Habitation,Full Service, MOT, the van I am about to purchase {albeit, the tests need to be done,}before I part with my lives savings. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Does anyone, know of a person, that can do everything under one roof. The van at present is in Shotley Ipswich, and without these tests, I will not part with my life savings. I have 14 days to get all these test analysed, then to purchase the van, or loose it ! So it needs to be done next week Guys ? thank you for all your helps caroline

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That’s a big ask, Caroline. Any decent place is going to be already booked up for servicing. Habitation checks a different skill/service but MOT probably can be sorted.
You can get AA type check done but only on the base vehicle.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You could try this place recommended back in 2015 but as others have said, it is up to current owner to get any service/mot done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Sorry
Why isn't the seller doing these ????
Because, it is not mandatory to do it, if you are selling it privately. If it was a Dealership then they would automatically do this before sale. Sadly Private Sellors, do not have a legal obligation to do it !

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Your comment of ‘14 days or I’ll loose it’ has me worried, is the seller putting undue pressure on you to complete the sale knowing full well you haven’t got time to arrange all the checks and they know something??? I’d be VERY weary and if the seller has other people willing to buy without all the checks then I’d be calling their bluff and saying sell it to them then

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I hope you are getting the seller to pay for these items. That’s assuming you’re successful in finding some on red to do them.

Does the vehicle have current hab and mot, but getting close to expiring, and you prefer new 12 months.

Upvote 1
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Does it not have these, or parts of these from 12 months ago?

And how would you actually take someone elses van to have an MOT etc?

And if you do , whats to stop them selling it to someone else?

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Its such a minefield,there is so much to go wrong but the base vehicle could be checked by AA inspector and habitation by a caravan service provider,
Also check mot history with reg number(i have spriddler to thank for that info ages ago )
Good luck pampam

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
To be honest if it needs all that doing I would walk away
Hi Steve,
I am doing it for my own benefit, as do not want to pay out my life savings on a van that cosmetically is immaculate inside and out/!

However, I am NOT an engineer and do not know the workings of under the bonnet. albeit, my son-in-law, who is an engineer, is saying that it is a Mercedes that has done 32k, it should be ok, but still being very cautious, as I was bitten last year with a van, that in the end I had to send back, due to gearbox problems, and Do not want to have that headache again, of trying to extract my money from the dealership, It took 6 months ~! and for me it was HELL on EArth with worry. So it is a fantastic van, but would rather loose 1k on tests, than 25k, on buying it, without the above test Steve! Remember, I am a wee 5ft lady, on her first solo adventure on vanlife, Over Cautious, but realistic too! I hope you understand me and support me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
You could try this place recommended back in 2015 but as others have said, it is up to current owner to get any service/mot done
thank you for this recommendation, i really appreciate it, and for the feedback, albeit positive or negative, I am walking in total darkness at present

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if you post the make and model, owners of the same or similar models might be able to give you a few things to check? as mentioned by others, the mot history can be useful as are receipts etc. if the mot's needed work then there should be invoices, which might just be for parts if they fixed anything themselves.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
if you post the make and model, owners of the same or similar models might be able to give you a few things to check? as mentioned by others, the mot history can be useful as are receipts etc. if the mot's needed work then there should be invoices, which might just be for parts if they fixed anything themselves.
Thank you, Yes, seen all the invoices, and all the mots have had no adversaries and passed each time. with only minor things done, without no more than 200 each year. So the work is all in order

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Does it not have these, or parts of these from 12 months ago?

And how would you actually take someone elses van to have an MOT etc?

And if you do , whats to stop them selling it to someone else?
Hi there,
The van is being sold by Motorhome.com, so they are the Brokers,and they are doing everything/
The DEPOSIT is being held via the official Gov.org security safe, so the owner has no access to this money only the company. With this, it takes the van off the market, for 14 days, until I get all the tests done. it TESTS fail,it is a Refundable Deposit, if I change my mind within the next 14 days I also have my Deposit returned. This is a reputable company, as you see them all the time on ebay, as a broker, and we have checked them out ! Owners, pay the broker a commission when transaction is completed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
thank you Mister B,

Yes seen all receipts and garage invoices for the MOTs. the make is a Mercedes Auto Trail Mohican 2 seater, with end bathroom, 2.7 litre diesel engine. 2022

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
2022 shouldnt have needed MoT's yet though should it? i assume therefore that its a 2002 .....? which makes it quite old. it might be absolutely perfect, but i assume the price reflects its age.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Personally I'd not walk away, I'd be running away.
sorry why?

Just because I am being cautious? Motorhome.com are brokers, it is not in their best interest as a multimillion brokerage, to take on a vehicle, that is NOT suitable for selling, with a comeback, and bad feedback on this site!

