Habitation door lock malfunction (1 Viewer)

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Would appreciate any help or observations with our door lock problem on our Auto trail Comanche

We always use the central locking fob to lock and unlock hab door but last night when we locked the door before bed my wife noticed the small silver part of the lock handle was not clicking inward indicating that it was locked , I tried a few times pressing fob to lock and unlock but all the small silver part does is move a very small amount then goes back to where it was . I tried using the key from the outside and it locks ok but we can't lock it from the inside. when locked with the key it will unlock with the fob.
I include pictures of door, close up of lock in unlock position and one of it in lock position
IMG_3412.jpg
IMG_3414.jpg
IMG_3413.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you can see a flexible cable going to the door then wriggle it whilst clicking, any cable that flexes will eventually fail, just like the Hoover and Iron.

OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
If you can see a flexible cable going to the door then wriggle it whilst clicking, any cable that flexes will eventually fail, just like the Hoover and Iron.
Tried that ,but dont think it could be that as I said when I lock it with the key it opens fine with fob , but thanks anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Not uncommon on Hartal doors,locking system wear out or break as they are un lubricated and made of monkey metal! You'll need to take the
moulding off the inside of the door to get at it so you can see what is going on.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hartal :xThumb: you'll like the price of a new mechanism NOT!
don't know if you can still view the parts pages:xangry:

Broken Link Removed

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Check that you aren't leaving the outside lock in the deadlock position. This will stop you from locking it internally.

On ours, from memory, the key needs to be vertical ( when looked at from outside) as opposed to horizontal.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You could try pressing the licking button that’s in the cab, that might reset it with any luck.

Ours went faulty and had to be replaced. Seems to be the grease that dries out on the mechanism that stops it working properly.

It was around £110 from AT if I remember right.

Easy enough to replace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
You could try pressing the licking button that’s in the cab, that might reset it with any luck.

Ours went faulty and had to be replaced. Seems to be the grease that dries out on the mechanism that stops it working properly.

It was around £110 from AT if I remember right.

Easy enough to replace.

Thanks , how long ago did you pay £110 ,and does the internal skin have to be removed to fit it

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks , how long ago did you pay £110 ,and does the internal skin have to be removed to fit it
Was about 2 years ago. There are step by step instructions on FB, will try and find them for you but I think the cab button will be your answer. Operate the cab button a few times then ry key in door again.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Was about 2 years ago. There are step by step instructions on FB, will try and find them for you but I think the cab button will be your answer. Operate the cab button a few times then ry key in door again.

Many thanks would appreciate any more help you can provide , tried operating the cab button quite a few times but still does not lock the door , the key does work though ,not had a problem with the key operation at all

OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
The problem seems to have gone away , after locking door manually then later pressing the dash switch repeatedly, will have a look at greasing the lock when I get home

OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Thought I would just update , before it was sorted I had emailed Auto Trail with my build number to enquire about a new lock ,below is a copy of their email answer

Good Morning Mr Tucker,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately, we no longer have the lock in stock due to this no longer using the habitation door on our vehicles anymore.

You will need to try a company called O’Leary Motorhomes.

The habitation door that was fitted was a EuraMax door.

They can be contacted on 01482 868632.

Regards,

Amy Johnson

Customer Services Team

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Try cleaning the electrical contacts on the door. It happened on our Tracker and whilst lock worked perfectly it was not getting the signal/power to actuate the lock.

Ours were about the bottom 1/3 of the door below the lock. Two pads and opposite two sprung loaded plunger contacts.

We just used a scotch pad on them. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back