Habitation Electrics (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
Hi, I hope someone might be able to help.

We purchased our 2012 motorhome a couple of months ago and habitation electrics have always been a bit temperamental which i put down to the low powered leisure battery that was fitted. I recently upgraded these to new 2 x banner 110ah batteries, which i though would resolve the issues, but unfortunately not.

The habitation electrics work fine when connected to a mains hookup, but only works intermittently when connected to the battery. I think it might be a relay sticking somewhere, but whilst I'm comfortable with domestic electrics I'm trying to get to grips with 12v motorhome wiring.

The distribution box CBE DS300-TR and I have a attached a photo of the wiring. I have put a multimeter across the -B2 +B2 connections and only get 0.5v whilst -B2 +B1 (which is not connected) is 12.4v.

Could it be a fuse in the CBE Boites Relais Securite? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1097.jpeg
    IMG_1097.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
Update......

I've checked the fuses on both CBE relay boxes, but not sure how to check relays themselves,. Both boxes have power to them, but doesn't seem to be getting to distribution box. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks again

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It would probably help if you said which 12v bits were not working.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The relays you are referring to are the direct connection points for the start battery and the habitation batteries to the hab side electrics
There will be a yellow wire I think that will switch both relays when the engine is running..
The one connected to the start battery should have alternator voltage on its output side with the engine running..that will indicate its working..
The second relay is also switched by the engine run signal as well as the control panel..
With the engine off and on hook up there will be charger voltage (assuming the mains charger is switched on )on that relays output side..if you then turn the control panel on you should see the charger voltage on the leisure batteries..indicating that its working..
You may well be able to hear the relays clicking anyway.. ..
Hope you understand what I'm trying to say
?..

Andy..

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Is there a reason for having nothing connected to B1? Looking at your picture I am having difficulty seeing the brass stud I would expect to see at B1.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Is there a reason for having nothing connected to B1? Looking at your picture I am having difficulty seeing the brass stud I would expect to see at B1.
On the ds300 board with the tr suffix ..ie I suppose specific to triango that stud is vacant..
That's certainly the case with mine as well..my set up uses the two main relays .. But I know some dont
Andy

OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
It would probably help if you said which 12v bits were not working.

Thanks for the response. None of the 12v electrics are working when EHU is connected apart from the control panel.

OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
The relays you are referring to are the direct connection points for the start battery and the habitation batteries to the hab side electrics
There will be a yellow wire I think that will switch both relays when the engine is running..
The one connected to the start battery should have alternator voltage on its output side with the engine running..that will indicate its working..
The second relay is also switched by the engine run signal as well as the control panel..
With the engine off and on hook up there will be charger voltage (assuming the mains charger is switched on )on that relays output side..if you then turn the control panel on you should see the charger voltage on the leisure batteries..indicating that its working..
You may well be able to hear the relays clicking anyway.. ..
Hope you understand what I'm trying to say
?..

Andy..

Hi Andy. I hear clicking from Distributions box when i turn battery power and light switch on at control panel.

OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
On the ds300 board with the tr suffix ..ie I suppose specific to triango that stud is vacant..
That's certainly the case with mine as well..my set up uses the two main relays .. But I know some dont
Andy

Yes Andy, there is no stud, just a hole for where one would be and pcb.

OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
For whatever reason there is no voltage to the Distribution box (DB) when control panel is on. As mentioned something clicks when I switch on light switch on control panel (CP), but still no voltage at DB. I will take a closer look at CP tomorrow to see if there’s anything obvious. I’m wondering if has anything to do with a low voltage battery protection cutoff, but just guessing now.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks for the response. None of the 12v electrics are working when EHU is connected apart from the control panel.
I thought you said your hab side worked ok when on hook up...

The habitation electrics work fine when connected to a mains hookup,

For whatever reason there is no voltage to the Distribution box (DB) when control panel is on.
that indicates that the main relay that is connected to the hab battery is either not switching or the main fuse in it is open circuit..
try switching the control panel on and monitor the voltage on the yellow wire that comes into one of the connections at the top of the main relay.. im pretty sure you can probe it with a multimeter... that wire switches the coil on the relay , and should have have a voltage present with the control panel on...

you may well here clicking from the distribution board when you operate switches.. but they should be single clicks not a series of clicks as that to me would indicate something wrong on the board ..it has a few relays on it, but im deaf as a post and can't hear them :LOL:

I would have thought your control panel would switch off if the battery voltage fell to low, but in any case you need to check the start and hab battery voltages so that you know which one you are seeing while checking connections on the main relays and the distribution board..
Andy
edit..

