesn't take you there directly.

They should also appear on here:

https://sotl.as/spots/sotawatch Where you can also find a map. Kit Hill is NW of Plymouth.

My callsign is M0WIV. The timings on the website are UTC so 10:00 local will appear as 09:00. I will try and start earlier if I can get up in time. :)

I will start on SSB at 80m then work down through 40m and 20m and possibly down further to 17m and 10m but it will depend on the band conditions at the time. Each change of frequency will be preceded by a "spot" on the above websites.

This is not a "rag-chewing" opportunity as I am doing this under SOTA (Summits On The Air) so an RST report, exchange of names (and MHF usernames where applicable :) ) and a final 73 is all that is expected.

I will take my 3 element Yagi and will try 2m SSB (horizontal) at the end and If I am feeling extremely brave I may try CW on HF, probably 30m but don't hold your breath on this one. I managed my first ever CW QSO this week but that was sitting at home and I managed to make numerous errors in the process. Doing it out in the field is a big step up. :)

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Blimey didn't a word of that post but I'm sure it means loads to a fellow hamerist

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I have only got 2 mtr equipment so have a good CQDX. QSO.

Must get my 70cms rig repaired

73’s. G4SKK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
DBK - sorry don’t have any kit to reach you, only have a handheld at the moment - good luck, hope you get some good QSOs. Like the idea of SOTA but need to get an HF rig first, Mountain Toppers seem nice and compact.

Reactions: DBK

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Don’t have any HF gear any more otherwise would of given you a call.

GW0WGW

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
This thread sent me down memory lane, being on the aircraft pan in Belize trying to carry out a HF test call to Portishead and nobody received my test call although Akortiri came through 5by5. Left aircraft for a beer or 2 feeling I had beaten the mysteries of HF communications 😂

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Help I think I've entered a parallel universe?

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
DBK If nobody contacts you tomorrow put it down to the atmospherics. It seemed to work for me when the aircrew asked if the HF was working😉. Once airborne they would be happy passing position reports. HF is the devils work sometimes it’s clear and next minute you might as well use a loud hailer. I hope tomorrow is a resounding success 👌

• Thanks

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Mork calling Orson?

• Funny
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just signed up to Hamsphere.
I hadn't heard of that but having had a quick look I don't think it allows you to listen to actual ham radio, just simulated stuff using the phone. There are WebSDRs you can log into which do listen to actual radio signals but I've found them a bit cumbersome. However, I haven't tried very hard with them and I know some people have found them very effective.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm going to set up my portable HF kit on the top of Kit Hill in Cornwall tomorrow
Cuh!
Nothing to do with 'Send a bread pudding to Kuala Lumpur, sugar on it' or 'It is here are not raining in Railway Cuttings also' but I have fond memories of Kit Hill. I hope your experiment goes well.
I set up a factory on the Moss Side Ind. Estate in Callington where we designed and manufactured a range of marine safety products. I lived nearby at Kelly Bray and we spent a lot of time at the quarry at Kit Hill testing prototypes and taking promotional 'at sea' photographs.

Jon Buoy Callington.JPG

Jon Buoy Callington 3.JPG

• Love It
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cuh!
Nothing to do with 'Send a bread pudding to Kuala Lumpur, sugar on it' or 'It is here are not raining in Railway Cuttings also' but I have fond memories of Kit Hill. I hope your experiment goes well.
I set up a factory on the Moss Side Ind. Estate in Callington where we designed and manufactured a range of marine safety products. I lived nearby at Kelly Bray and we spent a lot of time at the quarry at Kit Hill testing prototypes and taking promotional 'at sea' photographs.

View attachment 501669

View attachment 501671
I didn't know there was a flooded quarry on the hill but having just checked, it is there on the north side! Under the rules of SOTA I need to be not less than 25m below the summit, measured vertically, so I don't think I will be visiting the quarry on this trip. But perhaps on another trip...

It's a curious hill, on the summit is a massive tower which I understand was for ventilation of the mine which was dug below the hill. Who would have thought that to dig up the riches of the Earth you start digging at the top of a hill! :)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Indeed. There's some interesting geology and mining/industrial history in that area. We used to test designs up there all year round often in the infamous Cornish clag. According to one of my guys the water in the quarry was virtually bottomless which I found very sinister and unsettling. There will be quite few of my failed 'automatically inflating' prototypes at the non-existent bottom.
The Ginsters pasty factory was across from my units and the staff canteen was popular with us after freezing for hours on the wet and windswept hillside.

