Habitation side door lock solenoid problem (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Side door for habitation solenoid is intermittant most of the time it wont lock or unlock so have to use the key ,, have lubed the locks but the problem is electronic main front doors on the fita cab are fine so it has to be just the door lock .

Its more inconvenient than being a security risk as we check by using key to lock .

Will have to open the internals of the lock and door some time has some little plastic secirity buttons to prevent access to screws for lock will have to prise them out .

we are now in Belgium .

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side šŸ˜šŸ˜‰
We have a similar issue with ours, just can't rely on it locking or unlocking.

When the hab door is open, is there an umbilical type connection between the door and the van, or as in our case 4 chrome type plates in the door jamb and 4 corresponding spring loaded studs in the door (this is all on the hinge side). We have found that both the plates and the studs have to be scrupulously clean, the first thing we do is clean them with a clean dry cloth - NOTHING abrasive, usually a piece of old towel.

After a good clean it all starts working again.......until the next time :rolleyes:

If it's an umbilical, I'd be checking for electrical continuity before dismantling the lock mechanism.

Just our experience, but it might help.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've had an issue where the van didn't think the hab door was closed, so it wouldn't actuate the lock solenoid. I too suspected the pogo pin contacts on the door, but electrically they were fine. I rigged jumperwires so they are definitely connected and I still got the same issue. Eventually I discovered it was down to a lever in the door latch not hitting a microswitch cleanly. Bending the ribbon of metal towards the switch has made it work 99% of the time, but we still get occasional failures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
No umbilical only spring loaded contacts ,, if i have to open the lock to get at the solenoid switch its got security covers and the plastic pins dont seemto want to pry out ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Yeh - habitation Door Lock Rectifies itself!

since leaving the Norfolk Motorhome Show 2 months ago, our habitation door has only locked by pushing the handle internally or locking/unlocking with key - until today. We have tried numerous options but finally decided, 10 days ago whilst in France, to try putting a new battery in the key fob apparently without achieving any success. Today we stopped to do shopping whilst en route to our next stop and when the key fob was pressed to lock the cab, hey presto the habitation door locked! I can only think that the battery in fob was flat and it has taken 10 days for its memory to return. So hang in there and donā€™t panic!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
so cleaned the electrical sprung contacts its definitely they are the issue however it still intermittant unless I press my knee on the door adjacent to the contact points when closing and opening the habitation door then the solenoid clicks perfectly seems they need adjusting or shimming but does not seem any way of doing that to make them positive on contact ????

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had a similar issue and spent a couple of hours playing with those pogo pin contacts. I temporarily wired jumpers so they were permanently connected (so I couldn't close the door!) but the problem remained... so it wasn't the contacts.

Turns out that when the door latches closed, a thin metal strip in the lock mechanism hits a microswitch. The door won't lock without the switch being closed. A bit of bending if the strip and it now reliability locks again.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Ours has now decided it will lock on the dashboard button and key fob when locked from inside but not on key fob when outsidešŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
No we are travelling around at moment. At least it has improved by being able to lock inside without having to push handle. Hopeful that it will suddenly decide to work normally at some stage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
with my van its definitely the 2 pairs of 3 contacts not meeting up in the middle unless I press on the door at the level the contacts are mounted it like they are a cigarette papers width apart but with some pressure hey presto they make contact and the solenoid operates

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
At the moment working ok. Wiggled wires under drivers seatšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
OK so yesterday took the whole lower lock off the van side panels to get at the 3 sprung contacts ,,, a lot of loose fixings and the stupid way the 2 wires go onto the contacts is unbelievably poor quality mickey mouse engineering they are pushed in with no way to tighten them in the contact ?????? I will solder them on when I get home

tightened every thing up and pushed it outwards as far as possible before torquing it all down also stuck some shims under the 3 contacts on the door and now all is working as it should

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
OK so yesterday took the whole lower lock off the van side panels to get at the 3 sprung contacts ,,, a lot of loose fixings and the stupid way the 2 wires go onto the contacts is unbelievably poor quality mickey mouse engineering they are pushed in with no way to tighten them in the contact ?????? I will solder them on when I get home

tightened every thing up and pushed it outwards as far as possible before torquing it all down also stuck some shims under the 3 contacts on the door and now all is working as it should
It doesn't pass a lot of current. They only need to touch to be effective.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2024
Crawley, UK
Funster No
MH
avnmtak12
Exp
Eura Mobil 770 (2005)
Hi guys

I just bought a Euramobil 770 (2005) with this [ solenoid +9 volt emergency battery ] type of lock.
Have similar problems as some of you. Decided to take off the inside panel but can not find any screws hole or indents to
identify the panel mounting points. 31 July 2014 GAVLAD had a posting bout it. Can anybody help how these panels come off ?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi guys

I just bought a Euramobil 770 (2005) with this [ solenoid +9 volt emergency battery ] type of lock.
Have similar problems as some of you. Decided to take off the inside panel but can not find any screws hole or indents to
identify the panel mounting points. 31 July 2014 GAVLAD had a posting bout it. Can anybody help how these panels come off ?
Most are velcroed on and a couple of screws on the pull handle

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back