you could I suppose bypass the main relay with a piece of suitably fused wire and that would connect your hab battery directly to the distribution board

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
Hi Andy. Yes, everything works fine on EHU. I did test the fuses in the relay boxes and they were good. The DB only clicks once when I turn light switch on, but as there is no voltage from the hab battery no circuits are being made. I will try what you suggest tomorrow and see if I can bypass the relay switch . If that works I only need to replace the relay box.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If that works I only need to replace the relay box
Not necessarily. That relay is switched from the control panel via the distribution box by the yellow wire I referred to..I think its the yellow wire from three terminal connector block J11 on the distribution board..
If there's no voltage on that then the main relay could be ok and its a switching fault via the distribution board..
Andy
Edit ..
Also check the small 5amp fuse that's inside the main relay box.. It feeds a red wire that goes to the same terminal ie J11 on the distribution board..

OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
Ok..so the issue turns out to be a bad solder joint or cracked PCB on the distribution box circuit board. After I had loosened the board from the housing I noticed that when I moved the board slightly the lights came on. I checked for loose connections but when I 'flexed' the board they went on and off. So I just need to try a relocate a replacement as the CBE DS300-TR seem harder to find than CBE DS300 non TR variant though I'm not sure what the difference is. Any ideas?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ok..so the issue turns out to be a bad solder joint or cracked PCB on the distribution box circuit board. After I had loosened the board from the housing I noticed that when I moved the board slightly the lights came on. I checked for loose connections but when I 'flexed' the board they went on and off. So I just need to try a relocate a replacement as the CBE DS300-TR seem harder to find than CBE DS300 non TR variant though I'm not sure what the difference is. Any ideas?
Good that you have located the fault?
I'd be giving a diy repair a go with a soldering iron if its just a soldered joint or dodgy track on the PCB..
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Try marcle leisure for a board if you end up having to get one..
They appear to be cbe agents..
Andy

Oct 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
TI Chausson Welcome
Hallo Andi,
ich bin neu im Forum. Ich habe jetzt das gleiche Problem. Obwohl der Akku geladen ist und das Licht am Panel leuchtet, funktioniert die Elektrik im ganzen Reisemobil nicht.
Wenn ich jedoch das gelbe Kabel an B1 anschließe schaltet das Sicherheitsrelais und insgesamt liegt wieder Spannung an.
Konntest du die CBE reparieren?

Oct 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
TI Chausson Welcome
Hello Andy,
I am new to the forum. I now have the same problem. Although the battery is charged and the light on the panel is on, the electrics in the whole motorhome do not work.
However, when I connect the yellow cable to B1, the safety relay switches and there is voltage again.
Were you able to repair the CBE?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hallo Andi,
ich bin neu im Forum. Ich habe jetzt das gleiche Problem. Obwohl der Akku geladen ist und das Licht am Panel leuchtet, funktioniert die Elektrik im ganzen Reisemobil nicht.
Wenn ich jedoch das gelbe Kabel an B1 anschließe schaltet das Sicherheitsrelais und insgesamt liegt wieder Spannung an.
Konntest du die CBE reparieren?
Guten Abend, dein Problem klingt nach einem defekten Relais im CBE DS300

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Translation please,
Hello Andi, I'm new to the forum. I have the same problem now. Although the battery is charged and the light on the panel is on, the electrics in the entire motorhome do not work. However, if I connect the yellow cable to B1, the safety relay switches and overall voltage is applied again. Were you able to fix the CBE?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hello Andy,
I am new to the forum. I now have the same problem. Although the battery is charged and the light on the panel is on, the electrics in the whole motorhome do not work.
However, when I connect the yellow cable to B1, the safety relay switches and there is voltage again.
Were you able to repair the CBE?
Hi.. and welcome to the forum.. I'm assuming it's me you are asking about the repair to the board... I cant answer that.. the lad with the problem was Chris137
He may be able to answer ..
If your control panel is switched on then the relay that connects the habitation battery to the distribution board should be closed.. thats the yellow wire should be supplying the relay coil....
on the habitation relay..it does that whenthe engine is running or when the control panel is switch..
I'm not sure what you mean when you say when I connect the yellow cable??
If you mean you supply it with 12v and the relay operates then as you say the supply from the distribution board is down.. and first look would be the connector block on the board and in the relay housing box..
Andy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris137
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
Hi Andy.

I didn't fix the problem as there was intermittent break on the circuit board which I couldn't locate. I used rubber band on the board to give it a slight flex which seemed to work as temporary fix. I then sourced a new control box and just switched over the circuit boards. Good luck Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back