• Love It
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Indeed. There's some interesting geology and mining/industrial history in that area. We used to test designs up there all year round often in the infamous Cornish clag. According to one of my guys the water in the quarry was virtually bottomless which I found very sinister and unsettling. There will be quite few of my failed 'automatically inflating' prototypes at the non-existent bottom.
The Ginsters pasty factory was across from my units and the staff canteen was popular with us after freezing for hours on the wet and windswept hillside.
I'm amazed by the beacons you can get these days. I'm seriously considering getting one of these:

It's £250 and a monthly subscription of around £15 but the reassurance if I fall over and break a leg somewhere away from a phone signal makes it worth thinking about I think. It isn't automatic but still potentially a life saver.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
That's a very good safeguard. When I've been aimlessly wandering o'er hill 'n dale it has crossed my mind that if I needed medical or breakdown rescue (assuming I had a phone signal) I really didn't know with any accuracy where I was. I think nowadays, provided I was in range of a beacon they can determine my position from my switched-on mobile phone. I've even been unsure where I was when just following my nose taking the paths less trod when touring abroad on my motorbike on public roads.
When I was involved in the yachting/boating industry there were EPIRBs but they only transmitted a limited range SOS as a homing signal for the search people. No two-way communication.
I used to work in product development for Duracell Batteries and worked with a company developing submarine radio communication. One application was a powerful battery for the radio beacons fitted in (unarmed) exceedingly expensive practice Polaris missiles to enable their recovery. Apparently very low frequency had to be used in order to transmit through water but this, I was told, could boil bodily organs. All fascinating stuff to me.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good luck with qso's
up the hill if the skip is running.
Got rid of all my hf kit many years back
Kenwood TS50 fully activated + At50
Or the Alinco.
Using 1/4 or 1/2 wave whip.
Or 1/4 wave homemade long wire
got me all over the globe from that location. mobile in campervan back in those days. 26.285 usb
Jollyroger group.
ES22 6.680 lsb
10/10 JR1944 marine mobile
Then the skip died and along came skype(y)

If you work g0tqt tell him he's a plonker :LOL:

Last edited:

Neil Ric Tic

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 11, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740+
Exp
Getting There!
Good luck with the activation of G/DC-003 Kit Hill Tomorrow.....No H.F. antenna here, as the wind destroyed the doublet and I haven't got around to replacing it as yet!

2m SSB will give you some good results VHF wise....Listen out for Don, G0RQL, He's a avid chaser, particularly on 2 SSB.

Don't forget to post an alert!....73.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck with the activation of G/DC-003 Kit Hill Tomorrow.....No H.F. antenna here, as the wind destroyed the doublet and I haven't got around to replacing it as yet!

2m SSB will give you some good results VHF wise....Listen out for Don, G0RQL, He's a avid chaser, particularly on 2 SSB.

Don't forget to post an alert!....73.
Don, G0RQL, is very well known I think. I worked him on 40m on High Willhays a few weeks ago and I read an account recently of someone on a Scottish summit also doing the same. :)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Very interesting @ DBK.
Good luck with your experiment.
WishI had kept up with my interest now but still being a novice licence holder I would need to start over.
Still got my course notes though.
Will look again at Hamsphere and will have to think about some equipment at some stage.
All the best
Iain
2E1 CQM

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just returned home after a fairly successful morning. :) The closest contact was with someone in Saltash barely 10 miles away.:) The outside UK contacts were interesting, two from Spain, one German but the best was a "summit to summit" with HB9CRY who was top of the Schwyberg, a 1644m high mountain in Switzerland. :) The only bands I found working were 20m and 40m. 80m was completely dead as were 17m and 10m which I briefly visited. At the end I tried 2m SSB but without any response. This is something which needs to be arranged in advance I think so at least you know there is someone out there listening.

I ran out of time to try CW - and I'm sticking with that excuse. :)

I also forgot to take any photographs. :(

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You had some good wx up there today (y)
And the vehicular traffic going into Cornwall is wall to wall,A38.
Just got back.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Just got home from Cornwall and read post missed you by one day maybe next time. I have all bands up and running except microwave. Hope the day was successful G4TJB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back