They have said that habitation mot etc were done last year, and all ok, with invoices to prove that. but that was LAST YEAR, and it has been standing around for over a year, not used, due to owner's bad health problems,

So as I said, being bitten by last hm, bought from a reputable dealership, with all test certificates, it still broke down each week, with gear problems, and I had to return the darn van, but it took 6 months to get my money back. So DO NOT WANT to go through that painful episode ever again. But STILL want my ADVENTURE

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
2022 shouldnt have needed MoT's yet though should it? i assume therefore that its a 2002 .....? which makes it quite old. it might be absolutely perfect, but i assume the price reflects its age.
sorry yes, 2002! Yes over 20 years old, but it is immaculate, with only 2 other owners. no scratches dents or rust anywhere inside or out

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10

Habitation, Full Service, MOT.​

If I was buying a MH needing all these immediately I would expect the purchase price to be appropriately lower.

For comparison.....

We did rescue a MH 20 years old from a barn site.
Budget was £16K.
Only paid £9K as it needed service, front suspension, boiler, fridge repair and resealing of skylights.
Spent £3K on that little lot and then another few thousand on solar, tyres, Victron controller, radiator repair, DIY immobiliser bypass and assorted upgrades.
Sold for £17K. (Post COVID pushed prices up).

The big point is we didn't spend every penny we had, we couldn't afford to risk life savings and not have funds to fix and maintain the MH.

I wish you well and kind of understand you being willing to spend a few thousand rather than lose it all. But I have to ask myself that needing a service and MOT and hab check and current owner can't be bothered makes me wonder how much care the owner took of their 'pride and joy'.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
sorry yes, 2002! Yes over 20 years old, but it is immaculate, with only 2 other owners. no scratches dents or rust anywhere inside or out
well, thats a good start !!! has son in law looked underneath? with it being in Shotley, there is more chance of salt corrosion underneath, but if its not reported on previous MoTs then it should be fine,
have you looked on the classified section on motorhome fun to see if something on here would fit your needs? Captain Yoghurtpot has an oldie but goodie on there (as do others!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Thank you, your absolutely right on the above, but owner wont budge on price, I've asked for wiggle room, and also if the value is decreased, the broker wont give me a 6 month warranty on the van. That is the caveat, so obviously owner has to pay commission on the sale to brokerage

Upvote 1
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
well, thats a good start !!! has son in law looked underneath? with it being in Shotley, there is more chance of salt corrosion underneath, but if its not reported on previous MoTs then it should be fine,
have you looked on the classified section on motorhome fun to see if something on here would fit your needs? Captain Yoghurtpot has an oldie but goodie on there (as do others!)
Thank you , my engineering son-in-law, is going over tomorrow to check it out for me, so without his YES, I am not proceeding. But I did take a fellow man friend on Saturday, who spend over 2 years going over it as well, and he couldn't find anything wrong either, but

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Your comment of ‘14 days or I’ll loose it’ has me worried, is the seller putting undue pressure on you to complete the sale knowing full well you haven’t got time to arrange all the checks and they know something??? I’d be VERY weary and if the seller has other people willing to buy without all the checks then I’d be calling their bluff and saying sell it to them then
thank you, no pressure, as i have already said, if I cant get these tests done within the time limit, I will walk away, as it wasn't meant to be basically. There is Apparently another 5 people booked in to see it, next week , but the broker, has delayed them all until I've made up my mind. hence the 14 day scenario. He seems like a nice bloke, with no pressures on me or my man friend,I took with me, NOT my boyfriend hahah. just someone who knows about cars really

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Oh dear! As others have said, these checks should be done by the seller, not you. It’s so very easy to be conned into parting with your cash through exerting subtle indirect pressure. If they have 5 people booked to see the van then great for them! They certainly wouldn’t be holding it for 14 days for you, as a favour. It doesn’t work like that.

Honestly, honestly, I would :imoutahere:walk away and contact someone like Simon Select who is honest and who will treat you with courtesy and patience while you choose your dream van. He will stand by his name and make sure that you’re happy. None of this nonsense about doing all these checks yourself, all without the guarantee.

I really do smell a rat, as do others here. Please, go and see someone reputable so your money and well-being is not put at needless risk.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Oh dear! As others have said, these checks should be done by the seller, not you. It’s so very easy to be conned into parting with your cash through exerting subtle indirect pressure. If they have 5 people booked to see the van then great for them! They certainly wouldn’t be holding it for 14 days for you, as a favour. It doesn’t work like that.

Honestly, honestly, I would :imoutahere:walk away and contact someone like Simon Select who is honest and who will treat you with courtesy and patience while you choose your dream van. He will stand by his name and make sure that you’re happy. None of this nonsense about doing all these checks yourself, all without the guarantee.

I really do smell a rat, as do others here. Please, go and see someone reputable so your money and well-being is not put at needless risk.
I don't smell a rat as it's under motorhome.com
I think this is normal procedure for them.

The van may still be a dog but 2 owners, Merc engine, 32k, immaculate with history makes it a sought after van. and the OP got bitten good and proper previously, I think she's taking the right course.

Would still have been better with Simon though 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back